The Equestrian Club in Riyadh undertakes organization and management of horse races as well as registering all local bred and imported horses in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia including studs, broods and mares in cooperation with the Saudi Stud Book Corporation (Wetherbes). The club also invites the greatest possible number of race sponsors and information people to contribute to races and race prizes as well as supporting horse trainers, jockeys and owners since the club is considered a link between all equestrian parties.
The club keeps records of all local race results and sends them to international racing authorities , which renders the equestrian sport promoted to internationality. Winners of the first five positions are prized in cash or in kind weekly whereas each owner is granted a number of points according to his acquired position. This is then included in the seasons statistics.
The main functions of the club include:-
1. Issuance of the race regulations: Following the end of every race season, preparation of the next season program starts. This comprises local and international races, determination of horse qualities, order of races, financial prizes, distances and dates of these races. These activities are undertaken after requesting the trainers to provide the club with lists of horses expected to participate in the new season and giving trainers time to review the subject details and give their suggestions and views.
2. Issuance of licenses to (Owners, trainers and jockeys). Issuance of race colors and licenses to approved representatives as per the locally and internationally followed rules.
3. Supervision over daily track works in morning and evening on the sand tracks at King Abdul Aziz Racecourse in Riyadh and King Khalid Racecourse in Taif. Training of horses participating for the first time and those having problem on the starting gates.
4. Preparing each weekly race that is technically separate as follows:
5. Entry of trainers forms concerning race horses putting each in the relevant race, preparing weights and publishing full details of each race separately including horse names, owners , trainers and weights of each separate horse in both Arabic and English.
6. Preparation of the weekly program in Arabic and English and the list of the announced jockeys participating in the race and balloted starting gates.