This is a simple app to display useful information on a tablet that is mounted behind a two-way mirror so that the text appears to float on the surface of the mirror. I've had it running in my house for several years and I still love it - it is both a great conversation piece and genuinely useful. The materials cost me about $130. You can see a few pictures from the construction here: https://imgur.com/gallery/DsXyt
The main advantage of this app is a fully configurable UI, so you don't have to be a programmer to use it. Just configure it with your location, the stocks you want to track, your nearest bus/train stop, etc and mount it in a frame. There are many other "smart mirror" type projects out there, search for "magic mirror" or "smart mirror" if this one doesn't suit your fancy, but most of them will require you to do some coding. If you don't mind a little coding, this app is open source (https://github.com/ineptech/mirror) and is free for anyone to use for any purpose.
* Time, Day of week
* Birthdays and Holidays (configurable)
* Appointments and reminders from your Google Calendar
* Current temperature and high/low for the day (from forecast.io)
* Stock quotes (from yahoo) (UPDATE: this is broken, due to Yahoo ending their free stock quotes service. I'll fix it when I have time...)
* Time til your bus/train arrives (takes some technical savvy to set up, but no coding required)
* Configurable brightness and font sizes
* WebModule - loads a brief text message from an arbitrary url
* Ability to use Celsius (can't believe I didn't think of that)
* Bug fix on "Latitude" not saving right
I can't put instructions on configuring the app here because Google will reject the app for keyword spam. Please see the github page (https://github.com/ineptech/mirror) for detailed instructions on building the mirror and configuring the app.