Due to the fact that astronomy is often best when far from civilization where mobile signal may not always be reliable. Therefore, this app is (almost) completely self-contained and does not require any internet connection for most of the information available. The only exceptions to this are the SOHO solar images and NGC/IC, Messier, Caldwell and Binary star images and weather forecast which are loaded dynamically, as well as the refreshing of satellite, comet and near-earth asteroid data.
The observation log, allows you to save observations in the applications, as well as manage a list of astronomical equipment and observing locations. This equipment is also available for use in the Telescope Calculator.
NOTE: The external 7timer weather service is currently down, therefore the weather service is not available currently. Hopefully this is will be resolved soon.
Night mode turns the display red for night observations without having to ruin your night vision.
Most of the data screens have an option to share the data via email, or other similar apps able to accept HTML content.
When using Android 4.0+, the Upcoming Events is able to add events to the device's calendar by using a long click.
The Astronomical Time is also available as a Home screen widget.
Android 2.2+ is now supported, but Android 4.0+ to get the full user experience.
The direction ssensors of the device may need to be calibrated if the map appears to be pointing in the wrong direction. To calibrate the device's sensors wave the device in a figure-8 pattern.
If the direction is still off, then the direction calibration can be adjusted manually by changing the setting in the Settings screen.
The list of tools in the app are as follows:
- Upcoming astronomical events
- What's Up tonight
- Angular Separation calculator
- Astronomical constants and symbols
- Astronomical time
- Astronomy glossary
- Astrophotograhy: Exposure time
- Astrophotograhy: CCD resolution
- Astrophotograhy: Optimal f-ratio
- Astrophotograhy: Max untracked exposure time
- Atmospheric refraction calculator
- Binary stars lookup
- Bright stars list
- Caldwell catalog
- Comet lookup
- Conjunctions and oppositions of the planets
- Coordinate convertor
- Daylight map
- Ephemerides of the Sun, Moon, planets and dwarf planets
- Greek Alphabet reference
- Jupiter's moons
- Magnitude calculator
- Messier catalog
- Meteor Showers
- Moon calendar
- Near-Earth asteroid lookup
- NGC/IC catalog lookup
- Observation log
- Planetary orbit animation
- Precession calculator
- Redshift calculator
- Saturn's Moons
- SI Units reference
- SIMBAD object search
- Sky Map
- SOHO realtime solar images
- Stellar classification
- Telescope airy disc calculator
- Telescope f-ratio calculator
- Telescope magnification calculator
- Transiting exoplanets
- Variable stars lookup
- Weather forecast
- See events out the year
- Offline mode, downloads events only once pr year
- Receive notifications for upcoming events.
- Add to calendar
- Share with friends
- Link provided for some events for additional information
I have to agree with Al Placette when he said this is "one of the most beautiful and oft-quoted lines ever penned about sailing and the sea..."
If you have this extreme nostalgic feeling for this ancient art of navigation using the stars and the planets rather than a GPS, then this app is for you. This app is created with the hope that it could help to do a little part in preserving this beautiful art of navigation, and may be, bringing us all a little bit closer to those courageous sea goers centuries before us.
You can also use it for practical purposes of locating your position while treking or navigating on the open sea. It is more fun to use than using a GPS and it doesn't drain your phone battery power as a GPS would.
1. This app allows you to enter sextant information of a star sighting and it calculates the most likely position for you.
2. The most likely position is shown on a map that you can zoom in and out to any location around the world.
3. It outputs the relevant information about any star that you are sighting (GHA, Declination, Intercept distance, Azimuth angle, calculated altitude, etc) for you to review. This is a handy feature so that you don't need to bother bringing those big and heavy Nautical Almanac volumes around with you.
4. It can make use of the sensor available on most smart phones to help you measure the altitude of a star by pointing your device in the direction of the star. This feature is handy when you don't have a sextant available.
