This demo is intended primarily for developers and those interested in developing mobile barcode scanning apps, but also it can be easily used as any other PDF417 and QR scanning app.
* Barcode types: PDF417 (2D Barcode), QR code, Coder39, Code128
* Flexibility: easy to integrate API
* Working conditions: low and poor light conditions
* Camera quality: low quality and low resolution mobile cameras
* Perspective: can shoot at an angle
* Speed: 100-900 ms - depends on device and barcode size
* Charset: unicode
PDF417.mobi scanning library is ideal for different barcode reader apps like: boarding pass, personal identifications, payment slips, driver licences and other.
If you like it, check for downloads, source code on GitHub, help, pricing and more information on our web site: http://pdf417.mobi/
Runs the Tesseract 3.03 open source OCR engine to find text in images captured by the device camera.
This app runs OCR on your device--without uploading your images to a server--and is suitable for recognizing individual words or short phrases of text. Translation (powered by Google/Microsoft) can be run after OCR.
The default single-shot capture runs OCR on a snapshot image that's captured when you click the shutter button, like a regular photo.
When the "continuous preview" checkbox is checked, the app shows a dynamic, real-time display of what the device is recognizing right beside the camera viewfinder. The continuous preview mode works best on a fast device.
USING THIS APP
- Point the device at a small region of text and touch the on-screen shutter button to start OCR.
- To copy text to the clipboard or share text, long-press on the text after pressing the shutter button.
- For recognizing individual Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters, set the page segmentation mode to "single character."
- Various factors can cause the OCR to fail: uneven illumination, stylized text, or text without enough contrast from the background. Try to have good lighting.
- Hold the device steady, and be sure the picture is in focus.
- If you need to scan a large block of text or an entire document, consider using a flatbed scanner or a document scanning app such as TextFairy instead.
- This app supports several languages not supported by Google Goggles/Google Translate.
- Supported languages for OCR: Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azeri, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
- Arabic OCR requires a large amount of RAM. If your device doesn't have enough RAM, the app will quit during OCR.
SAMSUNG DEVICE NOTES
- On Samsung Galaxy devices, you may need to long-press the menu button to set preferences.
- You may get better results if you un-check "Standard focus mode".
- This is an open source project. The source code is available at https://github.com/rmtheis/android-ocr.
- Since the release of this app, Google Goggles has added a "continuous mode" and Google Translate has added OCR-based translations. There is also one VC-funded startup that has used this app as a starting point.
- Thanks to the contributors: Spoorthi, Hunvil, Jingjing, Xuyuan, and Mandar.
My latest translation app:
This is not designed to be an application that you would actually use - it is a demo application that can be used as a launchpoint for building your own version, with your own data.
Sample barcodes that you can try to scan with this application are located here: https://github.com/derekdata/barcode-cart-builder/blob/master/sampleData/sampleBarcodes.pdf
For more details, see https://github.com/derekdata/barcode-cart-builder
Almost every question and negative review comment is addressed by one of the following. Please save everyone time by reading these first:
Nobody is stealing your information. The app allows you to share contacts, apps, and bookmarks in a QR Code. This is why contacts permissions are needed. See "Visit Developer Website" below ( https://github.com/zxing/zxing/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions ).
If your device is not scanning, first try workarounds for device bugs in Settings. Enable all of them, and then try disabling one at a time to determine which is necessary. If this does not help, try clearing the device cache and settings from Android settings.
If these still do not work and you believe there is an app problem, send a message with the following information. Messages without this information can't be acted on, so are ignored.
- Device type
- A basic description of what does not work: crashes? does not scan? looks strange?
- Acknowledgement that you tried the steps above first
- A device log capture from when it starts