Packaged foods can be surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules. Use FoodSwitch for healthy grocery shopping and to make better food choices for you and your family.
Take three simple steps to better health by reducing high levels of fat, salt and sugars in you and your family’s diet.
1. Scan barcodes of packaged foods with your camera and see what’s in the food you’re eating.
2. See similar foods that are healthier based on established nutrition criteria.
3. Share your healthier food choices with your friends via Facebook, Twitter or email.
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices.
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake and is great for people with, or being treated for, high blood pressure.
- GlutenSwitch is great for people with coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance who are looking for gluten-free products.
- FatSwitch has been designed to help people with, or being treated for, high cholesterol EnergySwitch can help people choose foods lower in kilojoules/calories
- SugarSwitch helps people choose healthier foods with less total sugar
You can now also view the nutrition information in two modes:
- Traffic Light Labels – uses colour-coded ratings to tell you if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for four key food components (salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat).
- Health Star Ratings – gives an idea of how healthy a product is overall from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
- Get immediate, easy-to-understand nutritional information from a large, independent, Australian packaged food products database.
- Get a list of similar foods to the item you scanned and switch to healthier choices where available.
- Simple colour-coded ratings for 4 key food components (total fat, saturated fat, sugars and salt).
- Get a list of healthier choices for the food you scan and switch to healthier choices where available.
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised shopping lists.
- Export your lists of healthier choices or share them with friends and family.
Download the app today and find out for yourself why key health organisations like FoodSwitch!
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit http://www.georgeinstitute.org/projects/foodswitch.