5. It supports all the 57 navigation stars, plus the SUN, MOON, POLARIS and all the planets.
6. Other helpful aids: meridian, rise, set time and magnetic variation.
This software is a complement to your sextants. It is also a good tool to show your kids about astronomy and its practical benefit, that is how people have been using it to navigate their ways around the world.
If you are already familiar with sextant navigation then continue with the reading, otherwise you can read the background section on celestial navigation to familiar yourself with the concept.
To determine your position you must perform a series of star sighting (at least two but the more the better) and record the following information with the help of a sextant:
1. GMT time of the observations
2. Star name: SUN, MOON, Polaris, Sirius, Altair, etc.
3. Altitudes of the stars in degrees and minutes
4. Others info: eyes height above sea level, sextant correction index, lower or upper limb (required for the SUN and MOON only)
The app allows you to enter all these information and it calculates the most likely position for you.
Since most of us may not have a sextant, this app makes use of the available sensors on most smart phones to help you measure the altitude of the star by simply point the device to it. The sensor accuracy is within 1 degree so it is not as accurate as a good sextant but if you do several star sightings then the error will average out and you will get a good fix of your position.
Celestial Navigation Background
Rather than writing a complex mathematical tutorial on celestial navigation and perhaps turn away 90% of the users permanently, let me start by saying that celestial navigation is another way of determining your position on earth by using the stars as your light houses .
Please note that I am using the term star loosely here to mean the Sun, the Moon and the planets as well.
Most of us are familiar with the concept of the light house as it is a mean to help people at sea to determine their position and find their way to a safe port. By keeping track of light houses along your route on a map and follow them, one should be able to get to his destination without much trouble.
Similarly, this app is able to keep track of all the light houses in the sky and help you to navigate to your safe harbor - even if your GPS is broken :)
NOTE: This is the updated version. If you have any trouble with it, please email me and let me know the model Droid you have, and the problem you are having and I will see if I can help. Thanks :)
- comparing telescopes and eyepieces
- finding right set of eyepieces for your needs
- checking parameters of specific scope-eyepiece combination
- people new to astronomy - to get the hang of the relations between various parameters
Telescope Calc will calculate:
- resolving power of the telescope
- star magnitude limit
- diameter of exit pupil
- field of view
- surface brightness
- field of view transit time
- power per inch of aperture
- easiest to use telescope calculator out there
- immediate results
- allows to set the size of your eye pupil and takes it into account during related calculations
- 4 predefined formulas for finding minimum, maximum, optimum and wide-field magnifications
- can save your configurations for later
- optimized for tablets and phones
A planetarium in your smartphone.
This software will help the amateur astronomer.
250,000 stars.(SAO catalogue)
Download the file here and copy this in the folder sdcard/astrotools.
NGC & IC (13000 objects) with filter.
Position of the planets.
Fiel of view Eyepiece and/or CCD/EOS.
Height & azimuth in real time.
Plotting Aid differential representation of coordinated circles refer to RA and DEC.
Search and filter based on the different catalogs.
more => http://astronomytools.blogspot.com/
Keywords: astronomy, , stars, constellations, galaxy, ngc, ic, telrad, planetarium, messier, skymap.
Night mode changes the display to a display suitable for night use.
This app is a subset of the features available as part of the Night Sky Tools app.
Calculates azimuth, elevation, hour angle, declination and right ascension.
On first start, the app will download a list of satellites from www.strickling.net when clicking on menu item 'Select Satellite'.
Bugs found? Please send error report for error loclisation and removal!
Keywords: Amateur astronomy, satellite, observation, photography, Astra, Eutelsat, arabsat, türksat, Orientation
NGC Mate is a simple database application which contains the full revised New General and Index Catalog of astronomical objects. Its main power is the search and sort capability with which it lets you find the objects you want to observe. You can make your night's observing list in seconds with ease. It contains links to the Messier, Caldwell and Herschel 400 objects as well. As a vivid astronomer you can spend more time beside you telescope and let the search be done by NGC Mate.
