'This dictionary's virtues and its plain-spokenness make it ... as apt to the bedside table as to the desk: Dr Baldick is a Brewer for specialized tastes' Times Literary Supplement
The best-selling Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (formerly the Concise dictionary) provides clear, concise, and often witty definitions of the most troublesome literary terms from abjection to zeugma. Now available in a new, fully updated and expanded edition, it offers readers increased coverage of new terms from modern critical and theoretical movements, such as feminism, and schools of American poetry, Spanish verse forms, life writing, and crime fiction.
It includes extensive coverage of traditional drama, versification, rhetoric, and literary history, as well as updated and extended advice on recommended further reading and a pronunciation guide to more than 200 terms. New to this fully revised edition are recommended entry-level web links. Boasting over 1,200 entries, it is an essential reference tool for students of literature in any language.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
* Along with each quote there is a discussion which puts the quote in context and comments on any literary techniques that may have been used.
* No internet connection is required to get your new quote for the day and you can also look at entries for previous days.
This app celebrates the creative potential of the English language and can help you discover new literary texts to enjoy.
This app is a searchable database of hundreds of different agents and publishers in the United States and UK.
The app features dozens of genre categories with detailed agent listings. When you find an agent you like, you have the opportunity to save there information to go back to later, email them, or mark it as “queried” so you can keep track of when you sent them emails.
The agents and publishers here were selected because they do not charge reading fees (or are not known to charge reading fees) and are actively seeking clients.
This application brings you breaking news, other top daily news and sports from the Star, and much more. We also have a multimedia section with videos and slide shows. Share your favorite stories with the tap of a button. If you don't see a story you are looking for, try our search.
The app also includes classified ads and traffic alerts.
* Daily coverage from the Star staff
* Breaking news, including game updates
* Pre-game and post-game analysis
* Photo galleries, feature stories, video
* Standings, scoreboards and schedules