This application applies an overlay filter that acts as a dimmer to darken the screen and ensure your eyes don't hurt. 😎
▶ Use Cases ◀
- Prevent your eyes from hurting when the screen is too bright
- Low light (In bed, theatre, cinema, ..) usage for reading, browsing, texting or gaming
- Disable hardware or soft buttons backlight
- If you have an AMOLED display, you can also save battery!
▶ Permissions ◀
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: To show the dimmer overlay
- INTERNET and ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: To send anonymous statistics and bug reports (you can disable them completely in the settings) and to show the ad (yeah, just one :-)
Send me an Email if you have any problem, questions or suggestions!
- Widgets: Easy access to preset brightness levels.
- Tasker/Locale Plug-in! Set brightness based on time/place/etc. To disable, configure for 100% brightness.
- Brightness slider uses logarithmic scale for fine-grained control.
- Drag the app icon to your desktop to use for toggling on/off.
- Prompts to confirm very low brightness settings.
- Option to disable soft-key backlight (does not work on all phones).
*** If you accidentally make your screen go BLACK ***
1. Pull your battery or (Nexus7) hold power button for 10 seconds
2. Uninstall the app to reset your bad brightness setting
3. Reinstall the app and use it normally again
This app will always be free! If you want to show your appreciation, please donate to Wikipedia on my behalf (and let me know you did):
Thank you! Email me if you have any other problems or questions I haven't mentioned.
Its design is simple and appreciable, you can't dislike it!
Great notification : click on the brightness icon to stop Screen Dimmer or click on the progress bar to change the filter's opacity (Version of Android earlier than 3.0).
- Variable opacity.
- Display a notification or not when Screen Dimmer is on.
- Minimize or not the screen's brightness.
- Disable the button's backlight.
- Quick launch widget and widget of opacity adjusting.
- [PRO] Change the colour of the filter and the widget.
- [PRO] Automatically toggle the app with the sunset/rise to use Screen Dimmer at night.
- [PRO] Choose the apps to launch when Screen Dimmer starts.
- [PRO] Activate the silent mode when Screen Dimmer starts.
- [PRO] Do an opacity transition when the launch of Screen Dimmer is scheduled.
If you like my app, feel free to rate it and buy the PRO version (in app) to support its development and unlock the pro features!
• Permissions :
- DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: needed to display the filter over other apps.
- RECEIVE BOOT COMPLETED: needed to preserve scheduling over reboots.
- COARSE LOCATION: needed by the sun scheduling feature.
• Known issues :
- When Screen Dimmer is on, you can't install apps manually or allow root access with SuperSu, please disable Screen Dimmer when doing so.
- Disabling key's backlights doesn't work on most Samsung devices.
• Tasker support:
★ Adjust your screen's brightness and color.
★ Add quick shortcuts to your home screen.
★ Schedule the filter to start & stop at a specific time.
And more! Download the app and try it out to see all of the features.
* If you accidentally turn your screen black, press volume up or volume down inside the app to turn off the filter, or power off your phone by holding the power button.
* If "Override screen brightness" doesn't work, try turning off "auto brightness" from your settings. This feature may also cause your screen to turn off and/or the lockscreen to activate if the setting is too low.
* To install an app from Google Play or other app stores, please turn off the filter first.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us by email.
Draw over other apps: Required for the screen filter to work.
Full network access, view network connections: Used for Google AdMob.
You set your brightness to the minimum value but it is still too bright? Then this app is exactly what you need!
The System Night Mode application lets you breach the limits, and set your screen brightness to extremely low levels (way lower than supported by android) using a cool looking, simple and user friendly user interface.
● Screen Dimmer
Dim your screen brightness way below the standard level supported by android
● Full control from the Notification Bar
To make it even easier, you can control the brightness settings right from the Notification Bar! (Please note, you can disable this feature from the configuration settings)
● Automatic turning off
You can easily schedule a daily automatic stopping of the "Night Mode" using the configuration settings
● "Emergency" turn off
Entered "Night Mode" by mistake, and you can hardly see the content of the screen? Just press the phone's power button for 2 seconds, and the "Night Mode" will be stopped (Due to android limitations, this feature is supported only when the main screen of the application is displayed)
● "Draw over other apps" – Is required in order to show the overlay filter that is responsible for dimming the screen.
● "Full network access" and "View network connections" – This is an ad supported application, and these permissions are required in order to load the ads when a network connection is available.
If the background is a gradient instead of just black, you need to: turn off "Force GPU rendering" in your phone's "Developer"
To find the settings menu on S5, just hold in the multitasking key (left soft key at bottom of phone).
