Featured as ABC News & Salon.com app of the week. As seen on NBC, FOX, CNBC, MSNBC, and covered by Forbes and Huffington Post.
● HOW IT WORKS ●
✓Join campaigns to help causes you care about and commit to supporting the companies on your side of the issue, while avoiding those that oppose your position.
✓Scan product a product barcode and Buycott will find out what company owns that product (and who owns that company, ad infinitum).
✓Buycott will determine whether you're avoiding or supporting the scanned product.
✓Using this information you can now vote with your wallet
● FEATURES ●
☆ Using the bar code scanner, look up the ownership structure of any product and trace it all the way back to its parent company with our interactive family tree diagram.
☆ Offers a variety of contact data for companies and brands, so you can easily inform them of your decision to support or avoid their products.
☆ Barcode scanner scans all major retail barcodes (UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN8, EAN13, etc).
☆ Super fast barcode scanner ensures you don't spend extra time at the store.
☆ Create your own campaign from buycott.com
☆ Make decisions quickly so you can ultimately vote with your wallet
We are working on a new app that actually works. It will allow you to make your own communities to boycott companies that oppose your ideals, and see profiles of products and how they align with your values. Check back in September for a link to the new web tool and Android application.
SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) if passed will drastically change the internet for the worse. This app will help you avoid SOPA supporting products to show your displeasure with the bill and help get it voted down! Read more about SOPA here.
What it is: A free android application that you can use to scan bar codes to help identify if products are either created by or intimately related to SOPA supporting companies. There are currently over 800 brands/companies on our list. The list currently being used by the application is available on our website listed below.
This application will help you identify goods of companies which according to publically avaliable sources appear to have been supporting SOPA as of approx. January 5th 2011, but the list will be updated as we go.
It is intended as an aid to identifying such products but should not be relied upon. You should carry out your own check in case of any product this app indicates is a product of a company supporting
SOPA is not.
Please visit our site at www.nomoresopa.com for more information
Donating: We’ve had questions about donating, if you want to donate go here: http://nomoresopa.com/wp/?page_id=25 Donations will go to pizza and beer for long nights improving the application.
IMPORTANT: To all the folks asking why it requires other permissions- this app ONLY requires internet permissions. It does require the barcode scanner app made by the ZXing (google/open source) team to be installed on your phone, and nothing else - this app does the image processing to decode the barcode. If you'd like, you may use Google Goggles instead of ZXing and it will work fine. Our app makes one request over the internet to our server to find if the product is a SOPA supporter. We do not access any other data.
Update: We're working to incorporate the great feature requests that people have asked for. We're implementing a second version of the app right now, which will support multiple boycotts, a contact the company feature, and has a more sophisticated search functionality so accuracy will be improved. Thanks for all the interest and bear with us while we get a newer and more accurate version out.
Your grooming rituals probably include shampoo, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, lip balm, sunscreen, body lotion, shaving products (if you’re a man) and makeup (if you’re a woman).
And what about your children? Sunscreen, diaper cream, shampoo and lotion are common kids’ products.
Most people use cosmetics and other personal-care items without a second thought, believing that the government makes sure they’re safe. Not so. No health studies or pre-market testing are required.
EWG’s Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database is the world's largest safety reference tool for personal-care products. EWG has launched this app to provide you with easy-to-navigate safety ratings at your fingertips for a wide range of products and ingredients on the market.
Americans’ frequent exposure to cosmetics and personal-care products raises questions about the potential health risks of the myriad under-assessed ingredients they contain. These ingredients end up in the bodies of nearly every American.
When you know what chemicals are in the products you bring into your home and how they may affect your health and the environment, you can make informed purchasing decisions — and help transform the marketplace.
This Skin Deep® app has information and online safety assessments for more than 72,000 personal care products, 2,500 brands and 9,000 ingredients, culled from product labels and from the scientific and industry literature.
To calculate a product score, we tally the hazards of each ingredient and evaluate every product in relation to all the others in Skin Deep®. The safest products score well by both measures: a low hazard rating AND fair or better data availability. EWG’s ratings are the best available information you can find on the safety of personal-care product ingredients.
Important note about app permissions:
* The app requires access to your device's "Hardware controls for pictures & videos" to scan barcodes and QR codes. We do not use the camera for any other purpose.
