Brand new test that determines gym users Aerobic Fitness Levels
Following the release of the most reliable and easy to use aerobic fitness test - The Multistage Fitness Test (also known as the 'bleep test') – sports coach UK now bring you a new fitness test using an indoor rowing machine.
Developed by sports coach UK, the lead agency for coaching in the UK, the Rowing Fitness Test app is designed to give gym users and personal trainers a quick and easy measure of aerobic fitness.
Rowing has become a very popular form of physical activity, as well as a competitive sport. Rowing ergometers can be seen in most gymnasia and provide a whole body workout requiring the ability to sustain a high aerobic capacity. An incremental maximal oxygen uptake test (VO2max test) provides the best indicator of an individual’s aerobic fitness. VO2max has also been found to be a very strong predictor of 2000-metre rowing performance.
This test works when a person incrementally increases their stroke rate until the desired stroke rate cannot be maintained. The stroke rate is controlled by a series of bleeps. These bleeps start slow, but get progressively faster. The rower stops when they cannot maintain the desired stroke rate, and the time at which they stop provides a good indicator of their maximal oxygen uptake (20-50ml/kg/min).
The Rowing Fitness Test app includes written instructions and a video demonstration of how to use the app, and a table explaining the results. All you need is to perform the test on a rowing ergometer (ideally Concept 2) and a set of headphones.
Full instructions of how to use the app
Health and Safety information
Multiple profiles for Male and Females
Supporting information about VO2 max
Graphical display of past results
Links to Facebook and Twitter
The world's best app for tracking rowing workouts.
Simply log your time and distance and watch your stats improve!
Designed with Concept 2 rowers specifically in mind, but perfect any rower that reports time and distance in meters,
Cloud sync & other features coming soon. Feature requests and feedback are welcome - email email@example.com
ErgData is a free application designed to run on newer Android devices. It requires a USB cable and a USB OTG adapter to connect the Android device to a Concept2 Indoor Rower. Not all Android devices support USB connection to a PM3 or PM4, so please check the compatibility list below or test your device before purchasing cables or a cradle for your device. Once connected, it provides additional rowing statistics, stores and displays your workout results, and uploads your workouts to the Concept2 Online Logbook. It also offers the enhanced visibility of a backlit display.
■ Displays your rowing data in real time.
■ Offers a choice of two screens:
1. Screen similar to your Performance Monitor (showing choice of watts, calories or current pace) plus two additional pieces of data from the list below.
2. Screen showing:
■ Logs all your rowing workouts, including intervals, splits and heart rate information.
■ Uploads workouts directly to the Concept2 Online Logbook.
■ Displays your workout information on a color, backlit screen, so you can see your rowing information in a darkened room.
■ Displays weight-adjusted scores.
■ Allows you to view different units on your monitor and device (for example, you can display watts on the device while viewing average pace on the monitor).
■ Concept2 Indoor Rower (any model) with a PM3 or PM4 monitor:
PM3—firmware version 315 or 108 or later is required for all functions
PM4—firmware version 318 or 29 or later is required for all functions
■ Android Concept2 cable (available from Concept2), part number 2781 for $10.00.
Includes an interface cable as well as a cradle to hold your Android smartphone
USB Cable and a USB OTG (On-The-Go) Adapter (available from Amazon, Monoprice and other online vendors).
■ For smartphones, Concept2 recommends part number 1093 Smartphone Cradle for $5.00
■ A compatible Android device with a firmware version that supports USB Host mode. To test compatibility, use the “USB Host Diagnostics” app available free from the Google Play Store. If the USB Host Diagnostics pass all tests, then ErgData for Android will work.
The following versions support USB Host mode:
Android 3.2 Honeycomb API Level 12 or higher should work but no testing has been done by Concept2. Use the USB Host diagnostics to check.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
Please note that Concept2 cannot guarantee compatibility with any particular device. Manufacturers frequently make changes that may disable ErgData, or you may have an earlier version than we tested. Some devices may require additional steps or special hardware to make it work, and some will never work.
