Please note that we will be closing the BT SmartTalk service and removing this application in January 2019.
New users should not attempt to download the app or register for this service, as we are starting to withdraw support. Existing users are advised to investigate the alternatives described below, which should provide similar cost savings on mobile phone calls.
BT apologises for any inconvenience the removal of BT SmartTalk may cause.
Why we are withdrawing this service
• Roaming call charges in the EU no longer apply.
• BT Mobile and other providers now offer cost effective call plans with unlimited minutes.
• New technologies largely negate the need for SmartTalk.
What are the alternatives?
• Changes in the law from 15 June 2017 mean that you can use your monthly allowances of calls, data and texts while you’re in 28 locations in the EU at no extra charge.
• BT Mobile and other providers provide cost effective roaming plans and add-ons for countries outside of the EU.
• Other third party voice over mobile and Wi-Fi solutions are available. These services will work for the majority of customers calling someone with the correct app installed.
• We've also recently introduced seamless voice calling over Wi-Fi and 4G for BT Mobile customers. This is available on selected enabled BT Mobile handset plans, many new Android devices and iPhones, 5S and above.
What happens next?
• We will be removing the BT SmartTalk app from the app stores and preventing any new customers signing up to this service in January 2019.
• The service will cease in January 2019 and you will no longer be able to use the SmartTalk app on your mobile device to make calls.
• Any mobile network calls you subsequently make will be assigned to your normal mobile calling allowance and bill.
What you need to do
Other than being aware of the removal of this service and the potential impact to your mobile voice minutes allowance, you do not have to do anything. However, as it will no longer be working, we recommend you delete the SmartTalk app from your device, to avoid any confusion and to free up memory.
You may also wish to consider switching to a BT Mobile handset or SIM only plan and take advantage of our new packages with seamless Wi-Fi and 4G calling functionality.
For more information on the removal of BT SmartTalk, please visit http://bt.com/smarttalk.