As one of four interactive tablet apps in the Adventures on Pepi’s island social skills curriculum, Camp Insight teaches elementary-age children emotional literacy.
The child plays this educational game with a parent, teacher, or counselor, hosted on a virtual island by Pepi, a talkative, savvy parrot. Cathy Counselor is an “insightful” camp guide who helps Players recognize emotions, interact better with others’ feelings, and express their own feelings more appropriately.
There are six Camp Insight chapters, each set in a different part of the camp. After learning Concepts from Cathy Counselor, the app presents real life social situations for Players to solve through multiple choice or by typing short answers. Players earn points and collect bead “treasure” in their Treasure Chest and can see their progress with a colorful turtle piece on their Game Board.
• This game-based Adventure is intended for kids (ages 6-12).
• Camp Insight is great for those on the autistic spectrum.
• Up to four players can use the app with individualized scoring.
• Tablet sound should be turned on to benefit from multi-media content.
• All curriculum functions contained in app; wifi connection needed to access
• Players awarded a Caring Camper Badge at the end of this adventure.
Keywords: Emotional literacy, EQ, expressing emotions, recognizing faces, Autism Spectrum, ASD, Aspergers