Refer to the following table for some common Android devices and our current test results.
Droid Razr M Yes
Google Nexus 7 (2012 version) Yes
Google Nexus 7 (2013 version) No
Google Nexus/Verizon Yes
HTC DNA Yes
HTC One (Android 4.2.2) Yes
Samsung Galaxy 4 Yes
Sony Xperia GO 4.1 Yes
Coby MID 4331-4 No
Google Nexus 4 No
HTC Droid Incredible No
Samsung Fascinate No
Note: ErgData will not function properly if a LogCard is in the monitor. Remove any LogCard before using ErgData.
Please visit www.concept2.com for ErgData FAQs and How to Use information.
- Indoor Rower/Erg
- On-the-water rowing (with or without GPS)
- Concept2 Dynamic erg
- Concept2 Erg w/Slides
- Concept2 SkiErg
- Cross-country skiing. (with or without GPS)
You can also set targets to track your workout progress.
Also includes a great rowing and fitness calculator with the following functions:
- Average Split
- Watts <-> Pace
- Stroke Power Index (SPI)
- Distance Per Strike (DPS)
- Target Pace
- Rugby Test
- 2K Time <-> Watts
- VO2 Max
- Paul's Law Estimated Time and Pace
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
We've now added Nonathlon (www.nonathlon.com) integration into the app! You can update your scores directly from the workout view, or update multiple scores from the detail view on the Nonathlon tab!
Report any problems to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll respond as quickly as possible!
Are you a novice rower looking for some great drills to improve your rowing or a coach or coxswain that would like their crew to see how to perform a drill? Maybe you are new to the sport and want to get ahead of the curve. You will find this app to be one of the most useful you will ever own. Each drill is animated for the purpose of making it a drill easy to learn by watching how it is done. Can be used for both sweep and sculling. Easy to use interface.
Spread & Span
Oar lenght & Load
and use C.L.A.M.
Erg Tracker displays and graphs workout information from your Concept 2 Online Logbook.
The main screen shows an overview of your training to date. From there you can graph your meters rowed by week.
Other screens allow you to graphically see your improvement over time and to plan your next workout by reviewing your personal best and previous two results for a given time or distance.
You can visualize your progress by graphing your results for a given set-distance or fixed-timed workout over time.
- Display stroke rate, stroke count, distance, speed, time, elapsed time, calories, heart rate, etc.
- Built-in graphs
- Logbook to store all your workouts
- Programmable workouts with simple graphical wizard
- Ergout game for Concept2
- Stroke analysis for rowing
- Customizable user interface
- Supports sweeps, sculls, kayaks, dragon boats, Concept2 ergometers
BoatCoach saves you from spending hundreds of dollars on a dedicated stroke meter and provides features not found elsewhere. BoatCoach uses your phone’s built-in sensors so no wires required!
Questions, comments, suggestions, issues... please see www.boatcoachapp.com/blog
[If your phone has Android OS version less than 4.1, see instructions at www.boatcoachapp.com/instructions.php.]
- Stroke rate / count
- Speed average
- Speed for the last 10 strokes
- Elapsed time
- Calories / Watts
- Heart rate
ADDITIONAL ERG MEASUREMENTS
- Drive length / speed
- Drag factor
- Stroke sensor
- GPS strength
- Ergometer connection
- Use 8 predefined programs including pyramids, tabata, 3 x 2000M, 10x500M, etc.
- Create unlimited programs using simple graphical wizard
- Program time, distance, effort, target stroke rate
- Use programs for both rowing and erging
- Store all your rowing and erg workouts in a single logbook
- Edit and email workout details
- View graphs of prior workouts
- Upload workouts to Concept2 website
- Plot speed, stroke rate, and heart rate vs. distance and time
- Adjust y-axis max/min to optimize display area
- Pinch & zoom to view in more detail
- Automatically store graphs in logbook for later viewing
- Collect and email CSV data while rowing and erging. Speed, distance, heart rate, stroke rate, etc. Graph in spreadsheets like Excel.
