Air Waves is a "one to many" local radio broadcasting service which could be used for many things such as live translations for an audience, a baby monitor or a 2-way intercom/walkie-talkie.
Prior to creating this app, we had looked into alternatives. The translation system we were almost about to pay for cost nearly $8,000. That included only a transmitting station, microphones and 4 headset devices.
With Air Waves, we paid (in $AUD):
- wireless N150 router ($60)
- $120 for x2 cheap Android phones to test our setup with
- $20 for x2 in-ear Sony headphones
- $0 to bring your own additional listening device
So for $200 we've provided the same service which an $8,000 system would have, except Air Waves is easier to set up and far cheaper if we need more headsets.
*** How to use it ***
It doesn't get much simpler than this!
Click on the microphone to immediately start broadcasting.
Simply click on the headphone icon and choose the channel/language you want.
Note: all devices need to be on the same WiFi network.
*** Advanced usage ***
- Press menu to set your device name
- Press menu to enable/disable audio playback via headset (for speaker)
*** Hardware required ***
- At least 2 phones with Android 2.1+ installed.
- A router with wireless capabilities (preferably at least N standard)
- (optional) Some headphones and/or microphone for better audio quality
*** NOTES ***
I've been testing this at Ecclesia Mission Hills church (translation service) every Sunday for a few months and it's at the stage where I'm ready to release it into the wild to check for devices compatibility.
I've only tested on a handful of phones, simply because I can't afford to buy every phone in the market.
Below are the phones which are known to work with AirWaves:
- HTC Droid Incredible 2
- HTC One X
- Nexus 4
- Samsung i9000, S2, S III, Note II, S III Mini, S4 (SCH-I545 Verizon)
- Sony xperia X10 mini
- Xiaomi Mi 2S
- ZTE T12/Telstra Uno
Some additional advice:
- Note that both the broadcaster and audience must be on the SAME wireless network.
- There is notably less audio latency on Android +4.1 devices as Google has fixed up some audio processing issues.
- If you use a hands free microphone, the microphone you use will affect recording quality. Garbage in = garbage out
- Each broadcasting device has different methods of noise cancellation. Pick the one which works best for you.
- Each listener will use approximately 20Kbps, so please ensure your broadcasting device can handle the given number of listeners. See below for a detailed breakdown.
*** Wireless network speed ***
Theoretical vs actual and the number of supported listeners.
* Wireless G 54Mbps (actual 20Mbps) = 2,700 listeners
* Wireless N 150Mbps (actual 40Mbps) =
* Wireless N 300Mbps (actual 50Mbps) =
* Wireless AC 1300Mbps (actual 85Mbps) =
Formula: number of listeners = (actual Mbps * 1024) / 20Kbps
*** Currently working on ***
- random halts in receiving broadcast
- automatically reconnect to server
- use non-blocking IO
*** DISCLAIMER! ***
If you have any problems, EMAIL ME.
I'm still in the process of testing so please feel free to try it out and email me your feedback. I don't use reviews/comments as a form of "bug reports".
Air Waves is currently in testing. Please do NOT rely on Air Waves for something important.
*** Releases ***
- bumped required Android level to 2.2 (name change dialog breaks on 2.1, only used for internal testing)
- fixed crash on exit
- Initial release (testing for device compatibility)
More from developer
WikiMapia is an open-content collaborative mapping project, aimed at marking all geographical objects in the world and providing a useful description of them. Inspired by the success of Google Maps and Wikipedia it combines an interactive web map with a wiki system. Both registered users and guests have already marked over 19,000,000 objects and this number grows every day!
This app is not really necessary because the Sphero goes to sleep by itself after a few minutes,
If you still like the Sphero to sleep quickly then this app is handy.
IMPORTANT: YOU NEED A SPHERO ROBOTIC BALL TO USE THIS APP. https://www.gosphero.com
This app is actually a kind of Activity Starter component. You can make your own activity with all the fields you have in the Activity Starter component in App Inventor and execute the activity. If you want to learn more about the activity starter component in app inventor or are you looking for example activities, then this app is for you!
In this app you will find example intent activities such as:
-Action and classes to all android settings.
-open, edit and view content such as image, audio, video or a file.
-Search for content on web or phone.
