*** Genetics 4 Medics featured in The Lancet (Sep, 2011)
*** Compiled by doctors from Clinical Genetics, Pediatrics & Cardiology backgrounds
*** NEW*** Version 3.0
1. Conditions section completely revised and updated as of January 2014.
2. Diagrams added.
3. Links to PubMed review articles.
Genetics 4 Medics application is intended to facilitate the learning process as well as to refresh the knowledge which has already been acquired. We hope this will be useful to students and practicing clinicians alike.
*** NOTE: In the free version, the user will have access to 50 Genetic conditions, 50 Clues, 3 Chromosomes in the mapping section and the questions in the Gene Teaser section. To unlock all features, please upgrade to the full version by an in-app purchase.
*** The free version is ad supported
This app has four sections.
1. GENETIC CONDITIONS
- Over 200 Genetic conditions described
- Each condition described under two headings:
a) Background & Genetics (gene mutation, chromosomal location etc)
b) Salient Features (common clinical features)
- Links to external online resources provided for majority of conditions described.
- Conditions mapped to its chromosomal locus
- We have mainly included conditions caused by single gene defect. However, a few conditions with genetic heterogeneity have also been included.
- Pictorial representation of chromosomes to facilitate visual learning and memory. Note: these pictures do not represent the exact banding pattern of a chromosome and are not drawn to scale.
- Tapping on the titles will open up the description page of the condition.
- About 150 clinical clues included
- Selecting a clue provides links to the conditions commonly associated with it.
- Basic genetic concepts explained using simple terminology
- Genetic investigations simplified.
5. GENE TEASERS
Food for your genes! Try out these questions in your spare time.
This section will be updated regularly with new questions. These questions are case based scenarios and based on common Genetic conditions seen in clinical practice. A notification will appear on the app icon whenever this section is updated with a new question. The title of the case scenario will automatically be updated in this section. The user will be able to download the case by selecting the download icon next to the title. NOTE: An active internet connection will be needed for the regular updates as well as to download the cases.
Genetics 4 Medics application should only be used for educational purposes and NOT as a diagnostic tool. For help with diagnosing a genetic condition, please take advice from an experienced Clinical Geneticist.
Full Terms & Conditions available on downloading the app. Users must agree to these Terms & Conditions prior to use.
Please contact us for support or feedback - firstname.lastname@example.org