User-generated content (UGC) is content that users contribute to an app, and which is visible to or accessible by at least a subset of the app's users. Objectionable content is content that violates our policies.
Apps that contain or feature UGC must:
- implement robust, effective and ongoing UGC moderation, as is reasonable and consistent with the type(s) of UGC hosted by the app;
- provide a user-friendly, in-app system for reporting and removal of objectionable UGC;
- In the case of live-streaming apps, problematic UGC must be removed in as close to real-time as reasonably possible; and
- provide safeguards to prevent in-app monetization from encouraging objectionable user behavior.
Apps whose primary purpose is featuring objectionable UGC will be removed from Google Play. Similarly, apps that end up being used primarily for hosting objectionable UGC, or that develop a reputation among users of being a place where such content thrives, will also be removed from Google Play.
- Promoting sexually explicit user-generated content, including implementing paid features that principally encourage the sharing of objectionable content.
- Apps with user generated content (UGC) that lack sufficient safeguards against threats, harassment, or bullying, particularly toward minors.
- Posts, comments, or photos within an app that are primarily intended to harass or single out another person for abuse, malicious attack, or ridicule.
- Apps that continually fail to address user complaints about objectionable content.