* New: Support for Anki 2.0 (AnkiDroid)
* New: Text to speech support. Just install the eSpeak TTS engine and get audio pronunciation for hanzi (free) or compounds (premium only).
Premium features available: search by reading/meaning, compound search, favorites and history. You can upgrade form within the application (Settings->Upgrade to premium), no need to download a separate application.
Premium upgrade price: around $3.99 (varies slightly by location/exchange rate. Press the 'Upgrade' button to display the Android Market dialog with the current price).
Just draw a character, tap 'Recognize' and select a candidate to display character reading, meaning, radical and hear audio pronunciation . Search by reading or meaning, as well as compound search also available (premium only). Characters/compounds you view are automatically saved to history and can be marked as favorite (premium only).
Follow proper, or at least basic (left to right, top to bottom, horizontal before vertical, etc.), stroke order for best results.
* Full tablet support (v2.0)
* Audio pronunciation for hanzi and compounds (uses the eSpeak text-to-speech engine)
* Search on stroke -- recognition candidates are displayed automatically as you draw
* Adjustable candidates font size
* Adjustable drawing pen size and color
* Shake to delete stroke/clear all
* Favorites and history (premium only)
* Favorites Excel (CSV) and Anki export (premium only)
* Search by reading and meaning (premium only)
* Compound search (premium only)
* Supports both traditional and simplified Chinese
* Works offline (Internet connections is only required to download resources on first run).
* Integrated character database with more than 70,000 entries
* Stroke annotation
* Undo (removes last stroke)
* Pinyin and Jyutping readings
* Radical display
* Character decomposition into components
* Display character component details
* Copy and append to clipboard
Not a handwriting input method (IME).
Ad-supported (ads are not displayed if you upgrade to premium).
Version 2.0 requires Android 2.1 and later. Earlier Android versions can use version 1.7.2.
Email me for bug reports and feature requests:
Follow me on Twitter for latest updates: @kapitanpetko
Release announcements and detailed explanation of new features on my blog:
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated Chinese English dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live camera-based character lookups, from a company with 15 years' experience making mobile Chinese learning software.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Great dictionaries: the free app comes with two dictionaries - CC-CEDICT and our in-house "PLC" dictionary - that between them cover 130,000 Chinese words and include 20,000 example sentences with Pinyin; 18 other wonderful dictionaries are available as paid upgrades. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting input: use the entire width of your device's screen to draw characters. Very accurate, with an engine licensed from China's leading maker of handwriting input systems. (basic version free, enhanced version $)
• Live Optical Character Recognizer: look up Chinese words in the dictionary simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by scrolling around a still image. ($)
• Flashcard System: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced techniques like SRS (spaced repetition), and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks and tone drills. (simple version free, full-featured $)
• Audio Pronunciation: instantly hear a native-speaker Mandarin audio recording of each Chinese dictionary headword; recordings are available for over 34,000 words. (single-syllable free, multi $)
• Powerful search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces and tones optional), or a combination, with support for wildcards and full-text search.
• Cross-referencing: tap on any Chinese character / word in any dictionary entry to bring up its definition.
• Voice Recognition: look up words by speaking them into your device's microphone. (free)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each Chinese character; over 20,000 characters are covered. ($)
• Document Reader: open a Chinese-language text file and look up unknown words in the dictionary simply by tapping on them. ($) You can also look up characters on web pages through "Share" and in other documents through the clipboard. (free)
• Mainland- and Taiwan-friendly: supports traditional and simplified characters (in dictionary definitions, stroke order, search, OCR, and handwriting), and supports Zhuyin as well as Pinyin for pronunciation display.
• Cantonese: display headwords + perform searches in Jyutping/Yale romanization. (free) We also offer Cantonese dictionary and Cantonese audio add-ons. ($)
• Tablet-friendly: includes a 2-panel (results + definition together) interface that's perfect for tablets.
• No ads: we won't even nag you about buying add-ons.
We also offer excellent customer support - send us an email and see for yourself - and an active user community at plecoforums.com.
