Also available on the ISAF website are details of Racing Rule changes authorized by ISAF under Rule 86.2, National Prescriptions and ISAFs Policy on the Reproduction of The Racing Rules.
As a result of actions taken by the ISAF Racing Rules Committee and the ISAF Council during the ISAF Annual Conference, changes may be made to The Racing Rules of Sailing. These changes are published as Supplements to the RRS.
A great alternative to costly standalone compasses like the Tacktick Microcompass, the Raymarine Micronet RaceMaster, and the Velocitek ProStart, Regatta Recon offers all of the same functionality at a fraction of the cost. If you’re looking for a gift for a sailing enthusiast, regatta racer, or boat owner, the Regatta Recon app is just what you’re looking for.
•With the ability to record the elapsed time of up to 6 finishers, PHRF calculations on the way to the dock are a cinch.
•Sports an intuitive interface that’s easier to use than devices costing hundreds of dollars more, right on your phone or tablet.
•Available on all phones and tablets that have an internal compass.
•No mobile connection or outside intervention needed for RegattaRecon to work, so it’s “Class Legal”.
•Mast mounting brackets compatible with any bracket designed for the venerable Tacktick Microcompass, the Raymarine Micronet RaceMaster, and the Velocitek ProStart, can be purchased separately (COMING SOON).
Here’s what people are saying about Regatta Recon:
“Bought this app unsure if it could really deliver on the promise of a TackTick at $15 but I’ve tested it alongside my Garmin and its giving me reliable numbers all over the course. It seems to deliver and as we use it, we are liking it more and more. We ran practice starts and first mark beats all weekend and the app really delivered above our expectations. The life proof case on the iPhone really insures a great set of functionality- course charts, NOAA bouy info and now a great racing app. I highly recommend the app.”
App for sailors, yachts and boats, containing
a set of nautical applications:
- Magnetic Compass
- Speedometer in knots, mph or km/h, Course over Ground
- Mark or edit waypoint
- Distance measurement in nautical miles and meters. Also useful for anchoring.
- Course to Waypoint
All in large, high contrast characters
*** THIS IS THE PREVIEW VERSION WHICH ONLY COVERS THE BASIC RULES AND THE START ***
The app shows how the official ISAF racing rules of sailing are put into practice and apply during a regatta. It is made for anyone who doesn't find the time or motivation to study the text-based version.
If you are looking for an easy way to learn the ISAF racing rules or simply want to re-fresh your knowledge, this app is for you.
Regardless of your sailing experience you will get a better understanding of how the racing rules of sailing interact on the course and how you can use them to your advantage. All important rule changes of the 2013 - 2016 edition are included, as well.
The racing situations are categorized into into Basic Rules, Start, Upwind Leg, Windward Mark, Downwind Leg, Downwind Mark and Finish, which makes them easy to find and access. Swipe gestures are used to navigate between illustrations of the same category.
• Over 80 up-to-date racing situations
• Understandable explanations
• Rule number references
• Simple navigation
• Always available on your phone
Rule A. Approach on different tacks - Port tack shall give way
Rule B. Approach on the same tack - Windward shall give way
NB In regatta competitions (i.e. fleet- and match racing) these correspond to ISAF rules 10 and 11
Free Beta program ends on April 30, 2015!
Please send us your usage feedback, ideas for new features and especially found bugs to email@example.com!
YOUR LOCATION->FINE (GPS) LOCATION
This is one of the basic features of the app.
NETWORK COMMUNICATION->FULL INTERNET ACCESS
Needed for downloading Google Maps.
STORAGE->MODIFY/DELETE USB STORAGE CONTENTS MODIFY/DELETE SD CARD CONTENTS
Needed for writing the .GPX files onto the SD card.
SYSTEM TOOLS->PREVENT DEVICE FROM SLEEPING
When you turn off your phone's screen, the app does not stop recording your track. All your trackpoints will be memorized as expected.
YOUR ACCOUNTS->DISCOVER KNOWN ACCOUNTS
The app request access to the user's email. This is a free BETA feature, the free BETA version will be active only until May 1st 2013. On the Welcome screen you are informed that the only way to proceed to using the app is if you agree to share your email information with us, otherwise you may cancel and the information will not be collected. The permission is there so the user doesn't have to type the email, he/she just taps the "Continue" button. We need your email because while the app is in the free BETA state, the feedback from users and getting to know your needs is crucial.
DEFAULT->MODIFY BATTERY STATISTICS
This is a permission you must request if your app needs to read battery statistics. One of the features of the app is to always show the exact percentage of the battery remaining and the estimated battery lifetime left.
Help at http://nautkaapps.wordpress.com
The Fast Track has three main sections. The Dashboard, the Map View, and the Leg Comparison Tool.
