The Pelvic Floor First app is designed for people at risk of or experiencing pelvic floor dysfunction, who want to get back into exercise or keep exercising. Many standard exercises can place increased pressure on the pelvic floor muscle, leading to stress incontinence during exercise, or increasing the risk of incontinence.
Pelvic Floor First aims to encourage exercises that put less pressure on the pelvic floor, to reduce the risk of bladder and bowel problems.
- Create customised workouts
- Listen to the music on your phone during workouts
- explanatory videos and step-by-step instructions for exercises
- Save your favourites
- Links and further information
- Share the app
Common signs that can indicate a pelvic floor problem include:
• leaking urine when you exercise, laugh, cough or sneeze
• needing to hurry to the toilet or not making it there in time
• constantly needing to go to the toilet
• finding it difficult to empty your bladder or bowel
• accidentally losing control of your bladder or bowel
• a prolapse
• pain in your pelvic area
• painful sex
Incontinence can be prevented, cured or better managed by following the right advice. Anyone experiencing any of the above symptoms should seek advice from a health professional or call the National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66 to speak with a continence nurse adviser. The Continence Foundation recommends people embarking on an exercise program should first consult with a health professional.
The Continence Foundation of Australia is the national peak body for continence awareness, management, education, research and advocacy in Australia.
For more information visit pelvicfloorfirst.org.au or continence.org.au.
Please ensure you allow the app data access as videos will be downloaded when you first watch them.
There are currently issues on some newer phones and versions of Android. For now, we suggest that in these cases you use our webapp found on app.pelvicfloorfirst.org.au. You can add our WebApp to your homescreen like a normal app - see http://www.pelvicfloorfirst.org.au/pages/pelvic-floor-first-app.html for instructions. We trust this is helpful and you will be able to enjoy your workouts.