In 1969, after Pigeon Forge issued a zoning plan assigning the entire strip along US-441 for tourism use, Art Modell (owner of the Cleveland Browns) purchased Goldrush Junction. In 1976, Modell sold the Junction to the Herschend Brothers of Branson, Missouri. The Herschends renamed the park Silver Dollar City after their successful theme park in Branson. The Ozark mountain theme of the Branson location was easily reapplied as an Appalachian theme in Pigeon Forge, and the park's attendance began to climb.
In 1982, hoping the capitalize on the publicity generated by the Knoxville World's Fair, Pigeon Forge initiated an aggressive economic plan that centered around theme parks, outlet malls, and live music venues. The first outlet mall, Factory Merchants, opened that same year. By 1987, there were four outlet malls in Pigeon Forge, and by the early 1990s, outlet malls provided 44% of the town's gross revenue.
The increasing number of tourist attractions brought competition for Silver Dollar City and its chief competitor in Pigeon Forge, Magic World, which had constructed a theme park on the slopes of Pine Mountain in the city's south section. In 1985, the Herschends approached entertainer Dolly Parton (who was born in nearby Sevierville) with a proposal for a partnership in the promotion and operation of Silver Dollar City. After lengthy negotiations, Parton became a minority partner in the enterprise, and Silver Dollar City was renamed Dollywood to kick off a major marketing campaign. The move proved successful as Dollywood continued expansion into the 21st century. Magic World folded in 1994.
Tags: Pigeon Forge, Knoxville, Ashville, Gatlinburg,tennessee
After your quick download, you can enjoy:
- Interactive, zoomable GPS maps that indicate your current location and the point(s) of interest you’re looking for
- Event listings to keep you informed of all the fun events going on
- Money saving offers on lodging, attractions and more!
- Full color photos so you know what to look for
- Addresses and phone numbers
- Show times
- Ticket information
- And more!
This FREE Visit My Smokies app was created to be your Smoky Mountain vacation planning tool so you can enjoy all the area has to offer! Whether you’re in Sevier County, or planning from home, this App has an easy-to-use interface that will guide you to all the excitement and beauty of the Smokies!
MobileReference guides help you get the most out of your vacation. The guides are available for most destinations worldwide and always include FREE offline GPS maps. Over 3 million MobileReference Travel Guides have been downloaded.
The world’s most popular electronic guides developed for your smartphone have the following features:
✔ GPS map loads to your smartphone memory - no network access needed once the app is downloaded.
✔ GPS map displays your location along with nearby sights and attractions.
✔ MobileReference guides use vector-based maps so they load quickly and are easy to zoom and scroll.
✔ Unlike other travel guides, GPS coordinates for attractions have been verified by users on the ground.
✔ Attraction articles can be accessed from both an alphabetical and a categorical index.
✔ Articles include tips on what to do and see in your destination.
✔ Articles can be added to a list of favorites.
✔ The top restaurants have been individually selected by MobileReference editors. These restaurants are marked by a star in the EAT chapter and are plotted on the GPS map.
✔ No ads
✔ No roaming charges
MobileReference Travel Guides provide detailed, practical information about attractions, landmarks, transportation, cultural venues, dining, lodging, history and much more. They are indexed alphabetically and by category, making it easier to access individual articles. Attractions can be viewed on an offline GPS map along with your current location so that you can easily find attractions near you as you explore the city.
This fully-functional guide is absolutely free. The full version (only $4.99) expands articles with more information about attractions, history, geography and more.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Essentials: Buy, Eat & Drink | Sleep | Stay Safe
1. General: History | Climate
2. Maps: Great Smoky Mountains | Great Smoky Mountains National Park | Appalachian Trail | Blue Ridge | North Carolina
3. Transport: Get in | Get around
4. Landmarks: See & Do | Hiking Trails | Mountains | Rivers | Historic districts
5. Near by: Attractions | Get Out | Cities: Asheville | Chattanooga | Cherokee | Gatlinburg | Knoxville | Pigeon Forge | Sevierville
-MobileReference®. Free maps for worldwide destinations™.
Take a tour of historic downtown Sevierville, snap a photo with Dolly’s bronze statue on the courthouse lawn and discover amazing deals at Sevierville’s outlet stores. Then travel to hidden spots for authentic southern cuisine in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. The Visit Sevierville app will open up a whole new world of fun for your vacation and highlights major attractions in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg as well.
Like a guide book in your Android-based device, the Visit Sevierville app highlights 150 points of interest, uses GPS enabled coordinates to show your proximity to shopping, attractions, lodging, restaurants and events and provides great coupons and deals right on your phone. You’ll also see great photos and videos to help you learn even more about all Sevierville has to offer.
As you embark on your self-paced tour, you will enjoy the following features:
- Interactive, zoomable GPS maps that indicate your current location and all the included points of interest on the tour (must have connectivity for maps).
- Full color, professional tour videos and audio/image slideshow files that share the history, culture, stories and behind-the-scenes information about what you are seeing.
- Pause, Play, Fast Forward and Rewind through any tour segments easily.
- Multiple tour media access points: find desired tour stops from the map or a full tour stop list.
- Location-based tour stop triggering: as you explore, a dynamic list of the tour stops nearest your location will continue to refresh.
- Tour Stop images will help you orient yourself to your surroundings and find points of interest quickly.
- Additional embedded information such as phone numbers, websites, photos, routing to address and text information deliver all the information you need for each tour stop.
- Event and Deal listings to keep you informed of all the fun events on the horizon and money-saving offers in the area.
The Visit Sevierville app has an easy to use interface that enables you to quickly download the application and start enjoying Sevierville within minutes! After you’ve downloaded the application, you may choose to stream or download the tour. The streaming tour format saves hard drive space on your device and avoids the time associated with large downloads. However, a downloaded tour can be enjoyed without Wi-Fi or 3G connectivity.
Download the Visit Sevierville app now and start enjoying all the history, shopping and fun in Dolly Parton’s hometown, Sevierville, Tennessee.
Guests of Aunt Bug’s Cabin Rentals will receive an invitation to download the app before their arrival. This app contains all the information each guest needs to know before, during, and after their stay. From arrival tips, directions to the property, property tips, and area information, to restaurant, event, and activity recommendations – this app has everything you need to spend more of your vacation having fun! Likewise, all of the restaurant, event, and activity recommendations may be viewed on a map to locate the closest to you at any time. Aunt Bug’s Cabin Rentals has combed through all of the area restaurants, events, and activities, and hand selected only the best to recommend to you. Now, you can vacation like a local!
You don’t have to be a guest of Aunt Bug’s Cabin Rentals to get this customized experience. Simply download the app and use it as a visitor. You still have access to all the area restaurant, event, and activity recommendations. While you are here, check out all of the great rental properties Aunt Bug’s Cabin Rentals has to offer. This app contains all the property information you need to book your next vacation in paradise. Each property listing contains detailed information and photos. In case you want to check out the properties before booking, the app allows you to view the properties in a map view.
This app is powered by Glad To Have You.