Before sailing The Fast Track app, we strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the app in the simulation mode, where you will be provided with the necessary buttons to simulate your boat's speed and bearing.
You can easily define navigation waypoints, or import them from a GPX file.
The Fast Track app works as a time to line tool, synchronized with the regatta
chronometer, keeping you informed with estimated time to the start line. So you can make a perfect start!
When choosing a destination, The Fast track app will automatically
determine the theoretical wind of direction as upwind or downwind from your current position. Each time the boat passes through the direction of wind, The Fast Track app will assume the boat's tacking or gybing. And creates a new leg.
You can also specify the wind direction, so this angle will be used to decide when a tack or gybe has occurred. While the deviance keeps referred as the difference between the current boat bearing and the initial bearing to Waypoint.
The Text to Speech functionality can be activated from the preference menu, this enables The Fast track app speak specific navigation information updates, without the need to look at the screen.
Analyze your sailing through useful line charts as Speed, VMG & Deviance evolution.
Get full statistics from your sailing track as the Total Distance, Maximum & Average Speed, etc.
Save your navigation to GPX format and analyze it later in your PC, with your favorite GPS software as Google Earth, Garmin Basecamp, etc.
GPX file is saved in the folder /sdcard/TheFastTrack/AAAAMMDD_HHMM.gpx
AAAAMMDD is the date
HHMM is the time
- Offline Maps. Now you can cache (store) cartography before sailing and have it available in the middle of the sea without data connection. Based on Open Street Maps (osmdroid project) and the overlays from Open Sea Maps
- Waypoints Name & Location modification
- Proximity alerts to Waypoint
- Route Statistics (Length, Num. Waypoints, etc.)
- Enable/Disable Legs auto - generation
We recommend you to use a bluetooth external GPS antenna to enhance the accuracy of the application and get the better results.
Your comments & reviews are welcome, they help enhance the product visibility and future improvements. Thus, if you like The Fast Track, please rate it in Google Play. If you don't like it please provide some description or email us directly, so we can take it into account to fix it for future releases. If a new release solves some of your previous issues we will really appreciate if you test it again and re-evaluate it.
Special Thanks to:
Bálint László, for his contributions, ideas & hungarian language translations
Teresa Albelda & Yolanda Barranco for the French translation
for their continuous contributions & ideas to this product
Anders Ericsson for his great tutorial about Android Line Charts:
THIS IS NOT A GAME.
Application is used as an additional tool next to standard yacht equipment to take tactical decisions faster.
Sail Racer app suggest the favored end of the start line, monitors your position, time and guides the maneuvers that the start line was hit at the last moment with the best possible speed.
With the app it is easy to navigate in racing area. Interface is designed in a way that course efficiency, the lay lines and shifts could be captured in a splash of a second. Skipper does not need to analyze the numbers and can concentrate on handling the boat, maximizing performance and playing tactical games with competitors.
Every wind gust and lull affect the boat heading and is visualized in a “easy to read” shift bar on the top of compass rose. Course Deviation Indication – bar on the bottom of the compass rose displays long run course deviation between two marks.
Sail Racer is designed and developed by sailors. It has everything to sail on the edge.
- Course over ground
- Speed over ground
- Turn instruction
- Mark and Start line Range
- Wind shift indicator
- Course deviation indicator
- Cross track error
- Count down time
- Time to burn
- NMEA data connection
More information www.sailracer.net
App does NOT contain any ADS.
Sailrace.net app is free for learning (Optimist kids, Lasers and other centerboards) and for evaluation purposes. We kindly ask all keel boat racers to purchase Premium license for 10 euros / year.
Have a good start and even better finish.
* Input your course using the waypoints Navigatta already knows about, or add your own waypoints easily.
* Tell Navigatta which way round the mark to go, so you can tell the crew at a glance.
* View your Distance and Bearing to the Mark, Course over ground, Velocity Made Good and Estimated Time to Mark on a high contrast screen.
* Navigatta automatically increments to the next leg when you approach the current mark.
* View your course on the map by swiping to the map view in the Race Navigator screen.
We are building up a database of racing waypoints. If you find some that we are missing, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Luminous Development are a software company focused on user experience. Here are some nice little touches we think you'll appreciate.
When editing a race:
* Accidentally added the startline as a race mark? Just move the mark and drag it to the start line section.
* Not sure which is the port end and which is the starboard end of the line? Just add the waypoints and Navigatta will figure it out for you based on where the next mark is.
When viewing a race:
* Change the Race Navigator between Race List, Mark Information and Map View by swiping the black bar at the bottom.
* Tap a mark in the Map View to see its name and rounding details.
* You won't accidentally exit the Race Navigator when the app is in your pocket. The Race Navigator requires you to press and hold buttons (long press). Of course, you can change that behaviour in the settings screen.
