With the U.S. Coast Guard app, you can:
- Identify the boating safety laws, requirements and resources available in your home state, the state where you keep your vessel or the state where you are planning to operate.
- Request a vessel safety check from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Determine what safety equipment you are required to carry by law based on the size and type of vessel you are operating. The app also recommends additional safety equipment you might want to consider.
- File a float plan with up to three friends, loved ones or other responsible parties. While you cannot file a float plan directly with the Coast Guard, the app helps you develop a float plan that will allow your responsible party to provide search and rescue coordinators with important information they can use to facilitate a missing or overdue boater case.
- Review the most commonly sought out navigational “rules of the road.”
- Access weather information from the closest NOAA buoy to your current location.
- Report a navigational hazard to the Coast Guard – this could be a buoy or marker out of place, a sunken vessel or some other obstacle obstructing safe passage of a Federal waterway.
- Report pollution to the Coast Guard – from a minor oil sheen at the dock to a major pollution event, you can help protect our marine environment.
- Report suspicious activity to the Coast Guard – if you see something, say something! We all have a shared responsibility for homeland security.
While the U.S. Coast Guard app will help you better prepare for your time on the water and may help you contact the Coast Guard in an emergency, it is not a replacement for a VHF-FM marine radio, EPIRB, safe boating classes and common sense. Learn more about being a responsible boater at http://www.uscgboating.org/.
The U.S. Coast Guard app is a self-contained mobile application that resides solely on your mobile device. Information about yourself, your vessel and your current or past locations is only shared with the Coast Guard when you choose to do so.
Please note: RYA Members can run unlimited trips for FREE. Non-members will need to purchase SafeTrx trip credit to commence a trip. SafeTrx trips can be purchased within the App for as low as £0.13 per trip.
Registering vessel and journey information couldn’t be any easier. Follow an easy to understand registration process to register your contact and vessel details within the application. Once your contact details and emergency contact information is saved, you may begin planning your journey. Using built in maps, select a starting point, an optional waypoint and an end destination. Add to this an ETA, the type of trip and the number of persons on board your vessel. Once this is completed simply press the ‘set sail’ button when you are ready to start your journey.
Pressing ‘set sail’ will register the journey details with the Royal Yachting Association computer server and will activate position reporting in the App. At regular intervals the App will send a position report to the server and your emergency contacts will be automatically alerted 30 minutes after the journey exceeds the ETA.
At any stage during the journey you can end your trip, revise the ETA, number of people on board or the destination.
Exclusive RYA Member Benefits:
As an RYA Member, you have access to a number of extra features within RYA SafeTrx:
- Access to ‘Performance Mode’ - a race tracker which records GPS location data every 10 metres and provides trip analytics to review your racing performance.
- Record unlimited trips using both Alert and Performance Modes for FREE.
- Exclusive ‘My Stats’ section in the RYA SafeTrx Boater Portal providing statistics on all trips undertaken. Share your stats on Facebook, email them to a friend or save them as a PDF.
*Please note - The information and functions provided in the App are provided on the understanding that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to use of the App. Safety at sea is a serious consideration. In emergency circumstances, you should not rely solely on the information and functions provided in this application, but seek information and assistance from as many sources as possible. The App may provide you with information and assistance relevant to your current location, as determined by your Device. However the mobile devices and the telecommunications systems that support mobile devices are inherently unreliable and there is a risk that there will be no connectivity between your Device and global positioning systems from time to time. We cannot guarantee uninterrupted connectivity between your Device and global positioning systems. You assume all such risk when using the App. The App is intended to be used as a supplementary tracking aid and should not be used as your only vessel communication or safety device.