Health & Wellness News + Research August + September 2018: The WellBe Wrap-up -The WellBe Podcast with Adrienne Nolan-Smith (getwellbe) - The WellBe Podcast
In the August + September 2018 WellBe Wrap-up we covered a number of big news stories that dropped, as well as a few studies that have big implications for our health. Here are the top 8 that we thought you needed to know to protect yourself and your family, and which show some big moments in the wellness and integrative health movement.
* Major pediatrician group, The American Academy of Pediatrics, issued a statement warning of harmful effects of plastic in kids’ food.
* A jury awarded $289 million in damages to Dewayne Johnson in historic verdict. Johnson claimed that his terminal cancer was caused by Monsanto’s Roundup weed killer.
* Two new studies ranked different sports based on their impact on longevity and mental health. The winners both surprised us and clued us into the power of community.
* New research shows a link between estrogen and migraines, which is a big break in the puzzle surrounding the root cause of migraines.
* Plant-based meal options at hospitals are now the law in California, and a new study shows that healthy meal delivery post-discharge from a hospital helps reduce 30-day hospital readmissions.
* A top breast cancer doctor and the chief medical officer at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center was exposed for failing to report millions of dollars from pharmaceutical companies. He then resigned.
* The EPA has been busy undoing regulations that protect the environment (and our health), including weakening regulations of coal-fired power plants, relaxing requirements for dealing with methane leaks, and re-assessing the use of asbestos. But an appeals court overturned the EPA’s denial to halt the use of a toxic chemical on food crops.
* The FDA approved the first ever digital app to be marketed as a contraceptive birth control method.
You can read this whole wrap-up with links to the studies and you probably want to sign up for our newsletter while you're there!
Oh and you definitely want to follow us on Instagram. :)