* No need to unlock your device in Race Mode. The Race Navigator sits over the top of your lock screen.
* Alternatively, keep the screen on all the time if the device is mounted in the cockpit. Have a look in settings for these options.
* Navigatta monitors your race even when the screen is off. As you approach the mark, it will automatically increment to the next mark for you. If you don't pass close enough, you can set the current leg (see next).
* Long press a mark in the Race Mark List to set that as the current leg.
Navigatta uses the following permissions:
- To download existing waypoints from the Navigatta.com Waypoint Database
- To download the maps data and image tiles.
- To report your race progress to Navigatta.com
- For accurate race navigation
- For creating waypoints based on your current location
- For determining which waypoints to download from the Navigatta.com Waypoint Database if Cellular location is unavailable.
- For determining which waypoints to download from the Navigatta.com Waypoint Database
- Used for managing the Navigatta processes.
- Used by the mapping subsystem to determine how conservative to be when accessing the maps servers.
- Used by the mapping subsystem to determine if the network is available.
- Used by the mapping subsystem to cache map tiles.
- Used to inform the user that a dragged item was dropped in the wrong place.
Record your sailing trips, while you are sailing.
You can also add photos and comments to your track while sailing.
The app uploads your trip data to your free account at www.keepsailing.net, for you to re-experience the sailing trip whenever you wish.
You can also share the sailing trip with friends and family, even live while you are sailing.
Requires a free account at http://www.keepsailing.net.
Please note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. We recommend using a charger while tracking during long trips.
With this app, you can watch In-Port Races and Leg Starts live, track the boats, check out the sailors’ profiles and explore the route, the ports and all the stories behind this extraordinary adventure.
The 12th edition of the Volvo Ocean Race will start from Alicante, Spain on October 4, 2014 and finishes in Gothenburg, Sweden with a final in-port race on June 27, 2015. The seven teams will visit 11 ports and cover 38,739 nautical miles from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi, Sanya, Auckland, Itajaí, Newport, Lisbon, Lorient, The Hague and finally, Sweden.
Keep up to date with a race that exceeds all others. Follow the 66 sailors as they compete day and night for more than 20 days at a time, living on freeze-dried food and facing the toughest weather conditions on the planet. This is Life at the Extreme.
Preparation study guide for Sailing Basics and related certification exams.
The Sailing Basics Guide & Prep is a study guide which reinforces knowledge and skill requirements that can help prepare you for Basics of Sailing Certification Exams. Certified sailing candidates are expected to be able to perform safely with confident command of the boat in waters with a wind range of 5 to 15 knots. Basic Sailing graduates should be able to successfully demonstrate the ability to responsibly skipper and crew simple daysailing in familiar waters in light to moderate wind and sea conditions.
Includes more than 625 multiple choice quiz questions and 625 flashcards. Create custom flashcards, multiple-choice and glossary content. Includes glossary with common terms and definitions in eleven (11) learning modules for sailboat basics.
Module 1: Types & Parts of Sailboats
Module 2: Wind and Points of Sail
Module 3: Getting Started
Module 4: Sail Trim and Balance
Module 5: Rules of the Road
Module 6: Tides and Currents
Module 7: Anchoring
Module 8: Basics of Navigation
Module 9: Spinnaker Sailing
Module 10: Heavy Weather Sailing
Module 11: Seamanship
Module 12: Nautical Code Flags
- Create your own flashcards, multiple-choice and glossary
- Send multiple-choice quiz questions to friends
- Post score for global ranking
- Keep up to date with latest news and articles with the Sailing news feed.
Tackmaster will even tell you when to change course to maintain the most efficient route.
Using Tackmaster is very simple and full instructions are contained in the app.
Take your sailing to the next level - with Tackmaster.
Three of the „Tactical Sailing” tips start to finish are with sound. The other 11 tips include: the rules of Right of Way (ISAF), advanced racing tips of boat speed ranges for dinghies, yachts and skiffs all presented in video clips. In 2012 these tips were awarded winner of the "European Award for Technology Supported Learning - Best Media Didactics!“
Tablet and Phone: This App, however, is only the first step into the world of sailing. Designed for Tablet-PC from size 1024x800 or better. It will also display on phones, but of course in smaller sizes of videos, 90 MB of memory is required.
These tips - and further 40 tips - are part of a game: "Tactical Sailing - A Game Against the Wind" and “Boat Against Boat”. If you want to have fun with a powerful Tactic and Strategy game, See a demo for free and order it on our website www.TacticalSailing.com - runs on PC and Mac. Keep in touch with other Tactical Sailors and Coaches, see News and Info online. © Photo front page: Fried Elliott.