Camino Companion is a detailed, map-based smartphone guide for your pilgrimage on the Camino Frances route of the Camino de Santiago (aka Way of St. James). It lists more than 1,300 important waypoints (with 1,360 photographs) from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Muxia such as accommodation, junctions, road crossings, churches, towns, and many others.
The free demo covers the 42-mile (68-km) segment from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamplona.
In-app purchases include:
- The 557-mile/896-km Camino Frances from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Muxia (via Santiago de Compostela) more than 130 miles/210 kilometers of alternate and side-routes
- An abbreviated 71-mile/114-km Camino Frances from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
- No mobile or internet connection is required after initial setup -- works in Airplane Mode
- Detailed maps with your GPS location
- Elevation profile view
- Custom route creator
- Multiple offline map choices
- Real-time comments from other hikers
- Send your current location to friends or family via text message or email
The guidebook lists every waypoint in order by distance along the trail and how far away you are from each waypoint. The guidebook also includes a detailed town guide for major resupply points, towns, and services along the Camino de Santiago.
Waypoint details include:
- Mileage point and elevation
- Distance to the next water source and tent site
- Comments section where you may post comments and read other hikers’ comments
Types of waypoints:
- Water sources (including the reliability of each water source)
- Detailed resupply and town information:
- post offices and other package services
- grocery stores and convenience stores
- gear shops and hardware stores
- lodging, public showers, public restrooms
- public libraries
- Tenting sites/camping sites
- Trail junctions
- Parking areas along the trail
- Picnic areas, campgrounds, ranger stations
- Roads, railroad tracks, power lines, fences, gates
- Natural landmarks (e.g. mountain passes)
- Other points of interest (e.g. sculptures, historic sites, etc.)
This app is a collaboration between long-distance hiker Keith Foskett and the creators of the popular Guthook's Guides series of long distance hiking apps.