The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is one of the pathologies whose incidence grows the most due to the excessive use of the computer, mouse and mobile.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
It is the compression of the median nerve in the wrist region. The median nerve is located near the middle of the palm.
What are the most common symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Region: hand, forearm and can reach the shoulder. It is usually unilateral.
- Numbness in the hand, forearm, wrist. These symptoms worsen at night, and may even wake the patient.
- Some people report that they instinctively move their fists for a few seconds and the pain passes.
- Pain, tingling, numbness or shock are also common symptoms. The hand and forearm also "fall asleep."
- Tingling in the fingers: thumb, index and medium.
- These symptoms get worse when you are using your hand.
- Morning stiffness: Your fingers become harder to move in the morning
MODERATE AND SERIOUS SYMPTOMS
Region: hand, forearm and can reach the shoulder and neck. It can be bilateral.
- All previous symptoms with more intensity
- Difficulties in activities of simple daily life like ironing Shampoo, combing hair, buttoning bra, eating, holding a glass.
-Episodes of loss of strength. Objects fall out of your hand.
- Difficulty or impossibility of making the tweezers movement (touching the pulp of the thumb with the pulp of the index finger)
- Muscular atrophy: the patient avoids any activity with his hands, atrophying his musculature. After a few years there is atrophy of the musculature.
Pain in the neck and shoulder.
- The pains increase at night that discomfort can wake the patient or prevent him from sleeping.
How is the treatment?
This treatment is based exclusively on exercises and stretching. Elastic band and weight are used. The most common is 1kg, 2kg or 4kg.
Why does this treatment work?
Our carpal tunnel consists of 8 small bones, many tendons and the median nerve between other structures. These 8 bones give the whole movement to our hand. Our hand is capable of many precise movements!
But normally the wrist does not move in all the movements and this generates a static tunnel, in that case the term tunnel is inadequate, because it is imagined that it is a stopped thing, but in our body the carpal tunnel is a mobile tunnel and , one of the factors that cause carpal tunnel syndrome is to stop it.
What is the worst situation I can experience with online treatment?
The worst situation is you do not improve. If you do not feel any improvement within the first 7 days, you should discontinue treatment and seek medical advice.
Author: Thiago Nishida is a physiotherapist in Brazil and develops this method so that people without access to the health system have an alternative in an efficient way and using technology.
Always seek your doctor.