What is it?
This app is a viewer for passbooks - a passbook could be a e.g. boarding-pass for your next flight, a coupon for a nice hot beverage on the destination, a movie ticket, a membership card - there are a lot of possibilities.
Basically it is a replacement for a piece of paper or plastic you would normally have to carry with you - so lets save some trees and reduce waste!
Also this app is Free-Software - Free not only as in "Free Beer" - but more as in Richard Stallmans Concept of Free and Open Software for a better World.
How does it work?
There are so called pkpass files - you can open them with this app - e.g. when you receive them via email or get an Download-option. The most important content is the BarCode ( QR , AZTEC & PDF417which authorizes you most of the time - but it also has other interesting content like a description - often a time ( that you now can add to your calendar ) - often also locations ( to give you directions ) - just try It out!
The app is offline usable once you downloaded the pass!
I stumbled upon Passbook files when i received my ticket for the 29c3 - I liked the Idea - but there was no Android App which was working for me. I saw that the implementation is quite easy ( just a zip container with json and images ) - The first version was build very quick & was working for me ( got entry to 29C3 ) - In the following year I have not worked on this app much as I had no real use-cases but there where a lot of users downloading the app and I fixed processing of some passes that where send to me ( some passes contain really broken json .. )
One year later - just before the 30C3 - I came to work a bit on this app again - for 2 reasons:
- a friend of mine is very into this whole BTLE thing and location beacon / context aware thing could be interesting for Passbook - but nothing ready yet
- I got a mail from a Luis Torrecilla - a very nice designer who did a great redesign
This all was leading to PassAndroid - a completely new version - with a new look and new functions ( sorting and adding to calendar alongside pull to refresh a navigation drawer and contextual ActionBar menu )
Passes that work
Austrian Airlines ( http://www.austrian.com/ )
cleartrip ( tested with IRCTC - Indian Railway )
Porter Airlines ( tested in North America )
Ticketfly ( tested in North America )
Saudi Arabian Airlines
entrada cine ( entradas.com )
Empire Theatres Tickets
owl ticket Kinépolis
Cineworld in Middlesborough UK
Cinecitta in Nuremberg
Kinepolis cinemas in Belgium
chaos communication congress
these are only some I know of - please drop me an email or post into the community about the ones you know that work
Source Code / Issues
both on github:
Keywords: cards gift cards store cards pass passes passbooks qr-code qr-codes ticket tickets entry loyalty cards passsource membership identification member conference ticket boarding pass travel
Introduced in Apple's iOS 6, Passbook's PKPass file format will quickly become the de facto standard for mobile ticketing.
To import a Passbook pass, simply click on the link / attachment (as you would a PDF or image file) and select PassWallet. The Passbook pass is then stored in PassWallet.
Note, this application manages .pkpass files, and will not create passes from other links / webpages / document formats.
Backup of Passbook passes (and syncing between devices) possible via Dropbox or Google Drive.
Passbook passes can be redeemed via NFC using codeREADr (https://www.codereadr.com), Tap-Thru (http://spirals.co.jp) or other compatible readers.
PassWallet is now fully integrated with Renfe (http://www.renfe.com/) in Spain.
PassWallet works with Lufthansa (see http://atti.do/pw-lufthansa for details) and other airlines that offer .pkpass files as downloads / email attachments.
List of services in use with PassWallet here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/passwallet/passwallet-supported-sites/614638531917970
RENFE, entradas.com, airberlin, Lufthansa, Kinepolis, Cleartrip, Wizz Air, ticketea, Swiss International Air Lines, Nettbuss, Resorts World Manila, Hesta, Binter Canarias, Ticketfly, Virgin Australia, Рамблер, Walnut Passes & Germanwings
Developer documentation to support push updates and integrate with Android apps can be found here http://atti.do/pwdev
Full FAQ can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/passwallet/passwallet-faq/546965562018601
Q) What does "Scan code" do?
A) Apple introduced in iOS7 the concept of Passbook branded QR codes that contain the URL of a pass, allowing a user to quickly import a new pass. e.g. a coffee shop could have a QR code for a coupon for your next visit by the checkout. These are currently not widely available.
Q) A pkpass isn't offered on a website / confirmation email when using an Android device, but is when using iOS. Why?
A) Some companies currently block access to pkpass files for non-iOS users. If you could email the company in question (we think it'll hold more weight coming from their customers) and CC email@example.com we'll do our best to follow it up.
Q) Will you be supporting Samsung Wallet?
A) We will look into Samsung Wallet should it start being offered to consumers via websites, emails, etc.
Q) I click on a link to my ticket and PassWallet isn't on the list of apps. Why?
A) Is the link referring to a .pkpass file? If the list of apps are all web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) or PDF viewers (Adobe Reader, Amazon Kindle, etc.) you've probably got a ticket in the form of a web page or PDF.
Q) I'm seeing problems with PassWallet. What do I do?
