Parents and healthcare professionals need to know whether their child/paediatric patient is overweight so that they can address the issue as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the measurement of weight alone is not at all helpful for parents/ healthcare professionals in terms of working out whether their child is at the correct weight. This is because height is also required but while in adults the BMI can be calculated relatively easily, in children the BMI SDS (Standard Deviation Score) must be calculated as children are still growing and adults are not. Calculating or understanding the BMI SDS is not that straightforward. The Measure Me app has been developed to calculate the BMI SDS and to identify if the child is a healthy weight or overweight.
To calculate the BMI, complete the following steps:
1) Enter the child’s name
2) Click on the word height and choose whether you wish to use Feet and Inches or centimetres. Scroll to enter the height of the child. You can click on the words “How to measure height” for some additional advice about how to get the height of your child.
3) Click on the word weight and choose whether you wish to use Kilograms or Stones and pounds. Scroll to enter the weight of the child.
4) Select the gender of the child.
5) Enter the child’s date of birth.
6) Click on calculate.
You will be provided with the child’s BMI result which is based on the information you have entered (you will be reminded of these details) and you will be given advice based on the result *.
There are three icons along the bottom of the screen, home, history and info.
• The home button will bring you back to the entry screen where you can press the word clear to begin again.
• The history page shows the previous entries in date order. When you access the history page for the first time you will be asked to create a 6 digit passcode. You will need to enter this passcode each time you wish to access this page.
• The info page provides details of those involved in the development and sponsorship of this app. This page features a share button which will allow you to share the app via text, email or on social media platforms. It also includes a rate button where you can rate the app.
For any technical queries in relation to this app please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Any patient or medical information queries should be discussed with your healthcare professional.
The Measure Me app has been developed by Temple Street Childrens hospital and University College Dublin. It has been unconditionally supported by Consilient Health.
*The BMI SDS is calculated using the Boys and Girls BMI Charts designed and published by the Child Growth Foundation and Supplied by Harlow Printing Ltd.