OPTIMUM application is a multi-modal route planning application elaborated by smart notifications and
proactive recommendations promoting a “greener” transport behavior. The current application is the first
version of one the main outcomes of the OPTIMUM project. OPTIMUM is an EU funded project, funded
under the MG-7.1-2014 call. The goal of OPTIMUM is to establish a largely scalable, distributed
architecture for the management and processing of multisource big-data, enabling continuous monitoring
of transportation systems needs and proposing proactive decisions and actions in an (semi-) automatic
way. More information about the project can be found here: http://www.optimumproject.eu/
The application, within the context of the project, will support multimodal route planning in three major
European cities, namely Birmingham (UK), Ljubljana (Slovenia) and Vienna (Austria). In these three cities,
all available information regarding the complex urban transportation networks has been integrated,
including public means such as train, metro and bus, taxis, shared bicycles, shared cars and electric
• User Profile and preferences. OPTIMUM application users create a personal profile filling in
questionnaires (information not disclosed to any external parties) which are in turn used for the
pro-active recommendations and suggestions towards “greener” transportation choices.
• Route requests. The mobile application enables the user to request routes with start and
destination location specifying the individual needs of the traveller (e.g. date and time of arrival
or departure, modalities, location of own car and bike, park place).
• Via points. The OPTIMUM application supports the addition by the user of via-points which should
be included in the route proposed by the application.
• Personalisation. Route alternatives are presented to the user by the app. The list with route
alternatives includes the used modalities, time and CO2 consumption for each trip alternative.
These alternatives are personalized in terms of routing optimization for the individual user and its
• Persuasion. A persuasive message is presented for specific alternatives. These messages are
associated with persuasion towards “greener” transportation choices, namely walking or
utilisation of bikes and public transportation means instead of own cars. The future version of the
application will integrate a crediting system, providing rewards in return to the “greener”
• Selected/Store routes. The app supports the storage of current and future trips. It allows quick
access to planned trips and informs the user about events that have impacts on the user’s trips
(e.g. traffic, accidents).
• Nearby POIs. The surrounding of the location of the user is shown as map with this functionality.
It allows the user to explore its location or a potential destination by showing POIs on the map.
The POIs can be filtered through categories and the POIs can be included in route requests.
• Feedback. The feedback functionality is very important to easily allow the user to communicate
with the OPTIMUM project. The feedback functionality allows to rate the app and provide
Important Note: The current version of the application is a beta version and is available for download for
testing purposes. The extended testing will allow us to fine-tune the application and resolve issues that
the development teams have not yet encountered.