Note: This app is a proper Cantonese dictionary. Most of the other 'cantonese' apps on the Play Store are Mandarin dictionaries with Cantonese pronunciation, which is probably not what you want.
If you are looking for our Mandarin app, please see: http://goo.gl/Wne1EM
If you're not satisfied, for any reason, within 30 days you get a full refund, period, no questions asked. We don't want your money if you're not amazingly happy.
★ Uses best-in-class CantoDict dictionary data as the base dictionary
★ Chinese handwriting recognition built in
★ Audio - recordings of every Cantonese syllable, by a real native speaker
★ Search Hanzi / Chinese, Jyutping, Yale or English
★ Both Simplified and Traditional Chinese characters supported
★ Jyutping or Yale pronunciation throughout
★ Coloring by tone - you can color Hanzi, Jyutping or Yale
★ Homescreen Widgets* - flip through your favorite words from your homescreen. Try adding multiple widgets!
★ Offline access to all features (unless specified)
★ Backup / Restore starred words, search history, preferences etc
★ Simple, intuitive and powerful UI
★ Live search - results update as-you-type
★ Progressive results - as you scroll down, progressively deeper searches are seamlessly performed
★ Enter long Chinese text in the search box and get instant romanization as well as automatic vocab list
★ Starred Chinese words/phrases, Word lists, Search history
★ Custom search using wildcards
★ Clipboard Monitoring - raise notification when Hanzi copied to clipboard. Please read: http://goo.gl/cmRFJ2
★ Night mode (black background)
★ Voice recognition (online only and only on supported devices)
★ Useful links to websites e.g. Youdao, HanziCraft, Skritter, Google Translate (online only)
★ Seamless integration with our Hanping Chinese Camera app (for image-based character recognition): http://goo.gl/1clC8H
★ No ads!
* In Android 5.0 & 5.1, if you are having problems adding the Homescreen Widget, please try restarting your device: http://hanpingchinese.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21699
* For Chinese character input via Jyutping or Yale, use Google Cantonese Input app: http://goo.gl/hHnfjm
* "run on startup* permission required for Clipboard Monitoring "System Startup" option.
* If many Chinese characters appear as empty square boxes, or if you would like to use a nicer Chinese font, read this: http://goo.gl/y6ya5r
The custom font used in the screenshots is UKai which can be downloaded here: http://goo.gl/wV3o4T
Please use the forum (see below) to report any bugs or suggestions or e-mail us if it is urgent.
It is a useful and nice website, however we may encounter some difficulties on using this web application on our mobile devices.
So I wrote this little application, which is just provide a simple interface to access this web application.
You can also hear the cantonese pronunciation with this application.
ChiDin is a Chinese dictionary that has a focus on the Cantonese language. Most chinese translate to and from Mandarin Chinese and show results in pinyin. ChiDin is focussed on the Cantonese language. It displays results for the Cantonese language and includes pronunciations in jyutping.
Pinyin is also provided so you can use ChiDin as a Mandarin Chinese dictionary as well as a Cantonese dictionary.
This release of ChiDin is the first release of ChiDin for Android. This version licenses Adam Sheik's excellent CantoDict online dictionary for results that show not only regular chinese terms but also Cantonese colloquialisms and Hong Kong and Macau place names. For more information about CantoDict check the help pages on the app.
ChiDin uses the Internet permission only to access the CantoDict website and the Network State permission is required by AdMob to display ads.
This dictionary contains over 200,000 phrases and words!
This dictionary features Mandarin, Cantonese and English translation as well as pronunciation in Pinyin and Yale romanization of Cantonese! Additionally, each pronunciation has the tones to help you learn Chinese. It also has traditional and simplified characters! You can take my dictionary to mainland China and look up words in simplified Chinese!
My dictionary does not need to go online to the internet to search for words. This is the full dictionary that you can take it away with you when you don't have internet connection.
This dictionary is perfect for those traveling as well when you don't have an active internet connection and you want to talk to someone in Chinese.
This dictionary is also perfect for those who want to simply learn Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin).
I created this dictionary because I am a Cantonese speaker who wanted to learn Mandarin. I never found any dictionary on the app market helpful so I created my own dictionary.
Enter your chinese character, english, pinyin or yale romanization in cantonese on the search bar and watch the result list come back with all the matching words!
It is that easy!