If you have a problem, email me! This app is intended to be used with the phone plugged in. In "dim" mode the battery will last longer, but having it on all night will drain at least half your battery if you aren't charging.
This is a simple, retro-style night clock. It will display the time in big, bold letters (three fonts and any color to choose from), along with having a built-in alarm (or you can use your stock android alarm, it it's supported). Since the screen will stay on while the application is open (unless you manually turn it off), it is highly recommended that you keep your phone plugged in to charge otherwise it will drain the battery.
Some features include:
-Tap to dim screen to lowest possible setting
-Launches when put into the multimedia dock (also has flipped mode for use without a dock)
-Font and color settings (when choosing text color, drag your finger away from the center to change transparency)
-Built in alarm (or use stock Android alarm, if your phone supports it)
-Show next alarm on clock screen
Some comments from users:
Kevin: "Simple, Effective, Does Exactly What I Want I looked at a number of other apps and this was the only one that did what I needed. It has multiple alarms; a great low light night time display; simple interface. It took me a minute to realize that I can add my own custom alarm sounds by putting an MP3 in the folder 'alarms' at the base of my sd card. I was also able to dim the back light on the buttons using tasker, but I plan on upgrading to the donate version if the alarm continues to work well."
Frank: "I'm blind as a bat without my glasses at night. The big numbers can easily be seen."
Aimee: "Works great on my Droid X. Exactly what I needed and my alarm still goes off as set. Great app with great dim feature that still makes it easy to see."
- Disable led notification light;
- Disable haptic feedback;
- Disable notification sounds;
- Disable ringtone sounds (vibration mode);
- Disable vibration and sound (silent mode);
- Minimize display brightness.
How it works:
- Select the range of time in which you want the features disabled;
- Select the features you want to be disabled;
- Enable the app;
- At the start time the application automatically disables the selected features;
- At the end time the features are restored.
IMPORTANT: if want to disable notification sounds, please don't kill the application.
If you modify any setting during the night mode, at the end it won't be restored.
"To put it simply, Lux kicks the pants off of Android’s stock brightness manager, and it’s worth every cent." - Lifehacker
"Lux is a third-party app that allows you to easily calibrate your phone’s brightness sensor, saving you battery power and reducing eye strain if your phone is normally too bright in dark rooms." - HowToGeek
Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
Lux is also able to adjust the screen temperature of your display automatically to make it appropriate for night usage. At sunset, you can have Lux automatically warm your display and switch to your Night profile. If you're an astronomer, you can enable astronomer mode to cut out harsh white light. If you have a root enabled phone, you may even be able to apply these enhancements at a low level with Lux's plug-in system.
Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.
Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund within a week of purchase via e-mail - no questions asked.
■ Stable, custom auto brightness with root plug-in support.
■ Use your ambient light sensor or camera(s) to read in ambient light.
■ Subzero brightness for night viewing.
■ Select between Auto, Day, Night, Car and Cinema light profiles
■ Automatic night mode. Change the colour temperature of your display for comfortable night time viewing.
■ Astronomer mode. Adds a red filter to your display to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, filters, and linked sample editing.
■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode. NOTE: This is broken in Android 5.0 due to API changes beyond my control.
■ Customisable fade for backlight adjustments.
■ Tasker and Locale support
■ Battery efficient.
■ Backup to SD.
■ No ads or other nuisances.
Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.
Want Lux in your language? Join the translation project here:
TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values if camera input is selected.
DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
Need assistance? Have questions? Contact me via the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux settings, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Please use the power symbol in the notification to temporarily toggle Lux when using secure views, such as banking apps, VPN and accessibility settings.
If you use your smart phone at night and feels that screen brightness hurt your eyes 'Night Mode' is here to rescue you. This app works as Screen Filter or Dimmer, you can reduce the screen brightness even below the lowest possible by default settings and protect your eyes.
This app is far more powerful than Android's default brightness setting and filter out the excessive brightness and dims the screen. Great for low-light web browsing, eBook reading and games. It can even saves battery life for AMOLED displays!
* With the app you can also schedule the NightMode to Turn On or OFF automatically at any particular time.
* You have the option to control the Ringtone and Notifications sound while NightMode is active.
You can choose from options to
1. Disable the sound and put the device in vibrator mode.
2. Disable the sound and vibration completely.
Once any option is chosen it will become active as soon as Night Mode becomes active.
When Night Mode deactivates, it will set the sound settings as before the activation.
* Ringtone and Notification sound settings doesn't affect the sound for Alarms and Music.
keyword : Dimmer, Screen Filter
● Dim your screen way beyond the default brightness controls in Android.
● Designed for ease of use.
● Transparent background allows previewing the brightness level on any app or game.