We've been making Chinese dictionary apps since 2000, and our sales and customer base have been steadily growing for 15 years across four different platforms. We take good care of our longtime users, too - people who bought the Oxford dictionary from us on a Palm Pilot in 2001 can still use that dictionary on their brand new Android phone in 2015 without even having to pay an upgrade fee. You can be confident we'll be fixing bugs and adding features for many years to come.
Paid add-ons can be transferred to another device like any other paid app; load the free version of Pleco on your new device, go into "Add-ons" and tap "Restore Purchases."
If you already own Pleco on another OS, see pleco.com/android for upgrade / license transfer options.
- Full English definition (CC-CEDICT)
- Mandarin pinyin
- Lists of most frequent and HSK characters
- Search characters by radical, character or pinyin, including a list of characters hard to find
- Traditional variant
- Optional display of frequent compounds (requires network)
- Mark characters as favorite
- Pick up random characters
- Quiz mode
- Optional tone colors
- No advertisement!
Enter an English word and see its translation to Chinese along with its Mandarin and Cantonese pronunciation, plus its meaning in English to validate the translation. You can also search for Chinese words!
The Chinese characters are displayed in a large font so that they are easier to read, copy on paper and/or to show them to a native speaker.
You can also quickly toggle between Traditional and Simplified Chinese via the "i" info menu (top right icon).
Unlike other dictionary apps, Eng Hanzi does not require an Internet connection to work (the internet connection is only used to show adverts), so you can use it anywhere, even on a plan/train or when you are abroad and your internet connection is off!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The first time the application starts, it needs to set up its database. This will take a while, but it's only done once... so please be patient! Good things come to those who wait! ;-)
PRO VERSION - NEW LOW PRICE! Brings you homescreen widgets, backup/restore and access to more add-ons
This is the free edition of Hanping Chinese Dictionary Pro which has over 10,000 downloads and comes with a 30-day full refund guarantee: http://goo.gl/KFyks
If you cannot see paid apps (in China?) then read: http://goo.gl/YGonR
If you are looking for our Cantonese app, please see: http://goo.gl/62PHL0
★ Chinese handwriting recognition built in (Android 4.1 JellyBean and higher)
★ Audio - recordings of every Mandarin syllable, by a real native Chinese speaker (Android 4.1 JellyBean and higher)
★ Offline access to all features (unless specified)
★ Search Hanzi / Chinese, Pinyin or English
★ Pinyin or Zhuyin (Bopomofo) pronunciation throughout
★ Vertical Zhuyin support
★ Both Simplified and Traditional Chinese characters supported
★ Coloring by tone - you can color Hanzi, Pinyin or Zhuyin
★ Simple, intuitive and powerful UI
★ Live search - results update as-you-type
★ Progressive results - as you scroll down, progressively deeper searches are seamlessly performed
★ Enter long Chinese text in the search box and get instant Pinyinization as well as automatic vocab list
★ Starred Chinese words/phrases, Word lists (e.g. HSK, idioms/chengyu), Search history
★ Custom search using wildcards
★ Clipboard Monitoring - raise notification when Hanzi copied to clipboard. Please read: http://goo.gl/cmRFJ2
★ Night mode (black background)
★ Voice recognition (online only and only on supported devices)
★ Useful links to websites e.g. YellowBridge, Skritter, nciku, Google Translate (online only)
★ Uses CC-CEDICT dictionary data as the base dictionary
★ Seamless integration with our Hanping Chinese Camera app (for image-based character recognition): http://goo.gl/1clC8H
★ No ads!
Pro features (not available in this app):
★ Homescreen Widgets - flip through your favorite words from your homescreen. Try adding multiple widgets!
★ Multi-dictionary support - the superb ABC Chinese-English and ABC English-Chinese dictionaries (in-app purchases at extra cost)
★ Merged results across dictionaries - no need for cumbersome cycling through dictionaries
★ Star English words (if you have the ABC English-Chinese dictionary installed)
★ Backup / Restore starred words, search history, preferences etc
* For Chinese character input via Pinyin, use Google Pinyin IME: http://goo.gl/WZ3Zop
* If many Chinese characters appear as empty square boxes, or if you would like to use a nicer Chinese font, read this: http://goo.gl/y6ya5r
Please use the forum (see below) to report any bugs or suggestions.
