A daily TV/radio news program, hosted by Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez, airing on over 900 stations, pioneering the largest community media collaboration in the United States.
Democracy Now! is a national, daily, independent, award-winning news program hosted by journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez. Pioneering the largest public media collaboration in the U.S., Democracy Now! is broadcast on Pacifica, NPR, community, and college radio stations; on public access, PBS, satellite television (DISH network: Free Speech TV ch. 9415 and Link TV ch. 9410; DIRECTV: Free Speech TV ch. 348 and Link TV ch. 375); and on the internet. DN!’s podcast is one of the most popular on the web.
WHY INDEPENDENT MEDIA ?
For true democracy to work, people need easy access to independent, diverse sources of news and information.
But the last two decades have seen unprecedented corporate media consolidation. The U.S. media was already fairly homogeneous in the early 1980s: some fifty media conglomerates dominated all media outlets, including television, radio, newspapers, magazines, music, publishing and film. In the year 2000, just six corporations dominated the U.S. media.
In addition, corporate media outlets in the U.S. are legally responsible to their shareholders to maximize profits.
Democracy Now! is funded entirely through contributions from listeners, viewers, and foundations. We do not accept advertisers, corporate underwriting, or government funding. This allows us to maintain our independence.
status bar notification on new podcasts[enabled by default, can be turned off in settings]
ability to tweet or post the chosen podcast to facebook
Pause on incoming phone call
Save where you left off (audio only)
* Find your representatives, see how they vote
* See what bills are coming up for a vote next
* Search for bills and votes you should know about
* Stay on top of floor activity, committee hearings
* Be notified of just about everything
Answers to common questions:
* Members of Congress don't have public email addresses.
* The app DOES NOT do anything on boot, unless you enable notifications - in which case, it quickly schedules notification checks, and then stops.
* The app is allowed to make phone calls ONLY when you tap the "Call" button for a member of Congress.
* The app uses your location ONLY to find your local representative. Your location data is encrypted during transmission to our servers, and your latitude and longitude are not stored on the app or on our servers.
* The app requests to write to external storage only to cache map tiles.
* We collect anonymous app usage statistics by default. To opt out: from the main screen, tap the menu on the top right, tap Settings, then uncheck "Allow Analytics".
Finally, this app is proudly open source:
• Get the facts: Have a friend who wants to know exactly what kind of impact the President has had in your state? Need to know about new voting laws or deadlines? All the facts you need, localized for you.
• Take action: Sign up to canvass—then get started right away with a list of voters in your neighborhood. Access scripts and enter feedback and responses in real time as you go.
• Find events: Find campaign events near you—from volunteer events to visits from the President and First Lady. RSVP, invite friends, and get there on time with full map integration.
• Share breaking news: Get the most important news of the day, and keep your friends and family in the loop on Facebook, Twitter, and via email and text message.
• Get out the vote: Access voting and registration rules for your state, help register friends, and make sure supporters get to the polls on Election Day.
• Donate: Help build this campaign one grassroots donation at a time.