NATIONAL RELAY SERVICE APP
The National Relay Service (NRS) is for any Australian who is deaf, hearing impaired or speech impaired who wants to make phone calls.
The app provides easier ways to make calls through the NRS in Australia.
This app gives you access to the following call options:
• internet relay – if you want to type and read your conversation
• Speak and Listen – if you are hard to understand on the phone
• video relay – if you use Auslan
• captioned relay – if you can speak but can’t hear clearly.
The app is a world-first in combining a range of relay calls and support functions in a single app.
For both internet relay and Speak and Listen the app provides additional benefits or features that are only available through the app. These include:
• the ability to use customised phrases and call set-ups that you can pre-store on your phone or tablet
• the ability to ‘click through’ from contacts stored on the device
• better notification for incoming internet relay calls
• the option of inserting text for users making Speak and Listen calls
• the ability to utilise the device’s GPS in providing location information.
The app and any calls you make using the app are free. However, you will be connecting to the internet and will be using broadband data. How you are charged for this data will depend on the plan you have with your service provider.
See http://www.relayservice.gov.au to find out more about the NRS or the NRS app.