TOTAL BODY STABILITY TRAINING AND INJURY PREVENTION
Total Body Stability is the fifth app in the How to Defeat the Bigger Stronger Opponent series. It features master trainer Roy Duquette and BJJ world champion Emily Kwok.
As you may know, Grapplearts offers an entire series of instructional apps in which Emily Kwok shares a detailed breakdown of her grappling strategies and techniques.
Emily is a bona fide world champion, both with and without the gi. And obviously her high level of technical expertise has a TON to do with her tournament success.
But it would be foolish to overlook the importance physical conditioning has had in her competitive achievements. That includes conditioning to increase strength and endurance, but also conditioning is to avoid injury.
It comes down to this: If you’re injured then you can’t train.
Correct conditioning = less injuries = more training = faster skill development.
Furthermore the sad fact is that many of our favorite techniques tend to overdevelop certain parts of our body. And these imbalances ultimately make us much more vulnerable to injury.
Fortunately increasing your functional strength with proper training makes your body more resilient to injury. If you do the right exercises in the right way you can
* Increase strength,
* Protect your joints,
* Correct physical imbalances created by practicing your martial art,
* Get rid of many of the aches and pains that many grapplers take for granted.
Most longtime martial artists eventually come to the conclusion that a sensible strength and conditioning program is essential to achieving longevity in their chosen art.
Roy Duquette is uniquely qualified to work with martial artists. He has over 15 years of experience as a professional trainer and and performance coach. Roy has also worked with many MMA fighters and BJJ competitors.
He was also Emily’s first conditioning coach and the person who first introduced her to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
In the app Roy presents a workout designed to strengthen and stabilise your body. Not only will you develop a rock-solid core that will greatly increase your functional strength on the mats, you’ll also protect the joints and muscles of your body that are most susceptible to getting hurt.
Total Body Stability training may just be your ace in a hole, for the simple reason that being strong and uninjured allows you to train harder in class and walk around without feeling crippled all the time!
Volume five, ‘An Introduction to Total Body Stability’ comes with detailed instructions for each exercise. The emphasis on the back, abs, core and shoulders, and the specific ways in which these exercises are done, ensures that these sequences are total body strengtheners.
1) Standing Active Posture Series
2) Standing Front Raises
3) Standing L-Flyes
4) Standing Dumbbell Shrug
5) Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press
6) Standing Upper Body Stability Bicep Curl
7) Sequential Roll-Up Series
8) Sequential Roll-Up
9) Roll-Up with Alternating Leg Raises
10) Roll-Up with Double Leg Raises
11) Superman Series
12) Superman: Double Arm and Leg Extension
13) Superman: Overhead Flyes
14) Superman: Leg Curls
15) Superman: Simultaneous Flyes and Leg Curls
16) Standard Plank Series
17) Sequential Plank
18) Plank Push-Up
19) Plank with Alternating Leg Raises
20) Swiss-Ball Bridge Series
21) Swiss-Ball: Straight-Leg Bridge
22) Swiss-Ball: Leg Curls
23) Swiss-Ball: Bent-Knee Bridging
24) Swiss-Ball: Alternating Leg Raises
* Footage has been professionally filmed and edited for ease of learning
* The app includes complete menus for easy navigation
* You can create a list of your favourite sections and exercises using the one-click ‘favourite’ button
* The app is designed to download to your phone or iPad; an internet connection is NOT required to view the videos
* BONUS: ‘The Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu’ book for free!