* Added the option to sail around the courses on a cruising monohull or a beach catamaran!
* Dolphins! It wouldn't be sailing without these magical creatures keeping you company on your adventures!
* New awards section that will challenge you to learn more and sail faster!
* New fly-by at beginning of sailing courses to give you an overview of the location!
* New navigation arrows to help you find the way to the next mark on a sailing course!
* Totally redesigned menu system making it quicker and easier to learn or go sailing!
* Lots of other improvements to make the app more enjoyable!
ASA’s Sailing Challenge includes six fun, easy-to-use learning modules that unlock the mysteries of sailing - Learn Points of Sail, Apparent Wind, Sail Trim, Tacking and Jibing, Rules of the Road and Docking.
Then, put it all together when you sail around a course against the clock in a variety of different locations including the classic Harbor Tour course, a British Virgin Islands course, a Night Sailing Course that tests your navigation skills, a Tacking Master course that tests your tacking abilities, and more! We offer you the choice of three different boats - the day sailor, the cruising monohull and a beach catamaran. You can also choose between steering with a tiller or with a wheel! All the boats feature a mainsail and a jib, realistic wakes, and their behavior is based on real world polar data. In addition, we've made it easy to look around while you're sailing along - great for monitoring lay lines as well as checking out the scenery! As your sailing skills improve you’ll be able to earn awards for completing challenges in all the learning modules and sailing courses - can you earn the award for completing the Advanced level of the Points of Sail module without making any mistakes?
This sailing app combines the most innovative thinking in the digital education field with the American Sailing Association's experience in teaching sailing to create a game that lets players climb aboard, take control of the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other, and sail off on a virtual sea of fun. When the ASA says the fun starts here, we really mean it!
For help creating the Sailing Challenge app, ASA turned to longtime sailing enthusiast, visionary and founder of Atari, Nolan Bushnell. Bushnell’s new educational software development company, Brainrush, worked with ASA to develop this breakthrough educational video sailing game, using a teaching technique Bushnell refers to as “gamification”. He says, “ASA’s Sailing Challenge combines video gaming technology and educational software, incorporating real brain science in a way that will fundamentally change how people learn how to sail.”