Download topo maps for the US and many other countries in advance, so you won't need cell coverage for navigation. Use storage memory for maps.
Use GPS waypoints from GPX or KML files, or enter your own coordinates using longitude/latitude, UTM, MGRS, or grid reference. Using GOTO makes a waypoint a locus for navigation.
This uses many publicly available map sources as free downloads. Some additional content available as an in app purchase:
-Accuterra Topo Map Source for $19.99/year. This can be purchased and used with or in instead of the free sources.
-Digital Globe Subscription allows offline storage of high res satellite imagery for much of the world.
- Boundary maps for 12 western states from the Bureau of Land Management(BLM) Overlay for topo maps valued by hunters.
-GMU boundaries in some states
-Lake Contours in several states.
-Content from US TrailMaps including:
-ATV, Whitewater, and Equestrian Trail Maps
See the menu under More-> "Purchasing AddOns". They can be shown on top of topo maps.
You may try the DEMO version to make sure you like the maps in your country.
About topo (topographic) maps: Topo maps show terrain through color and contours, and are useful for navigation offroad. Topo maps and GPS can be used for hiking, hunting, kayaking, snowshoeing, & backpacker trails.
You can create your own maps with Mobile Atlas Creator, or specify a custom tile server. Built in sources include:
OpenStreetMaps from MapQuest
OpenCycleMaps showing terrain worldwide
US Topo Maps from Caltopo and the USGS
USTopo: Aerial Photography with markup.
Canada Topo Maps from Toporama
Marine maps: NOAA RNC Nautical Charts (coastal)
USGS Color Aerial photography
Topographic Maps of Spain and Italy
Topo maps of New Zealand
Japan GSI maps.
Many of the above sources are generally free to use.
Use offline topo maps and GPS on hiking trails without cell service. The GPS in your Android phone can get its position from GPS satellites, and you don’t have to rely on your data plan to get maps. Have more fun and safe GPS navigation in the backcountry.
Use as a geocaching navigator by getting a pocket query as GPX.
Besides geocaching, use GPS for recording tracks and GPS waypoints on your trip, all the while tracking your GPS quest on topographic maps. It may replace your Garmin handheld GPS.
Here are some of the outdoor GPS activities BackCountry Navigator has been used for:
As a hiking GPS both on hiking trails and off trail.
Camping trips to find that perfect camping site or the way back to camp with GPS.
Hunting trips for hunting wild game in rugged areas.
Doing recon for a hunt or as your hunting GPS
Fishing: make it your fishing GPS.
Search and Rescue (SAR).
Trekking the Pacific Crest trail or other long term hiking.
Kayak and canoe treks on inland lakes and streams or marine, coastal waters.
Backpacker trips: using topo maps of wilderness areas and national forests for navigation on trails with the GPS in your rucksack or backpack.
Snow sports including snowmobiling, skiing and snowshoeing.
Find your own ways to have fun in the outdoors. Be a maverick by venturing beyond cell service boundaries with your GPS. Become a pro at navigation with GPS for the outdoors.
BackCountry Navigator has been on WM devices and preloaded on the Trimble Nomad outdoor rugged device. This Android version is more flexible, featured, and fun. Create a memory with maps.
For a one time fee, this a great addition to the outdoor gear you bought at Cabelas, REI, or another outdoor store. Many have found the Android GPS in a phone or tablet to substitute for a Garmin GPS or Magellan GPS, such as the Garmin GPS units Montana, Etrex, or Oregon. Android can be your handheld GPS.
GPS Trails Pro works in remote places like national parks, wilderness areas, and backcountry spots without relying on data and cell signals.
With GPS Trails Pro, you can:
Turn your phone into a GPS: Navigate via precise satellite signals in and out of cell network.
Capture waypoints: Mark campsites, trailheads, water sources, summits, and more.
Track every step: Record or follow your tracks and routes. Store unlimited tracks.
Share your trip: Post adventures to backpacker.com, Twitter and Facebook.
Geotag your photos, videos, and sound clips: Save coordinates with every image and see their exact location on a map. Auto-save videos to your YouTube account too.
View maps: See unlimited street maps, aerial photos, hybrid street/aerial maps, and topo maps provided by MyTopo.
Navigate on the trail: Be an expert backcountry navigator. Use the digital compass to follow bearings or go to waypoints on the trail.
