Are you using your smart phone or tablet in the late evening? Twilight may be a solution for you!
Recent research suggests that exposure to blue light before sleep may distort your natural (circadian) rhythm and cause inability to fall asleep.
The cause is the photoreceptor in your eyes, called Melanopsin. This receptor is sensitive to a narrow band of blue light in the 460-480nm range which may suppress Melatonin production - a hormone responsible for your healthy sleep-wake cycles.
In experimental scientific studies it has been shown an average person reading on a tablet or smart phone for a couple of hours before bed time may find their sleep delayed by about an hour.
The Twilight app makes your device screen adapt to the time of the day. It filters the flux of blue light emitted by your phone or tablet after sunset and protects your eyes with a soft and pleasant red filter. The filter intensity is smoothly adjusted to the sun cycle based on your local sunset and sunrise times.
Get more from Twilight
1) Bed reading: Twilight is more pleasant on the eyes for night reading. Especially as it is able to lower the screen backlight far below the ability of the backligt controls on your screen
2) AMOLED screens: We have tested Twilight on an AMOLED screen for 2.5 years without any sign of depletion or over-burning. If properly configured Twilight causes less light emission (by enabling dimming) with more equal light distribution (dark areas of the screen such as the status bar get tinted). This may in fact increase your AMOLED screen life time.
Basics on circadian rhythm and the role of melatonin
- location - to find out your current sunset/surise times
- running apps - to stop Twilight in selected apps
- write settings - to set back-light
- network - access smartlight (Philips HUE) to shield you household light from blue
Automation (Tasker or other)
Related scientific research
Amplitude Reduction and Phase Shifts of Melatonin, Cortisol and Other Circadian Rhythms after a Gradual Advance of Sleep and Light Exposure in Humans Derk-Jan Dijk, & Co 2012
Exposure to Room Light before Bedtime Suppresses Melatonin Onset and Shortens Melatonin Duration in Humans Joshua J. Gooley, Kyle Chamberlain, Kurt A. Smith & Co, 2011
Effect of Light on Human Circadian Physiology Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler 2009
Efficacy of a single sequence of intermittent bright light pulses for delaying circadian phase in humans Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, & Co 2009
Intrinsic period and light intensity determine the phase relationship between melatonin and sleep in humans Kenneth P. Wright, Claude Gronfier & Co 2009
The Impact of Sleep Timing and Bright Light Exposure on Attentional Impairment during Night Work Nayantara Santhi, Daniel Aeschbach & Co 2008
Short-Wavelength Light Sensitivity of Circadian, Pupillary, and Visual Awareness in Humans Lacking an Outer Retina Farhan H. Zaidi & Co, 2007
High sensitivity of the human circadian melatonin rhythm to resetting by short wavelength light. Lockley SW, Brainard GC, Czeisler CA. 2003
Sensitivity of the human circadian pacemaker to nocturnal light: melatonin phase resetting and suppression Jamie M Zeitzer, Derk-Jan Dijk & Co 2000
For a desktop alternative, try RedShift (Linux) or on Windows the app which has no relation to this project whatsoever, whose name cannot be said aloud or whispered as it is a Trademark, lets call it Lord Voldemort of the blue light flux filtering apps.Guessed it? Let us know in the comments.
-Healthy Living Resources
-Meal Planning ideas and sample shopping lists
-Workout and Nutrition information
... AND MORE!!!
You can include these foods in any sensible weight loss plan. They give your body the extra metabolic kick that it needs to shave off weight quickly.
If you want to know how to diet or lose weight fast, this application can help you.
Each one of the following foods is clinically proven to promote weight loss. You should lose weight by starting from healthy foods. These diet foods go a step beyond simply adding no fat to your system. Natural way is the great solution. These super foods can suppress your appetite for junk food and keep your body running healthy and smoothly with clean fuel and efficient energy.
- A lot of healthy foods infomation.
- You can share all foods detail to others.
- Easy to use.
• Enjoy food the right way - Healthy eating: Eat better food without losing on taste. Learn healthy eating habits. Enjoy 1000s of recipes, meals & snack ideas, nutrition analysis, 5 a day and cut out bad foods. Includes Food Diary.
