Speech Phonology Place by New Mie Go, LLC is a fun and engaging app created by certified speech-language pathologist Dr. Dixon-Thompson based on evidence-based practices and research, for young children to develop and learn spoken sounds and emergent phonological awareness skills. The app provides repeated opportunities to deliver phonological awareness intervention (Wren & Roulstone, 2008). Speech Phonology Place is an app that can be used as it was intended or with an out-of-the-box, open-ended approach.
Speech Phonology place offers 5 familiar settings and over 12 activities that children recognize and feel comfortable in while they learn early phonological awareness skills, and practice given tasks on varying levels with fun graphics and animations.
• The app will provide children with practice opportunities to practice and develop skills needed to complete early literacy tasks and *identify, recognize, and produce* sounds
• Sound, Word, and Print Awareness based upon the alphabetic principle
• Provide an efficient approach to assist SLP’s in targeting phonological awareness skills and identify areas which could be impacting speech production
• Facilitating sound and letter correspondence awareness (activities to develop using awareness of sounds in language and the letter-sound relationships
Phonology is a study of the speech sounds of oral language. Teaching phonological awareness skills refers to ensuring that each individual child is aware of the different sounds, can participate in sound work, and play with individual spoken sounds and sounds within words. The activities are designed upon the alphabetic principle which is the letter-sound link to develop alphabet knowledge skills. The app facilitates meaningful outcomes, thus intervention that increases motivation, attention, and time on tasks (Cheung & Slavin, 2013b, Dixon-Thompson, 2015).
The Speech Phonology Place Features:
1. Alphabet letter identification
2. Alphabet floating letters
3. Memory match and objects
4. Letter finder maze
5. Fun and engaging animations
6. Phonological awareness skills activities
Open-Ended Speech Phonology Place Features:
1. Sound practice
2. Naturalistic Interactions and Engagement
3. Informal Articulation (sound production) Screening
4. Spontaneous Communication