-Call, Dial, Email, SMS, MMS. Pick, Call or edit contact
-Geo-location activities for Google Maps, Street view or other route app.
-Photo and video activities
-Google play and install and uninstall apps activities
-Save text to sdcart, copy text to clipboard. Share text with Whatsapp, Hangouts, Drive, Dropbox, Mega.
-External App inventor tools activity demos for AsUtil, Phone Picker for App Inventor, vkTools
* More about App Inventor maintained by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
* Note that this app has a lot of permissions because it has to be able to do any activity that you can make in app inventor.
* You can also download the source code of this app, see http://code.google.com/p/appinvactivitystarter
I developped this app because my Android phone always fails to download from my ReadyNAS Duo v1 in the default browser. If you ever have had the same problem then this app is your solution!
• With support for up to 5 http shares.
• Protect app with a password.
• Explore your files and folders in a quick list view.
• See file properties such as file name, content-type, size and modification date.
• Download your files to a specified folder on your internal sd storage.
• Open file after downloading, If file type is not recognized, you can try to open the file as text, image, video or audio.
• Share button to quickly share a url to the file.
• App startup option, open app in last opened share.
• More options visible when one of the following file managers is installed: AndExplorer, ES File Explorer, OI File Manager or Blackmoon File Browser
• No advertising or other junk and no information is sent back!
This app is not made by NETGEAR. This app was created by Michael Letsch.
This app has been tested only on the ReadyNAS Duo v1 and is still in beta version, if you have comments or suggestions for this app please leave a comment.
You have 2 ways to control your camera in this app. The first PTZ control method is without camera image and the second PTZ control method with a snapshot image. The snapshot refresh time can be adjusted in milliseconds.
You can also play the stream from the camera in different resolutions 176*144, 320*240 and 640*480. View a snapshot in the browser and open VisionCam (external app) in resolutions 176*144, 320*240 and 640*480. Look at the camera's log, status, configuration and reboot the camera.
Heden PTZ Controller supports the following models of heden cameras
heden ip camera's V 2.2
heden ip camera's V 3.3
heden ip camera's V 5.5
heden ip camera's V 6.1
This app is not made by Heden and they are not involved in the development of this app.
Also this app is fun and interesting if you are intrested in OrbBasic programming language. All OrbBasic programs can be exported to the sdcard so you can adjust them.
YOU NEED A SPHERO ROBOTIC BALL TO USE THIS APP.
* Automatically connect to the first Sphero that can be found.
* when bluetooth is off request to turn on.
* Touch a button and Sphero moves autonomously.
* Closing the app or turn off the phone does not stop the program on Sphero.
* Works with OrbBasic programs to control the Sphero.
* All "Go roll" programs have a 5 minute timeout against excessive use.
* Bird sounds button for cats.
* Rainbow colors button.
* Jump button.
* Sleep Sphero button.
* Tips and tricks for your pet
* Export OrbBasic programs from CrazyCats to the sdcard!
* Tap to enlarge status log at the bottom of screen.
Made for Sphero version 2. This means that if you use this app with version 1 the ball will not go that fast,but will work.
the UPnP protocol with the tool from Rapid7.
The protocol UPnP lets computers, printers, and other devices make themselves easily discoverable to a network router. But new research by the security firm Rapid7 shows that it could also let hackers easily discover and exploit those routers, too. And the problem is “universal,” indeed: A wide-ranging scan of the Internet show that it affects as many as 50 million unique devices.
With this app you can test your router and determine whether it is vulnerable to attack.
This app is useful if you have a page or image that you want to automatically refresh. Useful for viewing log files or a webcam picture and even with the development of a mobile site.
This app can be useful if you want to create a url to your webcam or computer. The shorturl to your IP address looks like http://is.gd/uX10Ui
Super handig, super snel en zonder troep, sneller dan de buienrader app!
You can use this app to create lists of, for example, urls, images, videos, tags, code, youtube urls and so on.
*List of demo tags so that you can see what you can do with this tool
*Create list type: numbered, line spacing or comma separated list
*Include start text in list item.
*Include end text in list item.
*See code of the page to quickly determine the start and end text.
*Share the list via, email, Google Drive, SMS or WhatsApp
If you're not looking for a way to create a list of something on the web then this app is not worth downloading.