• Completely offline
• Flexible input/search methods
- Pinyin search
- Radical character search
- Attempts to split sentence input into individual words
- Limited wildcard searching using '*' (ZH only and slower than normal searching)
• Multiple display options
- Toggle between simplified/traditional character sets
- Select between light & dark themes
• 3rd party connectivity
- Send words directly to AnkiDroid
- Can share words with Cdian from other apps
• Bookmark search results
• Minimalistic yet functional UI
• Ad free
• Extracted dictionary files require 21MB of external storage space
keywords: chinese dictionary, chinese english dictionary, chinese translator, 英文 词典, 辞典, 英汉 词典
"Remembering Simplified Hanzi"
You can review each lesson's characters, their keywords and associated pinyin.
Studying Traditional Hanzi?
Check out Heisig Helper Traditional!
- Writing and Writing Test
When first started, it will need to download another ~100MB of database. You will need an SD card and Wifi to do this. Please ensure that your phone do not go to sleep while downloading.
You can alternatively download the database via your browser from http://www.eon.com.hk/download.html.
- Download Android v1.7 Database.
- After downloading, unzip it to your top level directory of your SD card in the mobile phone. You should see a directory named, hk.com.eon.eStroke.
This is an evaluation version. If you are happy with the product, you can purchase via paypal on http://www.eon.com.hk/buy.html.
You will need a Chinese Input Keyboard to use eStroke.
o Tap on the animation box to bring up the keyboard.
o Enter a Chinese character to animate.
#TextToSpeech support(run TTS Services Extended for downloading voice data,and set the default engin to eSpeak)
#hide/show tool bar
new updates :
Show the character content in random order
###How to use TTS : http://tinyurl.com/39k46y3
update database files.
iCharacters for iOS released. tell your friend using iOS devices. thanks.
Got stuck in a totally unfamiliar language environment? When you could not manually input to search for results, even the most powerful electronic dictionaries would be just useless! CamDictionary – your personal translator anytime and anywhere!
CamDictionary is a professional instant translator application.
Why choose CamDictionary?
◆◆Because it is professional◆◆
---- Together with the world-famous publisher Collins, now we’re glad to bring multiple Collins dictionaries to you, allowing you to get the most authoritative word explanations.
---- No need to take photos, no need to wait. Focus words in the camera viewfinder, and the translation results will be just there.
【Capture and translate】
---- Get the translation results for full sentences easily and conveniently.
【Translate between 36 Languages】
---- CamDictionary supports translation between 36 languages.
【Built-in local dictionaries】
---- Get results from local dictionaries when no network is available. The application has built-in Chinese-English Dictionary and English-Chinese Dictionary.
---- Listen to pronunciations of translated text by native speakers.
【Vocabulary book, search history , result sharing, and more】
◆◆Because it is unique◆◆
【Recognition and translation of the entire line】
---- Load pictures, and select the entire line for recognition and translation.
【Manually select pictures for recognition and translation】
---- Just select a picture, and CamDictionary will automatically recognize and translate the text on it.
---- CamDictionary can now show Pinyin for Chinese characters. Learn Chinese more easily from now on.
◆◆And also because◆◆
1. CamDictionary is able to recognize up to 16 languages, including Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, Korean, Japanese, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Norwegian, Hungarian and etc.
2. CamDictionary supports up to 18 languages for pronunciation, including English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, German, Russian, Portuguese, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, and Swedish.
The differences of CamDictionary Free version from the full version include:
1. Text-to-Speech is not available in free version.
2. Free version contains advertisements.
3. Free version has the “Trial” mark.
"Remembering Traditional Hanzi"
You can review each lesson's characters, their keywords and associated pinyin.
Studying Simplified Hanzi?
Check out Heisig Helper Simplified!