A cross-figure puzzles (cross number puzzle or figure logic) is a math puzzle game similar to a crossword in structure, but with entries which consist of numbers rather than words, with individual digits being entered in the blank cells.
The numbers of a cross-number math games puzzle can be clued in various ways:
- The clue can make it possible to find the number required directly, by using general knowledge (e.g. "Date of the Battle of Hastings") or arithmetic (e.g. "27 times 79") or other mathematical facts (e.g. "Seventh prime number")
- The clue may require arithmetic to be applied to another answer or answers (e.g. "25 across times 3" or "9 down minus 3 across")
- The clue may indicate possible answers but make it impossible to give the correct one without using cross-lights (e.g. "A prime number")
- One answer may be related to another in a non-determinate way (e.g. "A multiple of 24 down" or "5 across with its digits rearranged")
- Some entries may either not be clued at all, or refer to another clue (e.g. 7 down may be clued as "See 13 down" if 13 down reads "7 down plus 5")
- Entries may be grouped together for clueing purposes, e.g. "1 across, 12 across and 17 across together contain all the digits except 0"
- Some cross-figures use an algebraic type of clue, with various letters taking unknown values (e.g. "A - 2B, where neither A nor B is known in advance)
Another special type of puzzle uses a real-world situation such as a family outing and base most clues on this (e.g. "Time taken to travel from Ayville to Beetown")
In this version of the math crossword puzzles, the numbers can also start with "0".
For every math crossword puzzles, the solution is available.
This Math game application contains more that 100 free crossnumbers puzzle (with solution) to play.