● Set minimum and maximum brightness values.
● Blue light filter
● Up-to-date Lollipop look & feel.
- easy use;
- can automatically set default brightness settings in Android to the minimum;
- restore default brightness settings after stop the app;
- keep the screen on while the app is running;
- supports dimming the transparent navigation bar in Android 4.4 and higher;
Lower screen light.
Simple, Intuitive, Useful.
Quickly control in notification.
Automatically dim and brighten as environment.
One click icon to switch dim and bright.
Auto launch at the specific time.
Support color filter.
Keywords : Dimmer, brightness, screen light, night mode.
WRITE_SETTINGS: change system brightness
SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: make screen darker
RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: auto launch after reboot (only works in time mode)
GET_TASKS: exclude specify app from auto launch (only works in auto mode)
Support Tasker: receive broadcast with these actions to control Dimmer
e.g. Add Tasker command: Action Category → Misc → Send Intent → Action
Dimmer Develop Group http://goo.gl/03dsL1
Help refine and translate into your language.
Welcome to contribute Dimmer open source project.
Apk installation failed: Android disable the installation whenever any app with permission SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW is active.
Some devices are not support disable physical button backlight.
You can adjust the screen brightness and a brighter/darker image.
- Swipe left <-> right to switch seamless between a darker and a brighter image.
- Swipe up<->down to adjust the screen brightness.
- Switch digital clock on/off
- Turn LED flashlight on/off
- Turn screen flashlight mode on/off
- Sleep timer (Turns off screen and closes application)
Click the sleep timer button repeatedly to change the timer value.
* No unnecessary permissions
I might release a version with settings that might cost money, but for now this application is completely free.
Dimmer is a simple tool that puts a black filter on top of all apps so that the amount of light emitted by your display is even lower than it would be with only lowest brightness settings.
Dimmer also includes "Timed mode" that allows you to set the times when you want the filter to be applied and removed so that you do not need to start Dimmer manually every night. If the filtering level seems too high or too low, you can simply adjust it in your notifications where you can also disable it completely.
Ever wake up in the middle of the night to check your phone, only to be blinded by the light? Your phone is on the lowest brightness setting but it still burns your eyes? Never have that happen again!
Super Dimmer not only dims your phone lower than the manufacturer or other third-party apps allow you to, but it also turns off the hardware buttons' backlight, and automatically turns itself on at night and off in the morning! It is also highly configurable - change the dimness level, when to turn on, when to turn off, etc.
You can also launch the application whenever you want, even if it is not night time. Worried about being obnoxious at a movie theater? No problem! Just launch this app, set it to manual mode by checking the "Ignore Power Toggle" button, and never feel self conscious again.
Due to popular request, I've reverted the app to allow for a clearable notification, this time with a setting. (notification can be completley hid in PRO version). However, due to the way Android works, checking this setting will lead to unstable behavior. It is NOT recommended. To avoid bright flashes, leave this setting as-is, with the non-clearable notification.
It has also been shown to save battery on certain devices (most Samsungs, Moto RAZR / RAZR MAXX, Nexus, and most Nokias)
Don't forget to add Super Dimmer to your exception list if you use a task killer!
On first launch, hit the menu button and configure the settings to your liking. Hit "Apply Settings" when happy. If it is not within the time you set for the app to turn on, toggle the power to turn it off. Or, buy the Pro version which has a notification icon with the ability to toggle the dimmer on and off :P. Note: Turning on the screen sets the dimness according to the time of day, if "Ignore Power Toggle" is unchecked (OFF by default). If it is checked, dimmer only turns on manually.
This app is completely free, and ad-free. I make absolutely no money off this. If you enjoy this app, please purchase my $1 theme found here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dberm22.theme
Ticking Sound, Countdown Alarm and Lap Time functionality
Notification whilst stopwatch running in the background on compatible devices.
To save battery the application itself doesn't run in the background, but it simulates it using system events.
Designs by Marie Schweiz (http://marie-schweiz.de)
+Rich Hyndman on Google Plus, @geekyouup on Twitter
Open Source at http://android-ultimatestopwatch.googlecode.com
For those of you that preferred the old style, it is published at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geekyouup.android.oldtimer
The Cleaner. Show desktop wallpaper and hide desktop widgets and icons, shortcut to a clean and clear view of your wallpaper with a small toggle widget
Graphics by David Fraser, thx!
hide launcher, hide icons, transparent launcher, just wallpaper, transparent screensaver, show wallpaper
App and home screen widget.
Auto brightness gets turned off by a number of things, this just saves you having to go through the menus to re-enable it.
Please consider buying 'Cleaner Pro' to donate.
Source available: http://autobright.googlecode.com