This is the official Android application presenting information on bushfires for the participating fire agencies in the Australian states and territories and in New Zealand, developed by the NSW Rural Fire Service.
This application provides information on current incidents across Australia and New Zealand attended by those participating agencies. It also provides information on total fire bans.
The application gives users the ability to source information on incidents near them, using the 'Fires near Me' function.
The 'Fires near Me' application is in trial, and as such its features may vary. Support for the application is not provided due to its inherent simplicity. More information may be found http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au or the web site for the fire agency in your local state or territory or in New Zealand.
Your feedback, however, is gratefully sought, and will help us develop an even more useful way of giving you information on fires near you. Please send any feedback here: email@example.com .
For further information, please see http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au .
Initially centres the map on your Current Position.
Allows you to choose another location, e.g. the destination for your weekend holiday, and centres on that location.
Lets you know if there is a fire within 50 km of your location.
Displays any fires within a 10 km radius of your location.
Allows you to see a list of the bush fires from participating agencies, sorted by their proximity to your location--the closest being sorted to the top of the list.
Tap on the fire and you will see some information about the fire. Tap on the arrow (">") and you will see the list of bush fires.
Top on the arrow (">") of a fire within the list of bush fires, you will see a screen of more details on that particular fire.
Tap the map button from the Details page and the map page appears centred on that fire.
If a Total Fire Ban is active for today or tomorrow for your location – and that information has been provided by the fire agency in your local state or territory or in New Zealand – the Total Fire Ban symbol appears on the screen to warn you of this.
Fires are listed by the name of the nearest town or village, if available. This makes it easier for you to recognise where it is, so that you can avoid it!
PREPARE. ACT. SURVIVE. Have a Bush Fire Survival Plan and keep up to date on fires in your area.
© State of New South Wales through the NSW Rural Fire Service 2011
While some of the information contained is in summary form and uses “rules of thumb,” it is sufficient to assist in making operational decisions or to use as a quick reference in operational planning, and training.
Included are online calculators for forest and grass fire predictions, and a converter to show your current position as latitude/longitude, map grid reference, and street directory reference. The app and its calculators can be used whether or not there is mobile network coverage.
The app’s content is based on the most recent (2010) hard copy of the NSW RFS Pocketbook. Content can be updated at any time over the air, and will be amended as needed.
Prepare yourself and your home for a bush fire in NSW by completing your Bush Fire Survival Plan now. Your Plan can help stop you from making rushed and dangerous decisions at the last moment and provides information on how to better prepare for bush fire.
This application will guide you through the steps necessary to prepare your Bush Fire Survival Plan.
The NSW Rural Fire Service encourages you to complete your plan with your family, so everyone knows what they will do if a fire starts.
Sometimes, no matter how well prepared you are, things don’t go to plan. That’s why, whether you plan to Leave Early or Stay and Defend, you need a back-up plan.
Planning to make a plan is not a plan.
Within the application you can:
• Create a profile
• Understand the fire risk in your area of NSW
• Prepare your family with emergency contact numbers and an Emergency Survival Kit
• Save emergency contact numbers to your phone
• Prepare your property by completing a check list of tasks relevant to your home
• Create your personalised Leave Early Plan by deciding where you’ll go, what you’ll take and what your triggers will be to leave
• Create your Stay and Defend Plan by deciding what tasks you will complete when a fire is approaching your home and during a fire.
• Decide on back up routes, place of last resort and what you’ll do if it’s too late to leave in your Back Up Plan
• Get live Fire Danger Ratings for your area
Information Feeds Includes:
* Ambulance NSW
* Fire and Rescue
* Marine Rescue
* NSW HEalth
* St John
* NSW SES
* Surf Lifesaving
* Live Traffic
Please note that all these links are freely available on the internet. I have simply brought them all together in a single easy to read app.
• Vehicle registration renewal – enter the billing number on your NSW Certificate of Registration to securely renew your vehicle’s registration.
• Free registration check – enter the plate number of any NSW registered vehicle to view registration status.
• Registration renewal reminder – set a reminder for when your next NSW vehicle registration renewal is due.
• Locations – Find your nearest Service Centre, Roads and Maritime Registry, eSafety Check (vehicle safety inspection) locations and more.