• Improve your performance - Fitness: Achieve the recommended 150 mins of activity per week. Increase energy levels, strengthen your bones & muscles. Includes Fitness Tracker
• Feel good, function well - Wellbeing: Boost your wellbeing with mind, body and mood challenges. Improve sleep by monitoring patterns. Feel happier by recording the good in life
• Reach your goals - Progress: Improve your chances for success by tracking your progress, set long-term and mini goals. Monitor regularly with charts and timelines
• Become a Health Pro!: Challenge yourself in levels, advance from Novice to Health Pro status, earning points, badges and climbing the Leaderboard
Healthy eating – Food diary, Recipe Centre, Shopping List
• Food Diary: track your nutrition for instant analysis of protein, saturates, fibre, lipids, sugar, fats and salt intake
• Recipe Centre: 1000s of healthy meals, snacks and recipe ideas for all skill levels
• Healthy Eating Plans and specialist health plans to suit a variety of dietary and health needs - includes Low-Gi, Vegetarian, High fibre
• Personalisation: Your app, your taste - includes food exclusions
• Tally Tracking: Easily see your daily, water, fruit and vegetable intake
• Shopping List: Plan ahead and order your shopping with Tesco Grocery online
• Achieve a balanced diet: Nutrition advice based on Government Dietary Reference Intake (RDA) guidelines
Fitness – Fitness Tracker
• Track and plan your activity
• Add workouts to your fitness tracker choosing cardio or strength
• 100s of exercises to choose from
Wellbeing – Sleep Tracker, Wellbeing Diary, Challenges, Gratitudes
• Challenges: Weekly body, mind and mood challenges
• Sleep Tracker: Log your sleep, monitor patterns
• Gratitudes: Record the good in life with Random Acts of Kindness
• Goals: Set your personal goals and follow your progress
• Analysis: Nutrition, fitness, wellbeing and weight loss
• Weekly Health Review: Analysis of your week plus guidance to improve
• Achievements: Daily display of your achievements – badges and rewards
Healthy living – Become a Health Pro!
• Levels: Conquer 4 levels from Health Novice to Health Pro
• Timeline: Connect with other members, share successes
• Leaderboard: Earn Health Points and climb to #1 position
• Badges Cabinet: Fill your cabinet as you progress
Top tips for using the Tesco Health & Wellbeing App
- Reduce saturates and reduce lipids in your diet with the Food Diary
- Get your recommended grams of fat, grams of protein, grams of fibre and more with expert nutrition advice
- Use the barcode scanner to add food to your diary: read the barcode to learn about cals, fibre and other nutrition in your meals
- Hydrate body and mind; track your progress with one button each time you hydrate
- Use easy trackers to record fruit and vegetables
- Track your progress in weight, waist-to-hip measurements and other key health indicators
Over 3,000,000 Users love 7 minutes workout, Scientifically proven to aid weight loss & improve cardiovascular function.
If you want to lose weight, get a flat tummy & strengthen abdominal muscles, get the dreamed abs with sixpack, 7 minutes abs workout can strengthen your core and tone your abs, with videos on how to perform each exercise.
Don't have an hour for daily workout and abs workout? you might not need it, just try 7 minute quick fit workout, it has Video Tutorial to help you do it right!
The most appropriate exercises for usual people just like you and me, you can do it quick fit anytime anywhere, it only takes 7 minutes. This 7 minute workout is highlighted by the New York Times "Maximum Results With Minimal Investment".
This 7 minute workout application is base on HICT (high intensity circuit training) that was proved the most “safe, effective, and efficient” way to improve your muscular and aerobic fitness, don't need go to gym.Try the 7 minute quick fit workout and abs workout, and make you healthier.
The 7 minute workout only take you about 7 minutes quick fit, consists 12 exercises to be done for 30 seconds, with 10 seconds breaks between each exercise. All you need just a chair and a wall, repeat 2-3 circuits according to your time. This must your first choice for office workout, or home quick fit workout.
Support Google Fit;
Voice guild you when you need to start 7 minute workout or rest;
Adjust the circuit time according to your situation;
Adjust the rest time;
Keep the screen on when you workout;
Beautiful character and UI design;
Workout log shows your complete workout time;
Ability to pause the workout, and skip to previous or next exercise;
Notification for daily workout;
The daily workout include 12 exercises, they are Jumping jacks, Wall sit, Push-up, Abdominal crunch, Step-up onto chair , Squat , Triceps dip on chair, Plank , High knees/running in place , Lunge, Push-up and rotation, Side plank, the exercise are full body workouts, leg workout, arm workout, butt workout, cardio workout.