- Collect and email GPX information while rowing. Map your workout in Endomondo, Garmin Connect, and other applications.
- Hands-free autostart pieces
- Manually start / stop / clear /pause / resume pieces
- App can speak start/stop/speed/time/distance/etc [useful for blind rowers]
- 4 customizable screen layouts. Choose the data you want to see.
- View distance in meters, kilometers, feet, miles
- View speed in m/s, km/hr, ft/s, miles/hr, min/500m, min/1000m, min/mile
- Enter your nickname, club, boat, weight
- Optimize stroke sensor sensitivity
- Play the popular Ergout arcade game while working out on the ergometer
- Multiple skill levels
- View acceleration vs. time graph for your boat
- Email graphs to yourself
- Help optimize your stroke
HEART RATE SENSOR
- Check and record your heart rate
- Requires Zephyr heart rate monitor
- Save $5 when you order your Zephyr HxM Android heart rate monitor at www.ZephyrAnywhereStore.com and use promotion code "BoatCoach1"
- Programs, graphs, and data capture require paid upgrade for full functionality.
CONCEPT2 USERS – IMPORTANT
- Erg must have PM3 or PM4 monitor with *latest* firmware
- USB cable required to attach phone to monitor. Order from Concept2 or Amazon
- Phone must pass USB Host Mode compatibility tests. Use the “USB Host Diagnostics” app available free from the Google Play Store. If the USB Host Diagnostics pass all tests, then BoatCoach will work.
- App will not function properly if a LogCard is in the monitor. Remove any LogCard first.
You can calculate your Distance, Time, Average Split, Weight Adjusted Scores, and Predictions using Paul’s Law. You can also view World Records and compare yourself against the best.
Weight adjustment uses the following formula from Concept 2:
Wf = [body weight in lbs / 270] raised to the power .222
Corrected time = Wf x actual time (seconds)
Corrected distance = actual distance / Wf
Paul's Law says that for a rowing athlete with balanced speed and endurance capabilities, for every doubling of distance the 500m split should increase by five seconds.
The Rowing in Motion App will give you highly accurate realtime speed, acceleration and stroke-rate data directly on your smartphone or tablet and makes it available for upload to the Rowing in Motion Analytics online service.
You need a valid subscription to Rowing in Motion Analytics to use this App (free subscription tier available).
* Measures Strokerate, Speed, Distance and Boat Acceleration, giving you insight into all aspects of your stroke
* Full Screen Graph Screen: Showing your boat acceleration compared to an average of the previous strokes
* Record all your exercise data and analyze it in Rowing in Motion Analytics, our web-based data analysis tool
* Stroke Analysis: Live average acceleration graphs, speed graph
* Sonification: Turn your boat acceleration into a sound for a better realtime feedback to help you improve the effectiveness of your stroke.
* Stroke Metrics: Stroke Metrics derived from boat acceleration allow you to easily focus on specific aspects of the stroke
* Stroke rate
* Elapsed time
* Split time
+ auto/manual start/stop
+ accumulated/reset values
+ aggregated values:
- avg speed
- avg stroke rate
- stroke count
* Real-time analysis Graphs
* Session recording/replay
* real-time remote monitoring (experimental)
Please submit bug reports on http://nargila.org/trac/robostroke/newticket
Time / Distance / pace calculator
Paul's Law - Calculates rowing average 500m split times based on Paul's Law. Paul's Law states that for balanced athletes, that for each doubling of distance, the 500m split should increase by 5 seconds.
VO₂ Max Calculator.
Paul's Law - calculations for these distances and times:
1609m (1 mile)
Feedback is HIGHLY appreciated, especially bug reports and improvement ideas.
Copyright Tim Rochford, 2012.
More from developer
Second Cup outlets are not as ubiquitous as some of the other well known places, but this app makes getting a great cup of coffee a lot easier!
This app users your GPS location to find all locations within a 20km radius of you. Want to search in a different location? No problem, just pan the map to your new search location and tap the Refresh button.
Watch for more features coming soon!
This app is in no way affiliated with Second Cup or any of its franchisees.