The Rekenrek tool helps to build a deeper understanding of number concepts and relationships.
Make visual models that help explore mathematical thinking related to:
• understanding number relationships using anchors of 5 and 10
• representing numbers in different ways, composing and decomposing numbers
• subitizing (instantly seeing “how many”)
• counting principles
• understanding addition and subtraction
• developing multiplicative thinking
• visualizing division facts
• Adjust the number of rows.
• Choose a background colour and bead colours.
• Drag the rods to compare values.
• Hide beads with one of the two resizable shades. Shades can be repositioned to focus attention.
• Communicate your thinking or highlight various features of your representation using the “pencil” button.