In the details page you will get information about:
• catalog (including Messier, Caldwell and Herschel 400 object numbers)
• common name
• type and subtype
• RA, Dec
• visual magnitude
• size and position angle
• visibility, and transit time
The application can also download images of objects (basically areas around coordinates) from the Internet, if you have network access. All downloaded images are stored locally in the device's memory, so a second download or network access is not required, until you wipe the cached images from the memory.
Please have a look at our video tutorial to see how easy it is to operate the application.
The application is able to be displayed in normal mode as well as night mode.
See the best viewing spots on the map.
No ads only in the paid version!
If you don't care about astronomy, don't download!
Apart from the magnification, the field of view and the F ratio of your telescope, FOViewer Deluxe will show you the local time, your GPS coordinates, the current moonphase, a clear sky clock for your location, a bubble level and a compass to help you get that GOTO telescope properly aligned!
So to summarize, FOViewer Deluxe;
• Calculates the magnification, F ratio and field of view for a particular telescope / eyepiece combination.
• Calculates the exit pupil for a particular telescope / eyepiece combination.
• Alerts you when your magnifications goes beyond the maximum useful magnification of your telescope.
• Shows you your field of view as a circle drawn on photos of celestial objects. All objects of the Messier and NGC catalogue are available.
• Shows the field of view of your (CCD/DSLR) camera as a rectangle drawn on photos of celestial objects. The field of view rectangle can be rotated. All objects of the Messier and NGC catalogue are available.
• Let’s you add and remove your own telescopes, eyepieces, CCD camera's and barlow lenses.
• Shows your local time to help you configure your GOTO telescope.
• Shows your current GPS position.
• Shows you where magnetic north is by means of a compass.
• Shows you the current moonphase.
• Shows you a clear sky clock for your current location.
• Much more!
A few pointers on using FOViewer.
• Tap the arrow icons in the top bar to cycle through eyepieces and cameras.
• Tap the arrow icons in the lower bar to cycle through objects in the current catalogue.
• Frequently calibrate your build-in electronic compass by drawing figure 8’s in the air.
If you export your gear from the trial version (Add gear > Menu > Export), it will be automatically imported in the full version of FOViewer Deluxe.
More from developer
High Score saving
Fun and addictive gameplay
platformer, flappy bird, birds, angry, fish, pipe, upbeat, colorful, flabby, bish
High Score saving
Fun and addictive gameplay
Are you ready for a REAL tower defense game?
Can you handle:
-Up to 100 on-screen enemies at once
-Unlimited waves of enemies
-and 4 customised difficulties
Just drag and drop a turret from the side bar onto the battlefield.
You can upgrade each turret up to four times to increase range, damage, rate of fire, stun length and freeze length.
Action packed scenes with loads of enemies and turrets on screen at once may hinder the performance on older phones, if this affects you, simply tap the GFX icon in the menu to turn off special effects and recieve a big performance increase!
Keywords: defense, defence, td, tower defense, resource, challenging, extreme, achievement, app to SD, game, defend, free game
Take command of a spacecraft and fly to different planets collecting coins and stars for the return flight!
-Multiple different worlds to explore!
-Engaging skill based and puzzle based challenges!
-Fluid and smooth controls.
-Colorful art and an upbeat soundtrack.
-Great new updates and content coming. All for free!
Need help picking your first telescope? Not sure what it's capable of? Why not try before you buy?!
After a series of precise mathmatical calculations, Telescope Simulator will show exactly what any planet will look like through ANY telescope!!
You can even simulate different barlow lenses or eyepieces on your currect telescope to see what it's capable of!
Select from over 50 popular telescopes from Orion, Celestron and Meade to see what they are capable of!
If your telescope is not on the list, simply tap the 'Custom' button and enter its aperture and focal length and the Telescope Simulator will do the rest!
Telescope Simulator will also simulate all the negative effects of real telescopes so you know exactly what you are buying!
