This evidence-based mobile learning app focuses on the basic science and principles of neonatal positioning in the NICU. neoPAL BASIC is the perfect adjunct to NICU orientation, annual competency based education, as well as an excellent vehicle for your next quality improvement initiative related to improving postural alignment and positioning practices for critically ill hospitalized infants!
The app has proven effective in improving infant position assessment (IPAT*) scores of critically ill infants in a tertiary care NICU [p = 0.004].
92.3% of users felt the app positively impacted their neonatal positioning practice.
1. Presents an overview of postural basics for head and neck alignment, upper and lower extremity positioning, as well as spine and pelvis orientation - all well referenced to support evidence-based best practices in postural alignment and orientation for hospitalized infants
2. Provides engaging interactivities to give you immediate feedback on a job well done
3. Validates postural recommendations with up-to-date evidence-based citations
4. Tests your knowledge with an in-app quiz and earn 'caring coins'
5. The 'caring coins' unlock additional learning resources on YouTube and the Quality Caring Institute Moodle site
6. Offers access to an extensive bibliography - each reference is hyperlinked to the abstract OR if the reference is open source, the link will take you directly to the paper.
(*Infant Position Assessment Tool © Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.)