Create map packs to store maps on your phone. This app allows you to save topos (MyTopo), aerials (Bing), streets (OSM), and terrain (OCM) map types.
Get worldwide aerial images on your phone. Our app gives you rare access to view and store offine aerial imagery from Bing maps.
View stats: See 10 stats, including elevation, speed, and distance.
Pick your coordinates: Choose latitude/longitude or UTM and WGS 84 or NAD 27 then use GPS Trails for advanced navigation with traditional paper maps.
Download Pro Trips: Follow our step-by-step trail guides of popular trails and lesser-known routes in national parks, national forests, and local parks, including Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains, Glacier, Rocky Mountain, White Mountains, Adirondacks, Catskills, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Acadia, Mount Rainier, Everglades, Olympic, and more. Find hikes near major cities: New York City, Seattle, Portland, LA, Denver, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, and more. Plus find section hikes on the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail.
Search trips: Find thousands of trips shared by the Backpacker editors and the trimbleoutdoors.com community.
Plan trips: Plan trips with map tools at trimbleoutdoors.com and wirelessly sync them to Backpacker GPS Trails app. You can mark points, draw tracks, upload GPS files, print maps, and more. (requires membership)
Get published: Every month the editors at Backpacker handpick adventures shared by its online community to be published in the magazine. Kickstart your adventure writing and photography career with GPS Trails.
NEW: Plug in statewide topo maps into your Android with our new SD cards. Learn more at: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/SDCards/
Supported Phones: GPS Trails Pro is designed and optimized for the Android phones.
Battery Life: While we optimize our code to cut down on power requirements, continued use of the GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. For longer dayhikes or overnight trips, we suggest packing lightweight battery packs to charge the phone.
Follow Us: We’ve created a Facebook page for our mobile apps to discuss upcoming releases, new features, and your feedback. Your feedback helps us create a better app. Go to: facebook.com/backpackergpstrails.
Backpacker brings the outdoors straight to the reader's doorstep, inspiring and enabling them to go more places and enjoy nature more often. The authority on active adventure, Backpacker is the world's first GPS-enabled™ magazine and website, and the only outdoor media whose editors and network of map contributors personally map the hiking trails they publish.
FOXNews, TappedIn - http://bit.ly/iCqKVp
"You can save your tracks, save your maps, save your gpx's, etc. It's pretty freaking cool."
BackPackingLight.com - http://bit.ly/mebcqn
►► About Gaia (guy-yuh)
Painstakingly crafted since 2009, Gaia GPS offers the full functionality of a handheld, backcountry GPS unit, with the best outdoor maps on the Market. You can always get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gaia comes from Greek mythology - she is the Goddess of the Earth, or Mother Nature.
• preview all maps online at www.gaiagps.com/maps
• download worldwide topo, road, and aerial maps
• includes the best government topo maps for the US and Canada (USGS, USFS, NRCan)
• unlimited downloads for offline use - no extra charges
• use Gaia everywhere - any Android or iOS device, and online at cloud.gaiagps.com
• sync your tracks, photos, maps, and waypoints to all of your devices
• share links to import tracks and photos, via email, Facebook, Twitter, SMS, and more
• keep your data backed up and synced to other devices, effortlessly
►► Map Tools
• record tracks, waypoints, and take geo-tagged photos
• display NEXRAD radar, track data, and TrailBehind waypoints on the map
• search for nearby waypoints and reports about places.
• import and export GPX/KML files, by file browser, DropBox, and email.
• customize all aspects of Gaia, including units, coordinates types, color and sound, and more.
Subscribe to GaiaPro to get premium maps and features. A GaiaPro subscription costs $39.99/year or $3.99/month.
• download multi-layered maps - mix and set opacity for a many layers at once
• use MapBox cloudless aerial and street maps, the best and most up-to-date OpenStreetMap available
• sync high-resolution photos to GaiaCloud
WARNING, Gaia GPS is not compatible with these 3 devices:
* Droid Razr Maxx
* HTC Wildfire
* Asus Transformer
Rapidly create a photo eBook right from your phone. Hiking InstEbook includes:
- Keep adding photos and experiences and republishing
- Email your published book right from the app to as many people as you like
- Custom cover produced from your photos
-Add map location information to each photo or note
- Enjoy viewing on any tablet, computer, or smartphone
You can access and store locally a large range of on-line topographic maps, which will remain available even while being out of cell coverage. AlpineQuest also supports on-board file based maps, like MemoryMap(c) maps.