Just like with a real telescope, if you magnify a scope beyond its capabilities your image will get blurry and dim.
For added effect, there is an optional 'Seeing' toggle button that factors in bad atmospheric conditions.
You can even select the Hubble as your telescope just to compare!
Like this app on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TelescopeSimulator
Keywords: jwst, saturn, astronomy, astronomer, star, star gazer, sky map, stellarium, jupiter, mars, uranus, pluto, centauri, ISS, international space station, mercury, venus, eyepiece, barlow, deep sky
Can you keep all your customers satisfied while making a profit?
Some features include:
Buying Ads to increase business
Achievements for lasting replayability
Upgrades to your cart to increase appeal and stock limits
Statistics to measure progress
Will you water down your lemonade to cut costs?
Or have a healthy mix to keep customers happy?
keywords: business, simulator, sales, lemon, fruit, water, achievements, drink, company, simulation, management
Upgrade 5 different aspects of your car to build a top performing machine to dodge any traffic!
• Custom paint jobs
• Upgradeable car engine
• Upgradeable handling
• Active fuel gauge
• Slowly increasing difficulty
• Accelerometer controlled
• Great soundtrack
Drive to become the worlds best!
driving, cars, need for speed, stunt, asphalt, kart, cart, crash, smash,
Many of which can be seen with the naked eye!
Browse through a list of hundreds of galaxies, nebulae and globular star clusters all currently in your sky!
If you are heading out star gazing on the weekend, simply enter the date and time to pre plan your night of observing or imaging.
First time use:
Open the app and you will be prompted to enter the latitude and longitude for your current location find these out by typing in any search engine: "[MY CITY] longitude and latitude".
When entering coordinates, be sure to use negative for south and east, eg. 37 south & 144 east is -37 and -144.
keywords: astronomy, astrophotography, space, planets, stars, galaxy, jupiter, telescope, milkyway, binoculars, moon, nebula, chart, map, stellarium, solar, system, constellation, astrology
In this catalogue of 112 deep sky objects over 35 can be seen with out the use of a telescope or binoculars!
Just scroll to an object of your choosing and tap "Locate".
The location data will be sent to your Google Sky Map application which will show you the location of that object in the sky!
For beginners to professionals, this app makes finding all the brightest galaxies, nebulae and star clusters as easy as one tap of a button!
Listed with each object is its brightness in magnitude and what the minimum optical gear is necessary to view it.
All you need is a dark, clear sky and a passion for Astronomy! :D
Optional: To view the wikipedia page for each object an active internet connection is required.
To use the "Locate" feature Google Sky Map (free) is required.
keywords: space, andromeda, messier catalogue, ngc, carl sagan, neil degrasse tyson, nebula, nebulae, orion, catalog, telescope, binoculars, deep sky, hubble
Now is your chance!
Set up your own Ice Cream stand! Decide on specific prices of your wares to ensure you create the best business possible!
Advertise your stand to increase business
Achievements for lasting replayability
Upgrades to your cart to increase appeal and
Auto saving and loading
Statistics to measure progress
keywords: business, simulator, sales,
lemonade, fruit, water, achievements, drink,
company, simulation, management, vanilla,
chocolate, strawberry, icecream, iced cream
Browse through a giant map of North America that outlines the areas most affected by light pollution!
Find the darkest skies near you so you can see all those faint galaxies you can't see from cities!
Challenge your friends to see who has the quickest reaction speed! This is a true test of reflexes!
-Bronze, silver and gold stars awarded based on how well you perform in challenges
-Multiple Game Modes that add extra challenges and modifiers to the existing game
-Saving high scores and achievements automatically
-Easy to use, straight forward interface
-Precise and accurate controls
-Fast and fun gameplay
Global Leaderboard via Amazon Game Circle
keywords: colorful, fun, challenging, achievements, catch, falling, banana, apple, orange, watermelon, bomb, bombs, score, highscore, pokemon, pokemon stadium, minigame, pokemon stadium minigame, n64