Want to quit smoking but nothing seems to work? Want to beat your addiction without breaking a sweat? Try Smokitten!
Smokitten is the first video game, created in partnership with tobacco cessation specialists, to help smokers kiss smoking goodbye!
- Unlock absorbing and/or relaxing mini-games that will replace your fag breaks.
- Receive personalised support messages from your friends when you feel like you’re going to give in to temptation.
- Track your progress over time (number of cigarettes unsmoked, money saved…) and personalise your island with all sorts of plants and trees to make it greener, just like your health.
- Take care of a virtual pet kitten who will require a lot of love and attention.
- Receive motivating pop-up messages about the positive effects that quitting has on your health, the environment, and the tobacco industry.
- After 222 days without smoking cigarettes, you’ll be tobacco-free, and you’ll learn the secret behind your kitten’s island.
You’ve probably already tried one of these methods to help you quit: e-cigarettes, nicotine replacements (patch, gum, lozenges, inhaler), medicine, alternative methods (hypnosis, acupuncture)… But none of them really worked for you? Why not try out a mobile game that was designed to help people let go of their tobacco addiction? ;-)
Smokitten is a serious game which aims to help smokers quit smoking. It also works for vapers and people who smoke cannabis, cigarillos, cigars, pipes… Educational aims aside, Smokitten is first and foremost a video game; that is, an engaging tool that you’ll have fun playing and will enjoy coming back to time and again. Smokitten is part of Games for Change, which are serious video games that promote social change.
What’s the idea behind the game?
In Smokitten, you’re responsible for a virtual pet: a smoker kitten who wants to quit smoking for good! To help your kitten, you’ll need to keep it occupied with the various activities on the island (running, yoga, fishing…). By playing the mini-games that will keep you busy and replace your cigarette breaks, you’ll earn virtual money to buy plants, trees, and all kinds of other objects to personalise your island to make it prettier and greener.
Smokitten helps you fight your nicotine cravings, track your progress and get support from the community by sharing your doubts and your victories! You’ll be able to connect with the other players through the app. Your children, friends, family, and colleagues can send you personalised messages in order to help support you when you feel like you’re going to give in. Tobacco use often starts for social reasons, so we think it’s important to use the same weapons to help with quitting!
If you stay strong for 222 days without smoking with Smokitten, you’ll discover the island’s mysterious secret…
A game developed in partnership with experts and a whole community
To carry out this project, we worked with the Centre Hygée (Centre for the prevention of cancer in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region) and the CIPRET Valais (an organisation specialising in addiction prevention). We are also supported by a community of over 400 people, mostly women smokers, who helped us raise over €25,000 euros through our Ulule crowdfunding campaign. Our community helps us improve the game by providing feedback on a regular basis.