Learn History in a new way with Excavate! Egypt, an immersive social studies game for middle school students! Use Archaeological thinking to apply C3 skills of Inquiry and Evaluation of Evidence to aspects of Egyptian daily life not covered in textbooks. By excavating and analyzing four significant locations, players will:
· Explore the significance of mummification in the Valley of the Kings
· Gain a new perspective on the temple at Karnak
· Distinguish the roles of men, women, and children in ancient Egypt
· Piece together daily life of the Pyramid workers in Giza
· Describe the lifestyle and role of scribes and students at the library in Alexandria
· Explain the rule and symbols of the Pharaohs
Players can explore the sites in any order; progress is recorded in journals that log collected artifacts, field notes and achievements. Throughout the game, players use C3 skills to analyze and make connections. They carefully deduct the facts about each area, stratum by stratum and artifact by artifact. At each location, players make meaning of how artifacts were used through a series of analysis questions and reports that require players to make connections, read closely and consider the historical context of the primary source artifacts. Finally, players see each site come alive as artifacts populate an historically accurate image of Egyptian life.
• Engage with objects of daily life textbooks never include
• Use archaeological thinking to piece together historical understanding
• See artifacts in context in the ancient world
• Design input from Social Studies teachers
• Historically Accurate, C3 Skills-Based learning
• Free Teacher Guides, Lesson Plans, and Extension Activities
• Track Student Progress
• Bundle with other Excavate! games for a complete curriculum solution
Excavate! Mesopotamia is one of a series of civilizations available on the Google Play store. Check out our Rome, Greece, MesoAmerica, Byzantine and Mesopotamia apps.
Built in consultation with social studies teachers, Excavate! uses overarching questions to focus student inquiry as they dig, analyze, report and learn through object-based evaluation. Highly detailed, historically accurate illustrations and artifacts help students make connections and see the “big picture” of ancient history. Interaction with artifacts, including detailed 3D models, allows students to understand what life was really like for people of different social roles. Extensive in-game resources such as comprehensive location and artifact information and an interactive glossary make it easy to extend the learning off the screen. Supporting educator materials, standards information and extension activities help educators seamlessly include Excavate! in any ancient history curriculum. Track student performance using the new GBLxAPI learning data format, which reports student progress against C3 and ELA standards in an easy to read format. Excavate! is a multi-game series that includes old and new world civilizations such as Mesopotamia, Egypt, Maya, Inca and more. Game bundles and bulk discounts are available.