Some of our reviewers praising this app:
"I tested this app and it's complete and easy to use, I like it. I have several years learning cantonese and I was waiting an app like this. I recommend it."
"This is a wonderful little dictionary for Android! I really like it"
I want to thank the Cantonese CEDICT Project for allowing this project to happen!
- the e-book version of Bamboo Shed Cantonese Opera and School Education
- the 360 degree photos of bamboo-shed theatres
- the highlight videos of traditional set pieces
- the interview videos of a scaffolding master
- the map showing the major bamboo-shed theatres in Hong Kong
- Look up using Chinese, Jyutping or English
- Save words to your own personal wordlist
- Export your wordlist using email.
This dictionary focus on Cantonese as it is spoken in Hong Kong but covers more written form as well. The dictionary covers more than 65000 terms. Improve your vocabulary today, use Cantonese Dictionary.
The application provides all of the website information in an easy smartphone format.
Completely analyzes the most common 6500 Chinese characters
(Simplified and Traditional)
utilizes database of 100,000 ancient Chinese glyphs
Seal characters and text from the Shuowen
Seal characters from the LST
Dialect pronunciations with speach sounds
Mandarin, Taiwanese, Cantonese
English meanings and computer encodings
Simplification mechanism and phonetic and signific analysis
All features of Cool Reader retain same.
The following intro of features is copied from Cool Reader's intro:
eBook reader. Supports epub (non-DRM), fb2, doc, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, mobi (non-DRM), pml formats.
Pages or scroll view. Page flipping animation.
Table of contents, bookmarks, text search.
Bookmarks on text fragments (comments or corrections) - useful for proof reading.
Export of bookmarks to text file.
Built-in file browser, quick recent books access.
Online catalogs (OPDS) support.
LitRes online book store support.
Text to Speech (TTS) support.
Most complete FB2 format support: styles, tables, footnotes.
Additional fonts support (place .ttf to /sdcard/fonts/)
Support for Chinese, Japanese, Korean languages; autodetection of TXT file encoding (GBK, Shift_JIS, BIG5, EUC_KR).
Day and night profiles (two sets of colors, background, backlight levels).
Brightness adjustments by flick on left edge of screen.
Background texture (stretched or tiled) or solid color.
Paperbook-like page turning animation or "sliding page" animation.
Dictionary support (ColorDict, GoldenDict, Fora Dictionary, Aard Dictionary).
Customizable tap zone and key actions.
Autoscroll (automatic page flipping) - start using menu/goto/autoscroll or assign action Autoscroll on key or tap zone; Change speed using volume keys or bottom-right and bottom-left tap zones; stop - tap any other tap zone or key.
Can read books from zip archives.
Automatic reformatting of .txt files (autodetect headings etc.)
Styles can be customised in wide range using external CSS.
Select text using double tap (optional).
Similar to FBReader, Aldiko, AlReader, Nook, Laputa, Moon+ reader.
Place additional textures to /sdcard/.cr3/textures/ -- to be used as tiled page backgrounds.
Place additional textures to /sdcard/.cr3/backgrounds/ -- to be used as stretched page backgrounds.
(/cr3/ directory can also be used instead of /.cr3/, and internal SD or internal storage instead of /sdcard/)
CoolReader requires following permissions:
WAKE_LOCK - to control screen backlight
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - to access SD card
INTERNET - to use online catalogs
Note: Mimi Reader maintains original link to buy Cool Reader's donation packages.
CoolReader is free, open source (GPL), multiplatform project.
Project homepage on SourceForge is http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/
To donate this project, you can buy Cool Reader Gold ($10), Silver ($3) or Bronze ($1) Donation package from Market
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated Chinese English dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live camera-based character lookups, from a company with 15 years' experience making mobile Chinese learning software.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Great dictionaries: the free app comes with two dictionaries - CC-CEDICT and our in-house "PLC" dictionary - that between them cover 130,000 Chinese words and include 20,000 example sentences with Pinyin; 18 other wonderful dictionaries are available as paid upgrades. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting input: use the entire width of your device's screen to draw characters. Very accurate, with an engine licensed from China's leading maker of handwriting input systems. (basic version free, enhanced version $)
• Live Optical Character Recognizer: look up Chinese words in the dictionary simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by scrolling around a still image. ($)
• Flashcard System: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced techniques like SRS (spaced repetition), and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks and tone drills. (simple version free, full-featured $)
• Audio Pronunciation: instantly hear a native-speaker Mandarin audio recording of each Chinese dictionary headword; recordings are available for over 34,000 words. (single-syllable free, multi $)
• Powerful search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces and tones optional), or a combination, with support for wildcards and full-text search.