By using the GPS and the magnetic sensor of your device (with compass display), getting lost is part of the past: you are localized in real-time on the map, which can also be oriented to match where you are looking at.
Save and retrieve landmarks, share them with your friends. Track your path, get advanced statistics and interactive graphics. You won't have anymore questions about what you can accomplish.
By staying fully operational out of cell coverage (as often in mountain or abroad), AlpineQuest assists you in all your desires of deep wilderness exploring...
Don't hesitate, try the free Lite version right now!
Note: IGN Top25(c) and OSGB Explorer(c) maps are available in the old MemoryMap(c) QCT format, but NOT included with the application.
PLEASE report suggestions and issues on our dedicated forum: http://www.alpinequest.net/forum (no registration needed, all questions answered).
Do not use comments for that: we cannot answer!
Key features are:
★★ Maps ★★
• Built-in online maps (with automatic local storage; road, topo and satellite maps included);
• Built-in online layers (road names and hills shading);
• Get more online maps and layers in one click from the included community map list (Nokia maps, Yahoo! Maps, local topo maps, ...);
• Complete area storage of online maps for off-line use;
• On-board offline maps support (visit our website to get the free map creator MOBAC);
• Memory-Map support (QuickChart .qct maps only, .qc3 maps not compatible, the free version allows a one map test display);
• Multiple maps in layers display, with per-map opacity control;
• Advanced SD memory card Map Explorer and Scanner.
★★ Landmarks ★★
• Save, restore, display unlimited number of waypoints;
• Full GPX support (display/browse/create/edit of waypoints, routes and tracks);
• Google Earth KML/KMZ, OziExplorer WPT Waypoints, CSV/TSV files and Geocaching LOC files read/import support;
• Save and share online locations with other users using Community Landmarks;
• Details, advanced statistics and interactive graphics on various items;
• Time Controller to replay time-tagged tracks;
• Routes, tracks and areas creator;
• Advanced SD memory card Landmarks Explorer.
★★ GPS Position / Orientation ★★
• On-map geolocation using GPS or Network;
• Map orientation, compass and target finder;
• Built-in GPS/Barometric Tracker (long tracking capable, running in a separate and light process);
• Proximity alerts and leave path alerts;
• Barometer support (for compatible devices).
★★ And more: ★★
• Metric, imperial and hybrid distance units;
• GPS Latitude/Longitude and grid coordinate formats (UTM, MGRS, USNG, OSGB Grid, Irish Grid, Swiss Grid, Lambert Grids, DFCI Grid, QTH Maidenhead Locator System, ...);
• Ability to import hundreds of coordinate formats from http://www.spatialreference.org;
• On-map grids display;
• Full screen map view;
• Multi-touch zoom;
About the "Phone state and identity" Android permission: due to the backward compatibility of AlpineQuest with Android 1.5, this permission is automatically added by Google Play.
Known Issue : Adding photos will not work in Android Honeycomb Tablets. We are working to fix this issue.
Your privacy is guaranteed. The app does not ask for any internet permission. You can be rest assured that none of the details are sent to any server. The app only requests for location permission, so that you can record your location along with your hiking memory.
- Add unlimited hike photos
- Edit hike records.
- Record hiking co-ordinates.
- Record location and name of hiking trail.
- Record weather during your hike.
- Record length of hike.
- Record difficulty level of hike.
- Record any other notes.
The compass display shows your current bearing and the bearing to your destination. Data fields include your current speed and altitude, and the distance, both horizontal and vertical, to your selected destination. Unlike most electronic compasses, which are notoriously inaccurate, this compass can be calibrated for greater precision.
The map uses Google's maps and satellite views and shows your current location, a log of your track, your saved positions, and destinations.
The satellites display shows the current GPS satellites, their azimuth and signal-to-noise ratio, and whether they have the current ephemeris data. Data fields include your current latitude, longitude, and altitude, and an estimate of the accuracy of the current GPS fix.
Preloaded with over 2,900 destinations in the western United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Save your current position to the destinations list to use on your return and in later hikes. Send your current position to your friends by email, text, Twitter, or Facebook. Log your tracks and view them on the map.
New in 1.2, two ways to add positions with actually being there: Tap the map or enter a street address.
