Relative time (chronostratic) subdivisions of the Earth's geology versus absolute time (chronometric) in millions of years for the entire Phanerozoic.
No advertisement - simply freeware.
Some basic information on climate, animals and geology are included.
GeoTime is freeware - and will be forever. My first attempt was to have a reference on geological times for my own -
I still get lost with these Kimmeridgians and Bartonians...
If you like it, I would be grateful for suggestions, errors in the timing, bug reports or other comments you may have.
mVPM makes mineralogy to be easier to examine a thin section and to understand the characteristic properties for each mineral without a petrographic microscope, which is known to be very expensive. It is mainly addressed to students as a guide in individual or supervised laboratory work.
✔ A clean and fast application;
✔ Supports phones and tablets;
✔ Browse rocks which contain a classification for volcanic and plutonic rocks
✔ QAPF diagrams (volcanic and plutonic rocks)
✔ Glossary with terms used in optical mineralogy
✔ Search or browse for minerals by name or by their properties in thin sections;
✔ IdentifyMin is an algorithm for a fast and accurate identification of minerals in thin sections.
Note: I constantly update this application with new features and photos.
This is freeware - enjoy.
Please email me should you find errors or typos.
iGeology is for anyone who wants to explore the local geology, at street-level scale, virtually anywhere in the UK. Amateur geologists, walkers, gardeners and anyone else with an interest in rocks and landscape.
Find out about the rocks at the surface (superficial deposits) or the bedrock beneath.
Discover boreholes drilled in your area and look at their log records.
Use GPS to zoom to your location.
Search on place names or postcodes.
Show a 3D view of the geological landscape.
The maps use the British Geological Survey’s national scale (1:625 000) and ‘Landranger’ scale (1:50 000) geological datasets of the United Kingdom (UK).
5% of 1:50000 scale data is unavailable for England, Scotland and Wales.
Only 1:625 000 scale data is available for Northern Ireland.
Discover the most interesting geological areas of Catalonia.
Geotops and geozones inventory with augmented reality.
Author: José A. Gil
Data source: Inventari d'espais d'interès geològic (Dep. Medi Ambient. Generalitat de Catalunya).
Look at the landscape with your phone's camera and see the geological map painted onto the ground - geology in augmented reality.
Turn your phone in any direction to look around.
Walk around the landscape and the view will move with you.
Tap the screen on any point in the landscape to learn about the rocks you can see.
Use iGeology 3D with the iGeology geological map for a 3D view of other places.
The maps use the British Geological Survey’s 1:50,000 scale geological maps of the United Kingdom (UK).
iGeology 3D is intended for non-commercial use e.g. private study, research and educational activities. For commercial use of BGS data email: email@example.com
Each topic is around 600 words and is complete with diagrams, equations and other forms of graphical representations along with simple text explaining the concept in detail.
This USP of this application is "ultra-portability". Students can access the content on-the-go from anywhere they like.
Basically, each topic is like a detailed flash card and will make the lives of students simpler and easier.
Some of topics Covered in this application are:
1. GEOLOGICAL SCIENCE
2. DEVELOPMENT OF ENGINEERING GEOLOGY
3. ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
4. Geological Materials
5. Description of Geological materials
6. Porosity and Permeability
8. ROLE OF ENGINEERING GEOLOGY IN ENGINEERING
9. IMPORTANCE OF PRELIMINARY GEOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS
10. BRANCHES OF GEOLOGY
11. INTRODUCTION TO SOILS
12. INTRODUCTION TO ROCKS
13. GEOLOGICAL MASSES
14. Standard Weathering Description Systems
15. Ground Mass Description
16. Rock Mass Classification
17. SCHISTS AND GNEISSES
18. GEOLOGICAL MAPS
19. Understanding Geological Maps
20. Interpretation of Geological Maps
21. DRILLING TOOLS
22. MAPPING AT SMALL SCALE
23. MAPPING AT LARGE SCALE
24. Engineering Geological Maps
25. GIS in Engineering Geology
26. PURPOSE AND PRINCIPAL OF SITE INVESTIGATION
27. DRILLING PROCESS
28. DRILLING AND SAMPLING IN SOIL
29. Boring and Sampling over Water
30. Field Tests and Measurements
31. Strength and Deformation Tests
32. Measurements in Boreholes and Excavations
33. Engineering Geophysics
34. Properties of Minerals
35. ROCK-FORMING MINERALS
36. FELDSPAR - FAMILY
37. Quartz family
38. The Mineral AUGITE
39. Rhyolite Family
40. Fundamentals of process of formation of ore minerals
41. COAL AND PETROLEUM
42. Coal- Its origin and occurrence in India
44. GARNET AND MISCELLANEOUS ROCKS
45. Classification of Rocks
46. Difference Between Igneous, Sedimentary and Metamorphic Rocks
50. Igneous rock types
52. Metamorphic Rocks
55. Larvikite,ijolite and Carbonatite
56. Phonolite, Ultramafic Rocks and Pyroxenite
57. Conglomerate and breccia
58. METAMORPHIC ROCKS
60. Beds in 3D space
61. Strike and Dip
62. Inclined Bedding on Maps
66. Seismic Surveys
67. Electrical Resistivity Surveys
68. Electromagnetic Conductivity Surveys
69. Magnetic Surveys
70. REMOTE SENSING TECHNIQUES
71. Aerial Photographs
72. Satellite Images
73. Design and Construction of Road Tunnels
74. Factors that Influence Tunnel Seismic Performance
75. PREVENTIONS OF DAM CONSTUCTION
76. Sea erosion and coastal Protection
77. Internal Structure of the Earth
78. Building stones occurrences and characteristics
79. Origin of Sedimentary Rock
81. causes of Earthquakes
82. Classification of Earthquake
83. Classification of Seismic Waves
84. Fault Types
85. Seismic Zones of India
86. Construction of Earthquake Resistant Buildings and Infrastructure
Add information to mySoil by uploading your own soil description, pH, texture and photos.
mySoil is for anyone with an interest in the soil; including gardeners, farmers, students, environmentalists and land-use planners.
mySoil is a free app from the BGS and the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology.
It is an interactive key to identify common minerals.
Simply select a characteristic of a mineral and
enter the matching character values, such as
color and luster. The app will present you
with possible identifications including the
details and images of minerals matching the
List of characters
List of minerals
Touch to select or enter value
Displayed selected character values along with minerals
Auto-saved character status
Your feedback is highly appreciated.
50% Promotional Sales! Limited Time Only!
Glossary of Geology is an application containing over 28,000 geology & earth science related glossary terms. It is by far the most complete and comprehensive geology glossary list available in the market. It is an excellent educational and reference application with over 2,000 terms for geologist as well as those who are studying earth science.
The application is optimized for Android 1.6+ devices.
This application has the following features:
- User friendly interface to preview all terms in one view
- Ability to bookmark selected terms for easier reference
- Cross-referencing links to other terms
- A term search engine
- Offline browsing
138App.com is one of the leaders in developing Android applications. Check out our other Apps on Android market by searching for "138app.com" on the search box