• Cross-referencing: tap on any Chinese character / word in any dictionary entry to bring up its definition.
• Voice Recognition: look up words by speaking them into your device's microphone. (free)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each Chinese character; over 20,000 characters are covered. ($)
• Document Reader: open a Chinese-language text file and look up unknown words in the dictionary simply by tapping on them. ($) You can also look up characters on web pages through "Share" and in other documents through the clipboard. (free)
• Mainland- and Taiwan-friendly: supports traditional and simplified characters (in dictionary definitions, stroke order, search, OCR, and handwriting), and supports Zhuyin as well as Pinyin for pronunciation display.
• Cantonese: display headwords + perform searches in Jyutping/Yale romanization. (free) We also offer Cantonese dictionary and Cantonese audio add-ons. ($)
• Tablet-friendly: includes a 2-panel (results + definition together) interface that's perfect for tablets.
• No ads: we won't even nag you about buying add-ons.
We also offer excellent customer support - send us an email and see for yourself - and an active user community at plecoforums.com.
We've been making Chinese dictionary apps since 2000, and our sales and customer base have been steadily growing for 15 years across four different platforms. We take good care of our longtime users, too - people who bought the Oxford dictionary from us on a Palm Pilot in 2001 can still use that dictionary on their brand new Android phone in 2015 without even having to pay an upgrade fee. You can be confident we'll be fixing bugs and adding features for many years to come.
Paid add-ons can be transferred to another device like any other paid app; load the free version of Pleco on your new device, go into "Add-ons" and tap "Restore Purchases."
If you already own Pleco on another OS, see pleco.com/android for upgrade / license transfer options.
You can now enjoy the following features with this version:
Book search: Find your favorite titles easily on your book shelf. Just type in the title to locate your eBook on our handy search box and begin reading.
Add books: Import eBooks in EPUB format from your SD Card. Just one click from the book shelf and browse your SD Card for your eBooks.
Universal Reader: Read your PDF files from your SD Card with Vibe Reader.
Made for readers’ convenience: Readers can customize the book's font size, font style, and font and background color. Zoom in or out feature is also available for a customized view.
Intelligent reader: Create bookmarks, make notes, highlight and draw anywhere in the eBook. Save a list of the bookmarked or noted pages and look at the table of contents for easy reference access.
Interactive reader: Play video and audio files from Vibal Textbooks! You can also record and create audio files while reading your books!
Available only for devices with Android 3.1 up.
Ideal for Cantonese speakers who wishes to learn native Beijing Mandarin.
On the other hand, the App is also useful for Mandarin speakers who wants to know native Hong Kong style Cantonese.
* cc-cedict dictionary with more than 10,000 entries.
* Show the parts of individual Chinese characters.
* Search from English, Chinese or Pinyin.
* Keep a list of marked entries.
* Support simplified and traditional characters.
* Completely free.
This application can be a good tool for Mandarin Chinese students. Learning to decompose the Chinese characters into parts is the best way to learn them efficiently.
- Lookup of words
- Lookup of individual characters
- Pronunciation is given in jyutping.
* Mono-lingual dictionaries for English, German, and Italian.
* Mutli-lingual dictionaries between many language pairs.
* Fast! (See translations as you type!)
* Dictionaries stored on SD card (works offline!)
* Save queried translations to text file on SD card for later reference.
* Support Speech to Text & Text to Speech
* Themes Available (default & light)
* FREE !
Support languages :
* English-Haitian Creole
* Data from en.wiktionary.org.
If Complete Dictionary crashes on your device (especially Sony Ericsson devices),
change preferences to the "System default" font.
Complete Dictionary based on QuickDic and licensed under the Apache License :
QuickDic : http://code.google.com/p/quickdic-dictionary/
Apache License ver. 2.0: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
- Full English definition (CC-CEDICT)
- Mandarin pinyin
- Lists of most frequent and HSK characters
- Search characters by radical, character or pinyin, including a list of characters hard to find
- Traditional variant
- Optional display of frequent compounds (requires network)
- Mark characters as favorite
- Pick up random characters
- Quiz mode
- Optional tone colors
- No advertisement!