A) While we strive to test PassWallet on a good cross section of devices, we are currently compatible with 3,469 different Android devices, each running multiple versions of Android OS, with different network operator customisations. If every app developer tested on ALL of these, there'd be less than a hundred apps in Google Play! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the problem, including as much info as you can (device details, what you were doing, what else was running, etc.) and we'll look into it.
"Passbook" & "iOS" are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
"Samsung Wallet" is a registered trademark of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
Fully support Apple Passbook specification：
1) Collect and manage membership card, coupon tickets, event tickets, movies tickets, transport cards and five kinds of pass.
2) Support QR Code, Aztec, and PDF417
3) Show the relevent passes on the lock screen according to current location or time
4) Support iBeacon
5) Support changing notification and updating of Passbook
6) Support localisation of the pass, and up to 35 languages.
What is Passbook?
Passbook is the officially electric cards and tickets ( aka passes) standard specified by Apple. There is a Passbook App you can collect passes directly for iOS. Also, there is a Passes App you can collect Passbook passes for Android.
A lot of wel-known companies support Passbook such as transportation, movie theater, event tickets, coffee, fast food, cosmeceutical shops and etc. :
RENFE, entradas.com, airberlin, Lufthansa, Kinepolis, Cleartrip, Wizz Air, ticketea, Swiss International Air Lines, Nettbuss, Resorts World Manila, Hesta, Binter Canarias, Ticketfly, Virgin Australia, ???????, Walnut Passes & Germanwings, Starbucks, MLB, Dunkin' Donuts, hotel.com, airbnb, Target, Fandango, Walgreens, Sephora, TicketMaster, American Airlines, United Airlines, Gyft, Expedia Hotels, Living Social, AMC Theaters’, Eventbrite, Coupons.com, Stubhub, Air Canada, Cleartrip, Fly Delta, McDonald’s Germany, and etc.
"Passbook" is the registered trademark of Apple Inc. Passes is not Apple official App.
It creates industry standard Aztec bar-code. Automatically deletes expired boarding passes.
* Retrieving your mobile boarding pass
- Once registered, you'll get your personal MeeTicket e-mail address
- When using online check in, on your airline website, choose to retrieve your boarding pass by « e-mail » and use your MeeTicket e-mail address (ending with @meeticket.com)
- Automatically and in a matter of seconds your boarding pass will be loaded into your MeeTicket Application and the original email sent by your airline will be forwarded to your regular email address.
* At the airport
- Because you have no time to waste at the airport, MeeTicket will display your flight status automatically at app launch.
- From the flight status screen, see if your flight is on-time, which gate to go and access your boarding pass(es) easily
- Your boarding pass will be displayed even if there is no available network
- The boarding pass will be displayed full screen and will allow you to pass security gates and boarding gates without a glitch (IATA specifications: QR code / Aztec / Datamatrix).
- Display size is optimized for reading (scanning) the code (the MeeTicket).
- Trip informations is also displayed for the airline staff to read.
- Automatic sleep mode is de-activated while you are showing your boarding pass.
MeeTicket processes boarding passes as they are issued by the Airlines. So you don't need to worry; they will work as good as if they were displayed in airlines own App. And more than often they will be displayed in a better quality thanks to MeeTicket storage and display optimizations. And you will need one App only for all your trips !
* MeeTicket : more! more ! more!
- Are you traveling with your family or friends?
Centralize all your boarding passes by loading them all on one single phone. All you need to do is use the same e-mail address each time you are retrieving them from your airline's website.
- Do you like to be on the safe side ? Have a MeeShare attitude!
Arriving at the Airport with a battery-dead phone is rare but it does happen sometimes … If you are traveling with friends or colleagues, you can share your boarding pass with them on one or more mobiles. That is "MeeShare".
MeeShare can also be used simply to share your trip infos with anyone by SMS or email.
- For Facebook & Twitter fans out there
Tell your friends and your followers that you are about to board! On the day of departure let MeeTicket post automatically the message you defined along with your trip infos on selected social networks.
- Free Time
Getting bored while waiting at the airport? See if some of our partners' offers might be of interest to you. It's all here in the Free Time tab! Offers are refreshed regularly.
Log in once and you'll have fast and easy access to everything you need - trips, flight status, boarding passes, check-in and more.
Download the app today and you can also:
- Quickly view flight info from your recent searches
- Check in quickly from 'My trips'
- Look up, label and organize your trips
- Store all your boarding passes in the app's boarding pass wallet
- Email trip info to your friends and family
- See club locations and terminal information
- Access your Dividend Miles account and read news
Mobile boarding passes
When you check in, choose 'Send my passes to my smartphone' and enter the email address you used to register. Then, you can access all your passes in the boarding pass wallet.
Free in the air
You can use the US Airways app and usairways.com for free on flights with Gogo internet!
Upon installation, you are consenting to the install of this application and any future updates or upgrades you may request.