282: Seth Godin - You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See - The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk
The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk
Episode #282: Seth Godin - You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
"In a crowded marketplace, fitting in is a failure. In a busy marketplace, not standing out is the same as being invisible."
* Commonalities of sustaining excellence:
* It changes over time
* Must be willing to fail - "Okay... Will I do things that might not work?"
* Some of Seth's failures: many teaching mistakes, tried to build philanthropy platform that failed, blog has failed at times
* How to handle a slump? - "There's no such thing as a long slump."
* Stephen J. Gould - "The real problem is how you respond to the failure. You can't tell yourself a story that's not true."
* Have honest self talk -- "This isn't a slump."
* Stanford MBA - Friends with Chip Conley. "Everyone there feels like a fraud or an arrogant jerk. I felt like I was drowning. The sessions with Chip changed my life." Chips "Random Acts of Initiative" were life changing. Chip taking initiative and not fearing rejection. Remarkable.
* Empathy - A mentor wants to see you do things that are bold, leap forward because of them.
* Be a mentor - "Make the world shinier. Bring life to more causes."
* Economy of words - "I made the decision to write like I talk."
* "Talking isn't better because you're afraid."
* The book publishing world and why Seth chose to traditionally publish This Is Marketing
* What percentage of Seth's success is luck? "98.2%" The final 1.8% is "relentless persistence." "The 98.2% is the parent lottery."
* How to deal with rejection after rejection...
* "Culture IS strategy. How we treat people. It's hard to do the things we're proud of."
* "Great ones have better clients."
* Side hustle advice -- Start it on the side so that you don't have to make money at it right away. You can choose your clients and never just "do it for the money."
* "Exactly. Great advice."
* Keys to storytelling - "We have too much stuff."
* Better understand the story you're telling yourself.
* Why joining The Learning Leader Circle is a good idea
* Use the "Get To Know You Document"
"Luck for me is 98.2% of it. The other 1.8% is relentless persistence."
* Follow Seth's writing on Twitter: @ThisIsSethsBlog
* Read: This Is Marketing
* Connect with me on LinkedIn
* Join our Facebook Group: The Learning Leader Community
* To Follow Me on Twitter: @RyanHawk12