This app is not intended for use in situations where your survival is at stake. The electronic compass is no substitute for a real compass, nor is the electronic map a substitute for a real map. Always carry a real compass and a real map when hiking.
With the wonderful OpenStreetMap maps, you can view the trail path and nearby points of interest. Once you have found a trail, you can download it as KML file, compatible with OruxMaps, Google MyTracks or any other GPS navigator. Also, you can add the trail to your favorites list, to review it whenever you want.
★ More than 150,000 trails all around the world, with GPS tracks and pois.
★ Search trails based on your location.
★ Search trails by city or countries, to plan a travel.
★ Descriptive information for each trail.
★ Share a trail / map with your WhatsApp contacts, even thought if they dont have Android or Hiking Trails app.
★ Unlimited trails Download in KML format, compatible with all the main GPS browsers: Orux Maps, Google MyTracks, Google Earth, etc.
★ Favorites lists, to review a trail whenever you want.
★ Comment and disqus each trail (without registering).
★ Locate your position on the map.
★ View photos around each trail.
★ View Google Street View panoramas around each trail, if available.
★ Share lists of favorites to your WhatsApp contacts.
★ Heat maps to see the most popular areas for hiking
* Great for tracking any outdoor activity: hiking, trekking, biking, walking …
* Upload all your trails to the cloud.
* Add pictures to your hikes, points of interest and comments as you go and post it to Facebook if you want.
* Share any trail with your friends
* Are you going somewhere and need to look for a hike there? Find new trails wherever you go, and follow them!
* Write&Read reviews of your favorite hikes or routes
* Checkout trail profiles (time, distance, speed, elevation, …)
* Save any route to “Your tracks” and follow it later in offline mode.
* Import or export any track in GPX, KML format.
* Continue or follow an existing route.
* Manage all your trails also at www.pinroute.com
hiking, hike tracks, trek, treking, trail, gps
Coverage of the routes is limited, but everybody can help completing the route network. HikeNode gets its routes from OpenWandelKaart.nl that gets its data from OpenStreetMap.org.
Hiking Trail HK intends to solve some issues related to hiking, in order to make hiking easier, safer and smoother.
Currently, Hiking Trail HK can help you to plan route and obtain position during hiking. Route drawing function helps you to plan route, and mark some points of interest. Elevation profile helps you to check the difficulty of a route, and estimate the time needed. During hiking, offline map and GPS locking function allows fast positioning, even if there is no data connection. Route deviation alert function prevents getting lost.
Your outdoor adventures deserve more than a simple blog entry or status update. This is you overcoming the impossible, white knuckled and covered in dirt, and doing things you only dreamed of doing. When you’re experiencing the best that Mother Nature has to offer, ramblr provides a way to chronicle your expeditions using stats, pics, videos, descriptions and maps. Whether you’re hiking, biking, skiing, kayaking, or road tripping, you can finally tell your story the way it was meant to be told.
Capture the highlights of your trip
• Track your route on the map – see where you’ve been and where you’re going.
• Revel in the glory of your accomplishments – check out statistics for your trip, such as speed, duration, distance, highest point, etc.
• Record video, pics, audio and text descriptions and tag it to points on your map. Relive the full experience of your trip.
• Create a story – use your video and audio recordings, statistics and map tracking to build a rich, detailed record of your journey.
Share your story
• Upload and share memories from your adventures without any hassle. Whether you’re climbing mountains, surviving white water rapids, or generally conquering the world, sharing the details of your trip can be the farthest thing from your mind. Facebook and Twitter integration make it easy and effortless to update your friends on where you are on your journey.
Find your way
• Use the built-in GPS system for directions and routes.
• Download public trips from our server for real-time guidance on your own journey.
Experience other stories
• Don’t know what adventure to embark on? Browse and access trips taken by your friends and others.
• Search for trips by video and audio recordings, map locations, keywords or by name.
Learn more about how you can record and share your next adventure like never before at www.ramblr.com.
Best of the Superior Hiking Trail includes:
- descriptions of each hike
- a trail map for each hike
- directions to the starting points
- all trail maps are included in the download
Superior Hiking Trail Highlights:
- extends over 280 miles from Duluth, Minnesota to the Canadian border
- designed for both day hikes and backpacking
- passes through both public and private lands
- easily accessible every few miles
- signs at the access points
- trail is well marked with blue paint blazes along the trail
- wear sturdy footwear
- carry water and snacks
- bring rain gear
- allow one hour for every one to two miles walked
Dogs are allowed on leash only. No off-road vehicles or bicycles allowed. Camping only in designated sites.