* The app requires knowledge of the "accounts on the device" to send notifications. This permission does not give us access to any passwords or personal information. You can turn off notifications anytime in the More menu.
Looking to grab great values on the go? The Walmart app helps you find and buy quality products at unbeatable prices whether you’re shopping at home, in our stores or anywhere in between.
--Introducing Savings Catcher, a new way to catch savings--
1) Scan your store receipt using the Walmart app.
2) Savings Catcher compares the prices of eligible items on your receipt against the advertised deals offered by top competitors in your area.
3) If a lower advertised price is found, we’ll give you back the difference on a Walmart Rewards eGift Card.
* Now get 2X the Reward Dollars from Savings Catcher by redeeming to your Bluebird Account, a checking and debit alternative brought to you by Walmart and American Express.
--Savings Made Easy--
* Shop for hundreds of thousands of items beyond what’s in our stores.
* Get free shipping when you choose our store pickup option. Simply pick up your items at any Walmart store.
* Enjoy free, easy returns. Ship your item back to us or stop by any Walmart store for a quick, in-person return.
* Shop Rollbacks and Value of the Day to save a bundle.
* Check product prices, ratings/reviews, store inventory and more.
* Scan barcodes and QR codes for additional shopping information.
* Find store hours and directions.
* Browse your Walmart store’s Weekly Ad.
--Pharmacy & Photo--
* Order, refill, transfer and view pharmacy prescriptions.
* Print photos from your phone to a 1-Hour Walmart Photo Center.
Save money. Live better.
* Customers are able to shop millions of products on any of Amazon's sites around the world from a single app
* Quickly search, get product details, and read reviews on millions of products from Amazon and other merchants
* Take advantage of 1-Click ordering, customer support, Wish Lists, order tracking, and more
* Scan product barcodes and images to compare prices and check availability using Scan It or search for products on Amazon using your voice
* Check out Gold Box Deals - including the Deal of the Day and Lightning Deals, and get automatically notified when new deals become available
* Shop the full selection of products available at Amazon.com
* Customers with an Android Wear smart watch can search with their voice, 1-Click buy products, and save products and ideas to their Wish List
* Send and share links to products via email, SMS, Facebook, Twitter, and more
* Sign-up for automatic shipment notifications to know when your order ships and arrives
* Buy with confidence, knowing that all transactions are securely processed
The Amazon Shopping app lets you shop millions of products and manage your Amazon orders from anywhere. Browse and shop by department, compare prices, read reviews, share products with friends, check out Gold Box Deals, make purchases, and check the status of your orders. Comparing prices and product availability is now even easier by searching with your voice, scanning a bardcode or an image with your camera, or simply typing in your search. Never miss a deal with easy access to Lightning Deals and the Deal of the Day. You can also sign-up to get notified automatically when your order ships and arrives at its destination. The Amazon Shopping App also includes support for Android Wear. Customers with Android 4.3 and above in the US with an Android Wear watch can use their voice to search, buy products, and save shopping ideas to their Wish List. Just say “Start Amazon Shopping” from your Wear watch. With the Amazon Shopping app, you always have full access to your Shopping Cart, Wish Lists, payment and Prime shipping options, Subscribe & Save order history, and 1-Click settings, just like on the full Amazon.com site. All Amazon Shopping app purchases are routed through Amazon's secure servers to encrypt and safeguard your personal information.
Important Note Regarding Permissions
Please note that the Amazon Shopping app requires access to the following services to operate properly:
* Camera: The camera is used to scan barcodes and for Flow, a new way to search for multiple items quickly.
* Location: Location permissions are required to support the convenience store delivery service offered by Amazon in France and Japan. Customers in those locations can request delivery to a convenience store near their current location. This service is not available in other countries supported by the Amazon Shopping app.
* Account: Account permissions are used for integration with Facebook and other social networks you have connected to your device to allow you to share products with friends and family.
* Phone calls: within the app you are able to place a call to Amazon Customer Service. Tap Menu > Help & About > Contact Us > Call Customer Service, and we will place the proper number in the phone app and dial it.
* Phone status & local storage permissions are required to support notifications in China.
* Read / Write USB Storage
OS Requirements: Requires Android OS 2.3 or higher and a rear-facing camera. The Amazon App for Tablets is available on Google Play. Search for "Amazon Tablet" to install the app and begin shopping.