When planning you can:
- View the route overlayed on Google Maps Satellite view or Road Map view.
- Display the locations of essential facilities on top of the map, including hotels, hostels, B&Bs, campsites, restaurants, pubs, shops, transport links, etc.
- Display information about each facility, including links to the appropriate website for detailed information. So you can find the best accommodation options and link straight to their websites for contact details and booking.
- Display the locations of other points of interest, including local mountains and historic sites. Further information and links to websites are presented where appropriate.
- Display detailed information about the distance of each day's walk, including height ascended and descended. You can also pick any 2 points on the route and display the distance between them.
- Choice of miles or Km.
- Customise the segments of the route so that each day's walk is tailored for the distance you want to walk and the places you want to stay.
- Create and save your own favourite places on or close to the route, for example if you find accommodation that's not listed in the app itself.
When you come to walk the route, in addition to everything listed above, the app uses GPS positioning to allow you to:
- Display your current position on the map of the route.
- Pick any point on the route and display the distance to it from your current position.
You can also keep a diary as you walk the route:
- Your diary entries are tagged with the date, time and your GPS position.
- You can display your diary entries overlayed on the map of the route.
- You can send individual diary entries to your friends by email or SMS.
- You can also send your whole diary as an attachment to an email.
Watch out for future walking, hiking and trekking apps developed by Calton Hill Ltd. We intend producing guides for other National Trails, Great Trails, Long Distance Routes and other waymarked trails and recreational routes in the UK, England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. Please send us an email telling us which other routes you'd like us to cover.
From the Clyde shipyards, to wading birds on the estuary; or the grouse moors of the highlands to the gaelic poetry inspired by the landscape, the stories describe the links between man and Scotland’s rich natural environment.
The stories are narrated by well-known broadcasters Fiona MacDonald and Mark Stephen and include poetry and sound effects as well as sounds of the natural world.
The app includes
• stunning images from noted photographers showing Scotland’s diverse wildlife, landscapes and places of historical interest.
• interviews and snippets from experts and enthusiasts. Listeners can hear from bird experts, a distiller, a countryside ranger and a broadcaster, among others, as they share their knowledge and passion about the natural world and natural resources of Scotland.
How the Explore Scotland app makes holiday planning quick and easy:
• Find places to visit and things to do, wherever you are or wherever you'd like to go
• Tailor your search by what you like to do, what's nearby or by name
• Find the best way to get about with our in-built journey planner
• Save places or events to your trip itinerary for easy reference
• Map view to easily find and navigate to places and events near you
• Get contact details for local businesses in a couple of clicks
• Scotland's largest and most comprehensive events, attractions and activities search, updated daily
• Travel planner - find out how best to get to your chosen destination
• Local weather checker
• Restaurant and bar finder
• Accommodation search
* Please note Android 4.0.3 users may encounter some issues with this application, we recommend upgrading to a more recent Android version.