~~ NO GAME ASSETS ARE INCLUDED - THIS IS AN ENGINE PORT ONLY ~~
Due to copyright/EULA restrictions no game assets are included; they will need to be downloaded separately.
THE APP CAN DOWNLOAD & UNPACK FREEDOOM PHASES 1 AND 2 SEPARATELY FOR YOU
THE FREEDOOM WADS DO NOT CONSTITUTE PART OF THIS APPLICATION AS THIS IS AN ENGINE PORT ONLY
You will be offered the option to download freedoom (https://freedoom.github.io/) at first start-up. If you already own the full version of Doom or Doom 2, you can copy the WAD files to your phone to play.
YOU CANNOT USE THIS APP WITHOUT THE FOLLOWING:
* A control pad (buttons are re-mappable in the game)
* Cardboard or equivalent with head-straps to play in VR-mode (as you need hands to hold game-pad)
The fun stuff:
This cardboard port of the Doom engine features the following:
* Based on the PrBoom engine Android port wrapped in the Cardboard SDK
* Configurable resolution (for lower spec phones) - If you find your phone is struggling to draw at an acceptable frame-rate, you can edit the DVR.cfg file (found in the DVR folder on your phone) and reduce the resolution
* Supports WADS that are compatible with PrBoom/Boom/MBF
* Command line params using a text file - there is a text file in the DVR directory called extraparams.txt insert any command line params you may wish to use (for example: -nosound)
- The Doom 2 WAD that can be found in the Doom 3: BFG edition doesn't work with this port. The original Doom 2 WAD works fine
- This port doesn't use an opengl renderer, but uses (an improved version of) the original Doom engine 100% software renderer. Because of this, it is quite CPU intensive so you may find you need to reduce the resolution a bit if you experience performance problems unless you have a high-end phone.
- The original engine code only allows you to look left and right, not up and down, I have worked around this to some extent by shifting the view up/down when you look up and down, but it isn't as natural. Unfortunately this is unavoidable without an opengl es 2.0 renderer.
- FOV: Again because of the use of the original Doom software renderer FOV cannot be changed. On some phones it will mean it is a bit like looking through a large window at the game, I am afraid this is unavoidable without an opengl es 2.0 renderer which could take me months to write.
- Only certain WADs have thumbnails, if you would like a wad to have a thumbnail added in the WAD chooser screen, then please let me know the name of the WAD and the thumbnail image and I will add it in a future release
As the original Doom engine sourcecode is now GPL licensed, the full source for DVR is available in an archive found in the assets folder contained in the apk.
If you have issues, please send mail to the following address and I will endeavour to resolve them as soon as I can, within reason: email@example.com
Doom is a registered trademark of id Software / ZeniMax Media Inc.
DVR is not endorsed by, associated with, or in any way affiliated with id software or ZeniMax Media Inc.
Screenshots are all taken from DVR running the Freedoom WADs. I don't believe there are any copyright infringements in this application or listing, if you think I have accidentally infringed any copyright, please let me know immediately at the contact email address
Any images (icons etc) not part of the FREEDOOM screenshots are all of my own making and I own the entire copyright on them.