CommandWear is a simple-to-use, mobile and wearable software platform that integrates data from smartphones, wearables (smartwatches) and tablets to improve situational awareness for emergency responders who must keep their eyes, ears and hands on the job at all times.
CommandWear is designed to work with a public safety agency’s existing technology (e.g. desktops, laptops, tablets and smart phones) and applications (e.g. dispatch, fleet management). There are three components to the platform.
• The "HUB" is a highly scalable, secure server for tracking and logging all
movement and communication.
• The "Commander" app runs on tablets or desktops and provides
situational awareness in the field or operations center.
• The "Communicator" app (this app) runs on the smartphone of the First
Responder or field worker.
• The "Responder Watch" app runs on smartwatches for convenient and
covert communications plus optional heart rate monitoring and alerting.
The Communicator app provides encrypted text messaging and a local view of the situation for each responder, including:
• An intuitive, simple and secure interface for receiving, acknowledging and
• Maps showing your location and those team members around you;
• Roster showing tracked team members and locating them on maps;
• Picture/video capture, annotation, sharing and auto-plot to maps
(Command have a real-time visual from the front-lines);
• Smartwatch message notifications, acknowledgements and heart rate
monitoring/alerting from the wrist.
The Communicator app works with Apple Watch, Android Wear and Samsung Tizen smartwatches for message notification (with vibration) and acknowledgement to improve communications in noisy conditions, during covert operations or when responders are unable to reach their phones. The heart rate monitoring and alerting feature is currently available only on Android Wear 2.0 compatible watches with an integrated heart rate sensor.
The Communicator app requires purchase of an annual license from CommandWear. In order to subscribe, or inquire about a Pilot (test) license, contact CommandWear at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Tracking uses your phone's GPS while in the background and can be turned on/off in the app or through a central console. GPS update frequency is configurable and depending on the update frequency this can decrease battery life.