A beautiful picture card game designed to teach some basic Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese) vocabulary to children aged 18 months and above. Traditional (繁體) and Simplified (简体) Chinese options are available for display text, alongside English. Word pronunciations are fully recorded in both Chinese dialects and English.
Optimized for tablets and phones.
Like you, we want our daughter to learn another language at a young age. We know that children can pick up languages much more easily than adults. So we wrote this app for our daughter Esther (that's her in the icon).
Compared to other apps that focus on teaching little ones Chinese, we think the following features distinguish PickPix Chinese:
* We have a picture card mode where the child can look at cards and listen to new words, as well as a fun game mode where the child can apply her new vocabulary.
* We don't use pinyin. To use pinyin effectively, the child must learn a whole new way of reading and fight against the tendency to apply English phonetics to the letters. This can get in the way of acquiring proper pronunciation. We learn languages best through the ear, not the eye.
* We cover both Mandarin and Cantonese with pronunciation by native speakers. These are likely the most popular dialects.
* We emphasize everyday words as well as words specific to Chinese culture, and where possible, we try to use colloquial (rather than literary) terms.
* We use beautiful, professional pictures (not stock) to engage the child's interest.
* We plan to update the app constantly as our daughter learns more words. The app will grow as she grows.
* To accommodate children of different skill levels, you can change the settings as to whether English explanations are given.
* For older children interested in the beauty of the written Chinese language, we provide both traditional and simplified characters.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding our app, please email us at ken[at]crimsonhammer.com.
Thank you for your interest in our app! And please check out our other apps for young children, including PickPix Tot, designed to teach everyday English words to toddlers, and PickPix ABC, designed to supplement PickPix Tot and introduce the alphabet to toddlers and preschoolers as a first step toward phonics learning.
Ken and Lisa
PickPix Chinese is created by Ken Liu and Lisa Tang Liu. Ken Liu was born in China and received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Harvard University. Lisa Tang Liu was born in Singapore, spent her childhood in Hong Kong, and received her undergraduate degrees from Wellesley College in Chinese Studies and Japanese Studies.