Midi Melody for Android is similar in function and appearance to Synthesia, a popular computer program which displays falling notes corresponding to keys played on a piano. Not only does this allow for a pleasant visualization of MIDI files, but also serves as an effective learning tool for those who are incapable of sight reading.
Because tapping the screen of a phone or tablet doesn't offer the learning experience of playing on a real piano, Midi Melody allows you to connect your own digital piano via USB - Play along on your own piano with the falling notes at your own pace! Otherwise, Midi Melody can also play a MIDI file back for you, so you can see which keys to press and when - No need for sheet music!
Enjoy practicing and learning new music in a fun way with your smartphone or tablet, and impress your friends with your newfound ability to play piano!
<> Clean, polished interface.
<> Automatically displays MIDI files in your Download and Music directories.
<> Browse local and external SD card to locate and open MIDI files.
<> Play from a MIDI capable digital piano or Synthesizer via USB (Requires USB OTG capable device)
<> Lengthen or shrink falling note sizes
<> Show notes on the virtual piano keys.
<> Change color of falling notes; left and right hands can be different colors if the MIDI file contains separate tracks.
<> Choose between 128 different instruments.
Please email me if you want to report a bug or problem, have any feature suggestions, or if you are unable to connect your digital piano or synthesizer.
Tags: midi files - usb - keyboard - piano - synthesia android - midi controller
My own clever workaround to Android's High Audio Latency (+100ms) truly makes this one-of-a-kind, you won't find another App like it.
Keep in mind this is not a Piano Hero or Rock Band game. Basically, it teaches you to play piano by simply showing WHICH keys to press and WHEN, at your own pace and to your liking, much like any old PC software that does this akin to Linthesia ™ and Synthesia ™. Neat!
~-~-~ Grab MidiRoll on PC for FREE ~-~-~
~-~-~ Try it before you buy it! ~-~-~
~-~-~ http://goo.gl/jve0tK ~-~-~
[~-~ FEATURES ~-~]
• Virtual Piano with Rolling Notes, Beats and Measures
• Variable Speed Playback from 30% to 100%
• Variable Track/Channel Playback
• Variable Track Colors
• Variable Instrument Per-Track Playback - choose from 128 instruments
• A-B Repeat
• Configurable Piano Roll Options
• Intuitive 'Quick-Seek' buttons for easier learning (you'll love em'!)
• Auto-Scans All MIDI Files in Storage with Configurable Exclusions
• Preloaded with Popular Songs (River Flows in You, Fur Elise, etc.)
• MIDI File Type 0 and 1 Support
• .MID & .MIDI File App Association Support
• !FREE! PC Version - try it before you buy it, download here: http://goo.gl/jve0tK
[~-~ PIANO ROLL OPTIONS ~-~]
• Show Note Letters
• Dim Unplayed Note Range
• Always Show Interface
• Play Metronome
• Mute Playback
• Adjust Quick-Seek Beat Jump Amount
[~-~ TECHNOLOGY ~-~]
• Cunning Workaround to Android's High Audio Latency (this is big)
• MIDI Parser for reading, modifying and writing MIDI files
• LIBGDX for UI & Graphics
I developed this over the course of 8 months for my own personal use as I, like many people, cannot read sheet music, BUT can play Piano. I grew weary of lugging my laptop around to Pianos and Keyboards to learn songs and so, MidiRoll was born!
I am an independent developer in college, your support is greatly appreciated!
** I am not superman, but I will do my best to keep the updates and bug fixes rolling in. I have already added a lot of functionality and bug fixes upon request, so suggesting a feature or issue you're having in the comments, on my website or via Email are easy ways to bring them to my attention! **
[~-~ v3.2 CHANGELOG ~-~]
• All MIDI-specific settings are now persisted and stored as preferences: tracks enabled, instruments, colors and playback speed
• Lowered the minimum playback speed from 30% to **10%**
• Playback speed label color now varies by the speed selected
• Brightened the default MIDI track colors to increase contrast against the piano roll background
• **BUG FIX** Midi specific preference files were being scanned in and listed as a broken MIDI file due to a residual .MIDI extension on the preference file. Fixing this will wipe your previous MIDI bookmarks, but it's fixed for good, very sorry about that :'C
[~-~ v3.1 CHANGELOG ~-~]
• Sped up screen transitions
• Fixed an extremely rare crash during transitions
• Adjusted keyboard dimensions to be more proportional to that of a real piano
• Fixed sharps' lit-up key positions
• Fixed some input confusion wonkiness when panning the keyboard
• Fixed an Android bug with A-B repeat causing a de-sync if metronome was on
[~-~ v3.3 FUTURE PLANS ~-~]
• Key Letters on Falling Notes
• ??? - Suggest one!
[~-~ KNOWN ISSUES ~-~]
IT DOES NOT PLAY SOUND! It's just a roller.
Recommended for larger android tablets. I had to lower the window height to compensate because my tablet considers the menu's as part of window and doesn't let you go over them. So sorry if it isn't "full screen."
Ever wonder how an image sounds? This app allows you to transform your pics into music! It's synesthesia at the tip of your fingers. Not even da Vinci, Magritte, Monet or any of them could even dream of something like this!
Explore your images! After choosing an image, you can easily select up to 7 instruments and the app will help you select what colors each instrument will play. Save it, send it by mail or share it on Facebook!
It's simple and it's fun!
MusePad uses a piano roll style grid for displaying notes, and a piano keyboard for input. You enter the notes using the piano and they appear on the note grid. After that, you can delete notes directly on the grid, or add more notes tapping on the grid.
At any time, you can play your song from any starting position. When playing, current note(s) will be lit both on note grid and piano keyboard, following the notes with a smooth scroll movement. You will love to watch the music play!
- Note grid with diatonic / chromatic modes and key signature
- Input notes with the piano keyboard, or placing them directly on the grid
- Polyphonic piano input (in multitouch devices) with 8 octaves, scrollable in small devices
- Unlimited undo / redo for correcting mistakes
- Playback with highlighting of notes in grid and piano
- Full navigation on the note grid, with pan & zoom
- Save and load songs, or export them as MIDI
- Cut / Copy / Paste / Transpose
This is the Lite version of MusePad. After trying it, you may want to purchase the Full version of MusePad, which lets you load and save your songs, and export them as MIDI; and has no ads.
More features will be added in the future. Stay tuned and enjoy MusePad!
MidiDroide Tablet supports independent multi-touch!
This app is a Listening Instruments research experiment by Alex Braidwood. More information can be found at www.listeninginstruments.com
This version is an early prototype. Many additions and changes are coming soon.
Outcomes of the noise samples collected by all Noise Foragers are forthcoming. In the meantime, you can help me with my thesis research by installing the app (free) and recording noise from your surroundings that you find interesting.
Thank you to all who have and will participate. I am very grateful for your support and I can't wait to share the outcomes with you.
OSC messages are sent as /android/r g b where r g and b are integers.
Tested on HTC G1, HTC G2 and DROID2