An unofficial Android port of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (0.C Experimental).
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is a roguelike set in a post-apocalyptic world. Surviving is difficult: you have been thrown, ill-equipped, into a landscape now riddled with monstrosities of which flesh eating zombies are neither the strangest nor the deadliest.
Yet with care and a little luck, many things are possible. You may try to eke out an existence in the forests silently executing threats and providing sustenance with your longbow. You can ride into town in a jerry-rigged vehicle, all guns blazing, to settle matters in a fug of smoke from your molotovs. You could take a more measured approach and construct an impregnable fortress, surrounded by traps to protect you from the horrors without. The longer you survive, the more skilled and adapted you will get and the better equipped and armed to deal with the threats you are presented with.
In the course of your ordeal there will be opportunities and temptations to improve or change your very nature. There are tales of survivors fitted with extraordinary cybernetics giving great power and stories too of gravely mutated survivors who, warped by their ingestion of exotic substances or radiation, now more closely resemble insects, birds or fish than their original form.
- Tilesets, sound, localization, lua mod support
- Compatible with desktop 0.C save games
- Stores game data in a publicly writeable location for installing mods, soundpacks, save games etc: /sdcard/Android/data/com.MichaelDavies.CataclysmDDA/files/
- Works with a physical keyboard or virtual keyboard & touchscreen
- Minimal touch controls that let you keep your eye on your character rather than your thumbs
- Auto-saves when the app loses focus (lock screen, switch apps etc.)
- Many options to adjust virtual joystick + keyboard appearance + behavior, automatic in-game contextual shortcuts and more.
Q. Can I install custom tilesets/soundpacks/mods and migrate save games to/from the desktop version?
A. Yes. All game data is compatible with the desktop version, and is stored here:
Q. The game runs very poorly. How do I improve performance?
A. Try disabling 'Options > Settings > Graphics > Animations' and reduce 'Terminal Width + Height' to minimum values, and set Software Rendering to "true".
Q. When I run the game, all I see is garbled text. Can I fix it?
A. Sort of. This is a known hardware acceleration bug in SDL that only occurs on some devices, and is being looked into. A temporary workaround is to rename '/sdcard/Android/data/com.MichaelDavies.CataclysmDDA/files/gfx' to 'gfx-temp', launch the game, enable 'Options > Graphics > Software rendering' and set 'Options > Android > Screen orientation' to anything other than 'Sensor', save + quit, and finally rename 'gfx-temp' back to 'gfx'.