Ep. 080: How Volunteering Can Help You Get a Job, with Mark Anthony Dyson - Find Your Dream Job: Insider Tips for Finding Work, Advancing your Career, and Loving Your Job
Volunteering is an important component to any job search, and can benefit the job seeker in myriad ways. So says this week's guest, Mark Anthony Dyson. While most volunteer gigs won't lead to a formal job offer, Mark argues that giving your time and energy as a volunteer helps you stand out from the crowded field of job seekers.
Here some of the many benefits to volunteer service:
* It's a great way to network within an industry or an organization you want to work for.
* It shows value-alignment between you, your peers, and target organizations.
* It allows you to showcase your professional skills or learn new skills
* It give you a chance to help others, who may, in turn, be able to help you
* It can fill in employment gaps in your resume.
* It can make you feel better about yourself and your job search. This Week's Guest: Mark Anthony Dyson
Mark Anthony Dyson is a career consultant who helps unemployed, underemployed, and under-appreciated job seekers. Mark’s advice has appeared in U.S. News & World Report, Monster, Fox Business and TIME magazine. He’s also the founder of the award-winning career blog and podcast, The Voice of Job Seekers. This Week's Job Search Resource
Ben’s resource this week is the website VolunteerMatch. It matches volunteers with organizations in search of volunteers and vice versa. The are thousands of volunteer opportunities in a hundred different cities and even virtual volunteer positions. This Week's Listener Question
Jessica, Ben, and Mac offer advice to Mary Anne Rice who wants to know if she should be her authentic self in a job interview.
If you would like the team to answer a job-related question or if you’ve found a job resource you think everyone should know about email it to email@example.com or call at 716-JOB-TALK. If we use your question on the air, you will receive either a copy of our new book, Land Your Dream Job Anywhere or a Mac’s List Coffee Mug, your choice.
If you like this show, please help us by rating and reviewing our podcast on iTunes. We appreciate your support!
Opening and closing music for Find Your Dream Job provided by Freddy Trujillo, www.freddytrujillo.com.