This 7 min gym daily quick fit workout will be your personal trainer,it is cardio workout, help you fitness, and lose weight, trained your arm workout, leg workout, full body muscles, you can do it at office or home.
This 7 min daily workout and abs workout really works, it is the effective gym exercised for everyone, girl, woman, man, work person, you can make it as office workout, home workout, we sure 7 min workout gym will help you!
Enjoy the 7 min gym! like sit ups, push ups, squats, plank, jumping jack.
For save data to SD card or in the phone;
Support save data to Google fit;
You can get important phone call even at the exercises;
This permission is for starting up notification even reboot the phone;
For notification vibration;
We recommend that you use the 24alife app with 24alife portal (www.24alife.com), where you can choose a goal and follow it, with the help of your personal program. Registration is free.
SPORT ACTIVITY MONITORING
• Keep track of your outdoor activities (with or without GPS data)
• Manually enter preformed activities
• Monitor aerobic activities with a Bluetooth HR monitor (Polar WearLink® transmitter with Bluetooth®)
• Perform strength workouts – circuit and traditional (with stations)
• Take part in a physical performance test (available: Cooper, Rockport, and Step tests)
• Check your activities with maps and graphs in the history section
• Take photos of your meals, enter nutritional values and keep track of your eating habits
• Food pyramid to help keep track of your daily intake
RELAXATION WITH PSYCHOLOGICAL EXERCISES
• Listen to psychological tips and exercises, to learn how to relax efficiently
BODY PARAMETERS MONITORING
• Keep track of your weight, body fat percentage, and BMI
• Monitor blood pressure and blood sugar
• Choose a goal on the portal and conduct with your smartphone (14-day goal)
• Keep track of your chosen goal
• Track daily goals and uncompleted activities on the app home screen.
• Monitor your progress
• Stay motivated with the help of our motivational messages
• Sync data with the www.24alife.com portal
• Share your activities with friends on Facebook
By Upgrading to 24alife PRO you can:
• View exercises with descriptions and videos, for proper execution
• Take part in psychological exercises, for improved relaxation
• Transfer your goal’s program
Gain insight into your sleep, track moon phases, keep a dream diary and more using your preferred Android device:
- Track your sleep duration, cycles and efficiency with the simple tap of a button
- Make use of all tracking features, even when in airplane mode, by simply setting your device on your bed (next to your pillow)
- Develop a better understanding of your light sleep, deep sleep & time spent awake in bed, (when falling asleep or waking up in the morning)
- Use the Smart Alarm to wake up at the ideal time within your personalized Wake-Up Window
- Enjoy a variety of alarm sounds and snooze functionality for a perfect, personalized start to your day
- Enter daily habits & variables, such as caffeine consumption, exercise info, alcohol consumption and stress level, to determine the effects of these variables on your sleep quality
- Monitor moon phases
- Keep a dream diary to learn what you dream about most and what percentage of your dreams are good, bad or neutral
- Note your moods as part of your daily stats upon each wake up
- View sleep history - your personal tracking log - within a clean, modern app design, including daily stats and overviews for longer time periods (i.e. a selected week or month)
- Filter history taking daily variables into account to determine when you’re sleeping best
* Some functions & benefits are limited in the free version of Sleep Better. To access all benefits, users are encouraged to take advantage of the Sleep Better in-app purchase.
What are you waiting for? Download this simple, yet functional, sleep recorder and smart alarm today and start your tracking tonight! If you’d like even more information on why sleep is such an important component of your overall health, wellness and fitness efforts, please visit the Runtastic Blog today. We’re pleased to share a sleep series with interested users & readers to help YOU truly make the most of your shut eye. Sleep-related insights and further information on 24-hour tracking with Runtastic are also covered on our Fitness Channel on YouTube and throughout our social media channels. Go on - grab a cup of tea, settle in for a few moments & relax… Happy learning and sweet dreams.
Sleep Better with Runtastic: Because great nights lead to great days!
Please comment with your feedback, we are listening. Thank you to those that have helped us make this app better.