The FractionRepMatch game involves matching cards that show different part-whole representations of fractions. Select a range of values. Depending on the range selected, numbers may be proper fractions, improper fractions or mixed numbers. Select two or more types of representations: numbers, arrays, fraction strips or number lines. Match cards representing the same number. The game can be played face-up or face-down as a memory game.
Visual representations support students in developing and applying their understanding of fractions. The FractionRepMatch game can be used to:
- Understand a fraction as a number
- Develop fraction number sense e.g., ⅘ is really close to 1 whole
- Develop an understanding of the denominator (the fractional unit) as the number of
- equal-sized parts in a whole and the numerator (the count) as the number of fractional parts being considered
- Understand the structure and make connections between various fraction
- representations including number lines