The Superior Hiking Trail Association builds, maintains, and manages the trail with the help of hundreds of members and volunteers.
Quechua Tracking is a must-have app, providing essential features to enable you to track your hikes.
GPS Tracking and permanent geolocation feature for your safety, a record chart and option to create a hiking journal that you can share with your friends etc. Thanks to Quechua Tracking, your smartphone can be converted into a genuine outdoor GPS and can keep a record of all your hiking experiences.
Localization system and safety:
Using the collaborative map, OpenStreetMap-Landscape, Quechua allows you to find out your GPS position, in real time, anywhere in the world.
This map is updated with new details every day, thanks to the contributions of internet users. It also has special outdoor graphics (with contour lines, trails, vegetation, ski-lifts, etc.)
Zoom available up to a scale of approximately 1/10000m (depending on resolution of smartphone)
If you wish to provide rapid and accurate information to the emergency services about your location, in the event of an incident, you can simply send a screenshot of your position on the map by text or MMS.
If you're worried about poor network coverage during your hike, Quechua Tracking includes a function that allows you to "download a map:" pay a one-off charge of EUR 1.99 (InApp Purchase) and then you can download, onto your mobile, the appropriate base map for the route you wish to take.
Quechua Tracking allows you to view your activity and your performances: altitude, cumulative elevation gain/loss, distance covered, climbing speed, walking time etc. This will help you focus your efforts and improve your hiking time.
Start and finish points, elevation gain/loss, route, duration, speed etc. Quechua Tracking allows you to record information about your trip, combine photos and comments and create your very own HikeBook®: a new type of hiking journal, incorporating your finest memories.
You can share photos taken during your hike, at any time on Facebook™ or e-mail your Hikebook® to selected individuals.
-Geolocation and tracking on OpenStreetMap-Landscape
-Share your GPS position via text or send a screenshot of your map position via MMS.
-Downloadable map (chargeable)
-"Mountain" record chart
-Save and share photos
-Create and share a HikeBook®, a hiking journal documenting the thrill and excitement of the hiking experience
Je kan alle wandelknooppunten op kaart bekijken en knooppunt per knooppunt een wandeltocht op maat uitstippelen. Het kan ook sneller: via de handige Surprise Me functie kun je een bepaald wandelknooppunt kiezen en de app een route met een afstand naar keuze laten berekenen. Bovendien kun je alle uitgetekende wandelroutes opslaan zodat je ze later kan hergebruiken.
Daarnaast kun je ook achter je PC wandeltochtjes uitstippelen via onze handige online routeplanner op www.wandelknooppunt.be. Je kan daar voor elke route een zogenaamde QR-code genereren. Deze code kun je met behulp van de app inscannen waarna de route naar je smartphone wordt geïmporteerd. Zo heb je geen papiertjes meer nodig tijdens je wandeltocht. Handig toch?
Je kan tijdens de wandeltocht ook makkelijk gebruik maken van de ingebouwde GPS-functie. Zo raak je nooit meer de weg kwijt als er onderweg bordjes verdwenen zijn. Wanneer je op 25 meter van een wandelknooppunt komt, toont de app je welk nieuw knooppunt je moet volgen. Voor abonnees is er ook stemnavigatie: als je in de buurt van een knooppunt komt, vertelt de app je welk volgend knooppunt je moet volgen. Je hoeft dus niet constant naar je scherm te staren. Stop je smartphone in je broekzak en wandelen maar! Je kan ook steeds via Google Maps navigeren naar het startpunt van de wandelroute.
Als je abonnee wordt voor de prijs van 2.89 euro per jaar heb je de mogelijkheid om elke uitgestippelde route te downloaden op smartphone. Je hebt zo tijdens het fietsen geen internetverbinding nodig en bespaart op het verbruik van mobiel internet. Daarnaast kun je als abonnee ook gebruik maken van stemnavigatie. Een vrouwelijke stem vertelt je als je in de buurt van een knooppunt komt wat het volgende te volgen knooppunt is.
Een absolute must voor elke wandelaar!