A real time bus tracker for LRT Lothian buses and trams written by Andrew de Quincey and Colin Paton, using data from the CEC My Bus Tracker website. Please visit http://code.google.com/p/redbus/ for more information.
* If something isn't working right and you have the time to spare, could you please send an email as well as commenting. It greatly speeds up fixing things if we can ask for more detail on the problem than Market comments allow (although we do appreciate those too).
* If the app "goes missing" after a recent update, I'm informed that uninstalling+reinstalling it using "Settings>Applications>Manage Applications" should restore it.
* If you have a homescreen icon on an HTC Sense phone, the picture will not be updated until you reboot. However, it should function just as before without a reboot. We can't do anything about this issue as it appears to be an HTC bug.
* We are unable to use the new pre-caching or vector maps support as seen in the most recent Google Maps versions. These features are only available internally within the Google Maps application itself, and Google have made no way to use them from an external application. Therefore, we are stuck with the basic bitmap-based maps with no pre-caching until Google decide to support this. If they ever do, we would definitely want to use it.
Download the latest version of the official Edinburgh bus tracking application for Android. This application will let you view live bus departures for Lothian Buses services and estimated departures for trams in Edinburgh, Scotland.
My Bus Edinburgh has the following features;
* View the next departures for each bus service at each stop serviced by Lothian Buses and estimated times for Edinburgh Trams.
* Keep a list of your favourite bus stops to easily revisit them later.
* Ability to manually enter a bus stop code found at all bus stops to show live times for that stop, or alternatively scan the QR code at the bus stop.
* Fully integrated vector Google Maps which can show your location as well as nearby bus stops and coloured bus routes.
* The map is fully searchable so you can search for places and bus stop names. Includes voice search from Google.
* Get the latest traffic and journey news in the News and Updates section.
* Favourite bus stops can be saved to the home screen on your device for opening easily later.
* Nearest bus stops listing.
* Google Street View linking.
* Integration with Google Backup.
* Italian localisation.
* EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE: add proximity alerts to alert you when you are near a selected bus stop,
* EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE: add bus time alerts to alert you when a selected bus service is near a selected bus stop.
* And more...
* The features you are able to use is dependent on what version of Android is installed on your device. Experimental features are not guaranteed to work correctly - use with caution.
A very big thank you to Anthony Totton for supplying the artwork. A big thank you to Matteo Doni for supplying Italian localisation and thank you to Ross McClymont for helping with beta testing.
This application is officially endorsed by The City of Edinburgh Council and Lothian Buses.
Follow My Bus Edinburgh on Twitter for the latest updates: http://twitter.com/MyBusEdinburgh
Explanation of permissions;
- Network based and GPS locations: used in the bus stop map and nearest bus stops listing to find your location.
- Internet access: used to load bus times, update the bus stop database and load news.
- Access network state: to intelligently use the network only when it is available.
- SD card: backups of favourites are stored here.
- Use Google Services: required to use Google Maps.
- Vibrate: used for alerts.
Disclaimer: this application does not support any other operator in Edinburgh than Lothian Buses (because it is not technically possible). The data comes straight from the My Bus Tracker service, operated by The City of Edinburgh Council. While The City of Edinburgh Council and Lothian Buses endorse this app, they do not take any responsibility for it.
All data given by the application is a computational estimation and as such, should be treated as a guide only.
Keywords: edinburgh, bus, tracker, official, lothian, buses, tram, trams
There’s no need to search for the exact fare again. Instead, you can buy and load your phone with Lothian Buses and Edinburgh Trams m-tickets. Your m-tickets can then be activated and used as you need them. The app also uses real-time information and can send push notifications so you’ll always know when your bus is due.
• Your ticket straight to your mobile.
Buy tickets with the Transport for Edinburgh app and turn your phone into your ticket. Purchase tickets at a time convenient for you, then just activate one and show your phone to the driver when you get on the bus, or validate at the tram stop. Tickets are easy to buy and can be used straight away or saved for future trips.
• Never miss the bus again.
Fast, responsive maps show you all stops near you along with departure boards for Lothian Buses and Edinburgh Trams – we’ll even send you a message when you’re approaching an unfamiliar stop.
• Easily get from A to B.
If you’re looking for a fast, easy way to get around Edinburgh and the Lothians, the app can give you up to five quick, convenient ways to get there using Lothian Buses and Edinburgh Trams. You can then follow the directions on a large, clear map. Even better: we’ll send an alert to your phone when you’re close to your final stop.
• Your app, the way you want it.
The app changes depending on where you are and how you use it. You can add your favourite stops and services, and save places for use later on. Plus, the great ‘Take Me Home’ button gives you live directions for getting home, day or night. We’ll can even send you messages if your favourite services are disrupted.
If you'd like to make a suggestion on features you'd like to see in the Transport for Edinburgh app, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Please note the app requires data access and works best with GPS on. Please be aware that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Make bus travel even easier with our official First Bus App.
Our brand new App helps you plan your journeys, providing ‘next bus’ times for all bus services throughout Great Britain, including real time info where available. Alongside information about First Bus services, features include; route maps showing the location of bus stops, timetables, details of our tickets and fares and service updates.
You can even save your favourite stops so you can check times at a glance. So install it now for free, and get on board with First.
Our features in full:
• Search by service number or destination in 'Travel Info' and find live or scheduled bus times for over 300,000 bus stops across Great Britain in 'Next Bus' (see notes)
• Set 'Stop Alerts' so you know when you are approaching your stop
• Look up route maps for all bus services in Great Britain (see notes)
• The ability to save your favourite bus stop so you can quickly check the time of your next bus
• Create a personal timetable to suit your journey by departure and arrival times, route, direction of travel, day of the week and even the time of day between two locations on any First Bus route
• Up to date news and information about First Bus services
• Details of ticket types and fares available on First Bus networks
• Contact details for First customer services with links to Twitter and Facebook sites where available
Next Bus and Route Maps features use data supplied by Traveline. We always try to provide as accurate and detailed route and service information as we possibly can but sometimes this can be affected by the data available to us. If you notice anything missing, or would like to suggest an improvement, please let us know using the link; https://response.questback.com/firstgroupplc/cp0mrjktee/
To see a full list of the areas where live real time, next bus information is available please visit; http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/assets/pdfs/app/realtime.pdf
The red line representing the route between bus stops is generated automatically and may occasionally deviate from the actual route taken. As routing technology improves we’ll provide updates.
Before reporting errors we would recommend you uninstall and reinstall the App. As with most general IT problems, turning it ‘on and off again’ can cure most general issues. If this doesn’t work, please contact us; we’ll be happy to help.
To report an issue with your app, please visit; https://response.questback.com/firstgroupplc/cp0mrjktee/